Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2008, 01:42 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Power Awnings

Well, we went to a RV and Boat show last night, were tempted by a Big Sky that we have been debating for a couple months, but have decided (for now) to keep our good old 2007 3400rl. As part of the decision we have mutually agreed to continue pouring money into the bottomless pit called UPGRADES, MODIFICATION AND ADDITIONS. New for this year will be the rear-view camera system, tire pressure monitoring system, basement LCD HDTV and finally a power awning (both of us have bad backs and the conventional awnings are pain-inducers). I am hereby faithfully (can't do anything without forum input) soliciting advice regarding the pros and cons of power awnings. We are strong believers in attaching neighbor blinding, garish, tacky awning lights to our existing one and am wondering about the applicability of hanging the same lights and DW's other myriad of attachments (wind chimes, welcome signs, birdhouse, etc.) to the awning. Also, does anybody strap the power awnings down or not?? Possibly a quick-connect, quick-disconnect sytem of some sort for the attachments??? Any ideas out there????
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:29 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Bingo, the power awnings are now standard on the new Montanas. They also have the wind sensor so they will retract when the wind gets to a certain velocity. Now, as far as putting the lights and such, when the wind blew too much before, you had to get up at 3am to take the lights off and roll up the old one. I believe you can turn off the sensor, but if the wind would be too excessive, the replacement cost for the power awning will be a lot higher than the old rollup one.
I personally like the new power ones, but then I'd have to leave Pattis "Lil Ky lights" in the basement, not thats a good thought there!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:15 AM   #3
timothy
Established Member

M.O.C. #6723
Just getting ready to go myself. Bingo, Who had the Big Sky? Peggy called Friday to remind us they would be at the show.
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:19 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We love our electric. The only time I need a ladder is if I accidentally leave the remote on the roof of the truck .

You don't want to tie them down, nor do you want to hang a lot of lights on them. They are a completely different design that relies on the ability of the scissor arms to absorb a breeze pushing up or down on the awning fabric while the gas shocks in the arms try and keep tension on the fabric by pushing back out on the arms. It is a nice passive design that is somewhat quieter than the standard awning and doesn't require de-flappers. However, if you tie it down, you convert that design into a standard awning with very weak vertical supports. The whole idea is you retract it when you leave, when you go to sleep, or when the wind gets to be too much. You can always have it back with the push of a button.

We chose the Carefree Travlr Power Arms as a retrofit to our existing A&E awning. The Travlr is the same non-automatic electric that came out on the Big Sky in 2007, and we felt the Carefree was more stout than the A&E electric counterpart (as demonstrated by the Dealer when compared side to side on their display). The power arms replace the original A&E arms and the springs are removed from the awning tube. The rest stays. There are some holes to fill, but there will be with either brand, as the lower arm brackets are no longer required. We had the forward holes filled at a body shop, and installed a step light over the rear holes.

Have fun!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Love the power awning with wind sensor. Go for it! I love ours!
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:39 PM   #6
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

Bingo, the power awnings are now standard on the new Montanas. They also have the wind sensor so they will retract when the wind gets to a certain velocity. Now, as far as putting the lights and such, when the wind blew too much before, you had to get up at 3am to take the lights off and roll up the old one. I believe you can turn off the sensor, but if the wind would be too excessive, the replacement cost for the power awning will be a lot higher than the old rollup one.
I personally like the new power ones, but then I'd have to leave Pattis "Lil Ky lights" in the basement, not thats a good thought there!
We have the 2008 3400RL with the electric awnning,is the wind sensor standard? How can I tell if ours has the sensor?
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:10 AM   #7
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Jack, I don't know that the Montana has the wind sensor. I'm probably assumed they do and you know what assumptions are!
I just assumed they do since they were the automatic ones, sorry, I spoke without knowing for sure.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:14 AM   #8
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
If you have a wind sensor, there will be a micro toggle switch on the narrow side of the electric awning control box. Our control box is in the basement and the toggle switch (to turn the wind sensor on and off) is on the side of the control box facing the inside of the basement. I have to crawl in to look at the swich. Also, you can climb on your roof. The wind sensor is the unidentified circular thing too small to be a plumbing vent and usually has a chrome top. (took me for ever to figure out that was the wind sensor. Come to think of it, model number on the control box and a quick internet search might tell you also.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
With the auto wind sensor I would have one...It is one our wish list now..It was not without the auto wind sensor. We do not hang stuff off our awning so that is not a problem. Looking forward to the fall rally for perhaps a good price.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:46 PM   #10
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
My 2008 3000RK also did not come with a wind sensor.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:12 PM   #11
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Our 2008 didn't come with a power awning, the old standard armstrong. I wish when they do upgrades they would do the at the start of the model year
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:26 PM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Brad,
How noticeable are the repaired holes from the changeover, now you got DW having second thoughts???
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:58 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bingo,

What holes . The rear holes are now a light - the fronts were gell repaired by a body shop (of course that is skill based and varies by shop and craftsman). If the monty wasn't going to the body shop for some blemish work paid by Keystone, I probably would not have filled the holes in the front, rather I would have just left the bolts in them with some silicone.

http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL152.../251783530.jpg

http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL152.../301018674.jpg
Old 01-27-2008, 03:52 PM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks Brad,
Now if I can just figure out an alternative for hanging the lights and everything, we will probably go ahead with the new awning. I am thinking of some kind of ground posts (with a rod running beneath the awning edge) at the corners of the awning to stretch the lights on. I think I can do something that won't detract from the overall looks too much.
Bingo
Old 01-27-2008, 04:18 PM   #15
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

Jack, I don't know that the Montana has the wind sensor. I'm probably assumed they do and you know what assumptions are!
I just assumed they do since they were the automatic ones, sorry, I spoke without knowing for sure.
No problem Steve,looking it over closely I guess I don't have the rain sensor, oh well I guess I'll have to push the button if it rains.
Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I do hang lights on mine, but I clip them to the hem so they can be easily removed. (pardon the lack of artistic effort in the pic, we got the lights as a gift on our maiden voyage and I just pulled them out of th box and hung them up). What I really want is palm trees like I saw in the Quartzite pics .

http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL152.../301029232.jpg
Old 01-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #17
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
[quote]Originally posted by bsmeaton

I do hang lights on mine, but I clip them to the hem so they can be easily removed. (pardon the lack of artistic effort in the pic, we got the lights as a gift on our maiden voyage and I just pulled them out of th box and hung them up). What I really want is palm trees like I saw in the Quartzite pics .

Careful what you wish for...

http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/pr...&CategoryID=62
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:46 AM   #18
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Now that is a strong possibility, however personally I will pass on the Palm Tree. However, if DW sees those flamingo lights on the page that William posted, I can see a major conflict arising. Or, I could get two of the palm trees, set them at the awning corners, string the CW globe lights between them and restore all semblances of tackiness to the campsite. Cool, now I just have to figure out where DW will want to set the flamingos (since as a good hubby, I am unfortunately obligated to show her........Thanks William!!!!)(dripping sarcasm intended).
Bingo

Old 01-28-2008, 02:22 AM   #19
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Bingo, you could rig something up using "Shepherd's Hooks" like for hanging baskets. They would also be good for the birdhouse, birdfeeder, plants, etc.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #20
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Bingo,
No wind sensor on ours but I hang "junk" and do tie it down. I have a nylon strap that does from a hook in the ground, over the top of the awning and down to the ground on the other side. It worked great last year and plan to use it again. If it looks like it is going to blow hard I will take it all down.

Good luck
Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote