Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Slippery conditions

I have two topics but are connected as you will see.
First, my ego bubble was busted real badly by Red our 3500 4x4 Dodge, with normal street tires. We have Red and Monty parked in the back yard with a gravel road to access it. There is an incline from the back yard to the main highway. We had four or five inches of snow on Tuesday/Wednesday. I back Red and Monty up the access road to load them and then went to park them in back. When trying to pull forward and up the incline Red just SPUN. So I put it in 4X4 low and we just spun. My neighbor had to come over with his “bush buggy” a Chevy Blazer 4x4 with 36 inch knobby tires. He hooked on to the front of Red and we got them out to the main road where Red could pull on his own.
I thought my 4x4 would pull anything. What a humbling experience.
Second we spent last night at Fort AP Hill, VA. on route 301, about 15 miles from I 95. There was a cold freezing rain front moving across the area just as we left at 8:45 this morning. An 18 wheeler called me on the CB advising that the bridge up ahead was covered with black ICE and his side (opposite to mine) had a rollover. Just as I got to the bridge traveling at about 35 MPH a pickup passed me and lost it on the bridge. He climbed the median guard rail with his front and then rear tire, stayed up right, and pulled away about 10 minutes later. Well he made it one half a mile down the road before the truck quit. I pulled to the shoulder and waited for the salt shaker (sand truck) to treat the bridge. After waiting a half hour for the sand truck and then an hour at the fuel stop we headed south on I 95. We observed an 18 wheeler laying on its side as well as many other vehicles in the ditch. The temperature was up and the roads were just wet when we headed south.
The two experiences really got my attention. I remember the post about pulling with chains out west. I know now, I will not pull if the road conditions are slippery. Moving 22,000 pounds on ice or snow is not fun.
Be safe and Merry Christmas.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
John, Gald to hear you are safe. Also timely post with the cold weather and winter upon us. Being in Oregon, I still need to get a set of chains for the Monty before we leave in January for parts warmer.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
John, So glad to hear that you all are safe and almost out of the bad weather on your way to Florida. We was suppose to get freezing rain and snow here in Nevada and something happen and the storm split and went around us so far. You all travel safe.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Now that is a scary thought to be hanging on for traction with all that weight. I've often thought about making the winter escape with my trailer to points south in the winter. I'm of the ilk (?) that I can drive/tow anything, but this sends chills down my spine...maybe an airplane to the warm climates is a better idea after all, like we've been doing.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozzie

-snip- I'm of the ilk (?) that I can drive/tow anything, but this sends chills down my spine. -snip -
Ozzie, you said it best. I felt I could drive/tow anything anywhere with the 4X4. Well I have definitely adjusted that feeling. That was the point I was trying to make. Thanks.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
John, how are the roads up that way now? We are heading to VBeach on Monday and really don't want to deal with that sort of weather at the moment.. Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
John,
Be careful Brother!

You know the driveway is always open. I can only give you 115V right now, but it will keep the refrigerator and one air conditioner going - I know because that's what I do right now when loading/unloading. But the guest room is open and you are more than welcome - anytime.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:26 AM   #8
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
We came by AP Hill yesterday about 8 hours behind John. The roads were fine, mostly dry. There was still an 18 wheeler on its side on 95 and the left two lanes of the Richmond by-pass were closed for a stretch that backed up traffic but other than that, no problem. We are just south of the VA/NC line now (9:30 AM) and it is hazy overcast and about 54 degrees.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:57 PM   #9
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Thanks for the reminder about slick ice. We just left the Alaska bush where we drive on ice, snow, and the frozen river. Sanding etc is not done there at all. However, we can only drive about 25 miles per hour in the village. We are about to embark across the Alcan with our new rig. Concern has convinced me to install studded tires on the TV and get chains for TV and Elly Mae (our Monty). Something about crossing the Canadian Rockies at New Years with only 2 hours of day light that convinced me more traction would be helpful.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote