Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #1
Sapcanmike

M.O.C. #17953
High country 343rl slides sag

Hi, we're looking to buy a 2012 montana high country 343rl and I noticed that the slides sag down when they are extended out. I didn't know if that's normal for the high country with the cable system they use or is there an adjustment that can be done. We don't want to buy a problem that can't be fixed or expensive to repair. We really like the floor plan and the weight. I understand that we sacrifice some quality for weight and price, but we are weekend and a couple weeks a years campers so we think this unit would be good for us.

Sapcanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The HCs have cable slides. 4 cables pull the slide out 4 cables pull it in. Each cable can be adjusted individually. The motor is in the inside over the top of the slide. They adjust with a 7/16 wrench. It's easy to do, loosen the top cables and tighten the bottom out cables until they slide out straight. With that said I was not able to get my main slide exactly right. The bottom inside is about 1/2 inch from closing up as tight as the top. It still seals no air leak. I have checked lots of them and have not found one that was adjusted like the manufacturer says it should be. My main slide is a lot longer than any of yours. The longer they are the harder they are to adjust. A couple of people on MOC have had the cable ends to pull off or the cable break. I have a machine shop and have made some repair kids to fix the cables. They are easy to use. You can have the cable fixed and back on the road in lass than an hour. The best part is they are free. If you buy the camper and ever need one go to my web site call me and I will send you one.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
Sapcanmike

M.O.C. #17953
Thanks for the info MLH, I did have the sales guy work the slides for me and I took a peek at the mechanism for the slide. IT sounds like it will be ok. I was concerned because when the slide out was in, it met the body of the rv evenly, but extended the bottom of the slide was in about an inch and the top was touching the wall. I'm fairly handy, so if the adjustment are in the manual, I should be good to go.
The only other issue is the floor in the big slide bows. I was thinking of pulling up the carpetc and putting heavier plywood down to strengthen the floor. It is only noticeable at the dinning table.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The floor in my 323 feels good but you know how they are built and I mean all campers. Make it look good. If you get it and I can help let me know. I really like my HC. For my use I would rather have it than a Montana.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #5
Sapcanmike

M.O.C. #17953
We really like this model. We'll probably try to purchase this unit (pending negotiations). As for the floor in the slide, I'll carefully remove the carpet so I can reuse it and then see if I'll want to replace the floor or overlay with a 5/8 or 3/4" plywood. The original plywood looks to be 3/8 or 1/2". It's not rotten, just not thick enough to do the job.