Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
PullRite Superglide Hitch Question

I wrote to PullRite Hitch Tech about the Superglide hitch and what model they could recommend for my vehicle. Below is their response.
Knowing there are some real sharpies on this forum, please offer your input or advice as it relates to my specific question. I am considering the purchase of a 2008 3400RL, so if you can use the truck and 5th wheel considered, please provide me your input.

Quoteennis,

I can tell you that the Chevy offers the most cab to axel clearance over the 3 major truck manufactures. The bed height does have some affect since there is no adjustment in the height of the hitch any adjustment would need to come from the pin box. How wide of a trailer do you plan to pull? Also does the king pin stick out in front of the trailer or is it tucked underneath the trailer and by how much in inches?

Pullrite Unquote

Thanks Everyone.
Dennis

Truck:2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Reg Bed (6'6") New Body

mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well we use the pullrite hitch on a ford f250 shot box and i can make over a 90 deg as i had to in a little parking lot ,, you need a 16000 lb or more as the future is you never know ,, if they offer a 20000 lb i would go that way today ,, i pull a 3000rk with mine and its great
pullrite is now gun shy as they in the past said it would fit any truck made and that is not true as it won't fit a nissan as it can't haul the wt it can pull but not haul, same with all the 1/2 ton units but you are on a 3/4 so no problem john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dennis,
"Chevy offers the most cab to axel clearance" - this refers to the distance from the back of the cab to the center of the rear axle where your hitch will be mounted. To give an example; the distance from your rear window to the center of the rear axle is 36". The Montana is 8' or 96" wide. Take the 96/2= 48". This is the purpose of the Superglide...you cannot get 48" of coach into 36" of space. By sliding the kingpin back 14" you will have a combined 50" of space to get 48" of coach into.

The bed height of the "new body" bed is 2" taller than the classic bed depth. The Superglide cannot be adjusted vertically, so any and all adjustments must come from the kingpin. My extended kingpin has three adjustment holes, but I believe the new Montana's only have two. On my specific truck, there is more than 9" of clearance between the bed rails and the coach.

"How wide of a trailer do you plan to pull?" This question was asked because some of the larger/heavier 5th wheels on the market are 101" or 8.5" wide. The standard 18K Superglide will not give you enough clearance for a 101" wide coach. You would need to step up to the 24K Superglide which gives 18" of slide clearance. The problem with this would be you are well over the GVWR on a 2500HD when towing a coach that would require the 24K Superglide.

"Also does the king pin stick out in front of the trailer or is it tucked underneath the trailer and by how much in inches?" This was asked because the extended kingpin will give you additional clearance between the truck and coach. King pins that stick out in front of the coach puts the coach farther behind the hitch than a coach that has a non-extended king pin. The Pullrite website has a few graphics showing exactly how the different lengths of the king pin effect the overall clearance between the coach and truck.

Hope this helps and does not confuse you more...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:19 AM   #4
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Thanks for the explanations thus far. Montana Sky really laid out the scenario but did lose me a little, (ain't hard to do!).Thanks to Sailer as well.

I understand the first example of 36" from rear window to center of rear axle.

I lost you on next statement, about 8'wide (96"0 then taking that and dividing by 2? Were these 2 separate, cause one was length then switched to width?

If you have a 9" clearance on your 2004, then is it ok to assume that I would have approximately a 7" clearance cause the new body is 2" greater in depth?? One final...does not the kingpin on Montana's stick out and on your 3400RL do you know how much it does stick out? Thanks for all your advice. Dennis
Old 09-12-2007, 05:13 AM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
mail2us, What Montana Sky is talking about is the following. The distance from the back of the truck to where the hitch hooked to the trailer is 36 inches and the distance from the center pin to the edge of your unit is 43 inches (half of the 96 inches). Then in a sharp turn your unit would hit the cab of your truck. Therefore the distance needs to be more than 36 inches from the back of your truck.That is why some use the slider. Now on the new models the front cap is made so you can turn sharper than the old design.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:24 AM   #6
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Half of 96 inches width is 48 inches.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:33 AM   #7
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Be careful and check with the trailer manufacture as changing pin boxes could void the warranty. This has been discussed before. If you have a short box truck you might want to look at slider hitches and also when considering this also later you might want to go to a air hitch. Just some things to consider before buying something and then later wishing you had bought something else.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:00 AM   #8
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Thanks everyone. I did understand Mudchief and Devildogs math as well. It seems to me, that the Superglide will fit my truck even though the bed is 2 inches higher that prior years. I think it's still lower than most Ford beds?? They appear to be higher or more depth than Chevys.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Mudchief,
Thank you for clarifying my previous statement.

mail2us,
I am not an expert, but it is my opinion that the Superglide should work for your application. My kingpin is the old style of extended kingpin. It sticks out much further than the new updated kingpins Keystone is now installing on the Montana.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:19 AM   #10
quarrles
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7626
Does NISSAN make a "TRUCK"?

Just foolin', almost...John
quarrles is offline   Reply With Quote