Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2007, 01:02 AM   #1
trfield58
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7109
Installing Rear Camera cable

I was hoping someone could provide some guidance on the installation of the cable for my rearview backup camera I just purchased from Tim at RV Cams. I have an 07' 3600 RE and I will be placing it on the upper section of the rear fiberglass cap of the Monty. It looks like I can simply drill a hole where the camera will be placed and then use a "fish tape" and push it towards the rear tail light opening????? From there, I would be able to run the cable along the bottom of the rig, and then be able to get out to the Pin Box???

Thanks,
Tim

trfield58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:32 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
What I did was drill right through the cap into the cabinet back, up high. I then took the lead through the back of the cabinet inside the trailer to the corner of the wall next to the window. Then down the wall, (curtain covers it) to the floor, then there is a cap, carpeted on mine, with two screws, take that off, drill through the floor by the water intake. I went down under the trailer and up to the front.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:24 AM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
The way Ozz did it will be a lot easier. Dieselguy told me how he did his in the back cap and that is the way I did mine. You have to use a fiberglass rod and go up through the tail light opening and hit a 1 inch square notch in the roof plywood. That is the fun part. Then remove the back corner marker light and hook the rod and pull it to the hole and connect a pull cord to it. Then remove the rod so the pull cord runs between the two holes. Next remove the back center light and run the rod between the two marker lights and add a pull cord. Run the cable along the outside of the frame to the propane compartment. Next run into the front compartment then follow the hydraulic line up through the floor under the bed. Then follow the wall into the closet ans drill a hole through the floor so it comes out where the pin box is. This took me about 5 hours to do. But I am glad I installed the camera. If you would like I can send you some pictures.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:17 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Being extremely lazy not to mention work challenged, I mounted mine on the top rung of the Ladder, (3400) ran the cable down the ladder, under the camper along the under belly with Gorilla tape then up into the right side propane compartment into the bedoom floor ubder the dresser, along the wall board into the closet then down into the top of the hitch. If I get a surge of energy I may run it inside the under belly but that sounds work intensive so it probably will never happen. Been that way for way over a year..no problems..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:12 AM   #5
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Dennis, how about posting the pictures???
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:31 AM   #6
trfield58
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7109
Thanks for the ideas. I'm hoping to be able to fish a line in the fiberglass end cap WITHOUT evening going to the inside of the Monty. It looks like the cap is "hollow" enough to go from the top and then down to the tail light opening which would then get me to the underbelly of the unit......I guess I'll find out this weekend....????....
Old 08-29-2007, 02:26 AM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
The cap is hollow, but removing the end clearance light and the corresponding tail light is almost mandatory. I also didn't want to go thru the wall and across the cabinetry and thru the floor. The lights remove easily. There is but a small opening in the plywood planking next to the clearance light as you transition down to the tail light ... I used a fishtape to go thru the clearance light hole, then thru a small hole in the very corner of the planking behind the rear cap and then on down to the tail light hole. From there I went on and routed it inside the underbelly and so on. It takes some patience, but it turned out well. Don't over tighten the lights upon reassembly as the fiberglass is thin!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:31 AM   #8
trfield58
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7109
Got it!!! Makes sense Dieselguy.... Ok, I'll "Get Er Done" this weekend with any luck. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Tim
Old 08-29-2007, 05:57 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Guys, I understand the hesitation on drilling into the cabinets and running the cable inside, but....
As a troubleshooter, I am always thinking about service, or revisiting an install. I have had cable problems, and Monitor black out problems, I was glad that the short end of the camera feed was inside where I could get to it. My Monitor was blank in the truck once, so I unplugged the monitor and went to the front of the Monte and plugged it in there, got 12 volts and still no picture. I then went inside the Monte where the feed comes in through the cabinet and unplugged the trailer cable. I plugged the monitor in and got power. I had a picture. This told me that the problem was not with the camera. If the camera lead, (about 4 to 6') was inside the cap, I would not have been able to troubleshoot the system.
Also, now that I have to change the 75' trailer cable, I can just unplug the camera feed and start there. Lots easier than dealing with the connections inside the cap.
Here are some pictures of the feed through along with some shade pictures for another post:
Camera cable and rear shade pictures
Old 08-29-2007, 11:31 AM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
OZZ: Actually, the camera lead that plugs into the 75' coax ends up right behind the clearance marker ... but aside from that, I see your concern. I'm still hard headed about thru the wall across the cabinetry and down thru the floor.
PS: I wrapped that connection with electrical tape to seal the connection and to prevent pulling it apart on install.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:17 PM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good call.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:59 PM   #12
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
One other thing I did was pull in another pull cord when I pulled in the coax. That way in the future if I need to pull some other cable i want have to do any fishing for that 1 inch hole.
1200 watts of Solar
Old 08-29-2007, 02:01 PM   #13
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I see in the Pep Boys sale paper they have a wireless camera and monitor (color) for less than $80 with rebate.
Anyone tried this type?
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:24 PM   #14
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
The Oldguard, here are a few pictures of the back. I can't find the others. I will take some more tomorrow of the front area and post them.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=67ffi38
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6b1dbhc
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6ba4qdk
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6apoy9i
1200 watts of Solar
Old 08-29-2007, 02:39 PM   #15
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
awaywego, save your money. I have tried both the cheap and not so cheap wireless camera and was not pleased. Contact Tim at Rvcam and you will be happy with his product. With the wireless camera you will be driving down the road and instead of seeing what is behind you. You will be looking at kids playing in someones back yard. Cell phones will mess them up. The sun will wipe out a cheap camera.
1200 watts of Solar
Old 08-29-2007, 05:37 PM   #16
trfield58
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7109
Hope I'm not in trouble, but Tim at RV Cams is including a 65' cable with my setup.... The 65' will be too short I take it????
Old 08-30-2007, 01:09 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You will be Ok.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:41 AM   #18
trfield58
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7109
OZZ, I have to admit...You were my "inspiration" for getting this camera. You are a madman....So many "additions and improvements" What's a guy to do???

Thanks for everything to all who have replied. I LOVE this forum, although my DW is nervous about all the stuff I want to attempt to change/add...Oh well, it's only money.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:06 PM   #19
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Mount the camera behind the light so it will not interfere at night.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6b1ei9w

Follow the lines in the front compartment up into the bottom of the bed.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4pv3c7l

Route from under the bed into the closet.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6as4105

Drill down through the floor in the closet to the pin box and run cable.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4yramc4
1200 watts of Solar
Old 08-31-2007, 04:16 PM   #20
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Dennis, thanks for the pictures. I'm sure it will help everyone in doing install.
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote