Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2007, 07:16 AM   #21
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I also have been watching with interest the new Ford 6.4L. Have been very happy with my Duramax/Allison, but it is a 2001 and will need an upgrade soon and I will go to a Dual Rear Wheel.
But just a point in fact: Ford does not have twin turbos on the engine. it actually has a single turbo, with two sets of vanes. One for the low pressure which spools up faster to prevent turbo lag, and a high pressure that comes on after the low pressure spools up to really increase the turbo pressures, upwards of 34-37 pounds of boost.
Cummins and Duramax use a variable vane. Same single turbo, but only one vane but it is variable geometry. Still, both are a good system, with the variable geometry having a couple of years use already on it.

Good luck in your hunt for your new truck!

Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:55 AM   #22
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
OZZ to answer you question as to HOW YOU GET TO EVERYTHING UNDER THE HOOD. The 6.4 is designed to have the front fenders removed for a great deal of engine service's. I was amazed when Bill Collier showed me the cooling systems there must have been SEVEN counting the radiator... I like what Devildog said about the Duramax.Cummins VARIBLE VANE, it has been around now for OVER TWO YEARS with good service. I think this is Fords ""HOPE IT WORKS"" YEAR. Ford made a great move leaving the 6.0 design for he 6.4 redesign, The customer needs something they can relie on and trust I think by the middle of next year the shake down cruise SO TO SPEAK will have spoken.... I just want you to know OZZ, should you break down in A TORRENT OF RAIN again, I will come along with my old CUMMINS and pull you home... that is what FRIENDS ARE FOR. ho ho ho Later John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:30 AM   #23
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ho ho indeed, and we will appreciate it once more.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:00 PM   #24
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
I talked to a guy in Denver the other day who had the new 450 with leather seats on the Lariat package. He liked the way it pulled but thats about it. He said my fuel mileage stinks and I miss my 05 Chevy Duramax. I looked under the hood and I feel sorry for the guy who has to work on it. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:24 AM   #25
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
When you buy a 450 long bed, 4 door dually, you are buying a pulling and hauling monster, you can't cry about mileage, I wouldn't think. It's a tool to do a big job. I agree about under the hood, man, how complex it looks.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:39 AM   #26
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Buying an F450 and complaining about fuel mileage? Okayyyy...

I've never driven one but I can't imagine getting a comparable ride with the Chevy. My last 150 drove like a nice car when compared to my 350. Neither does the mileage compare but my F350 does a superb job at what it was designed to do. It hauls mountains like there is no tomorrow. I can only imagine what the F450 is like at hauling, it must be awesome, but I wouldn't buy one if I could get the job done with an F250 or for you chevy fans, a 2500hd.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:46 AM   #27
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Jim, Sorry about the slow come-back about the tires. My rig sits very comprably to a Monty. My pin box is in the center position, the hitch (see signature) has one more notch to lower and my rig sits almost level empty and level with a full load. As you probably already know, the Ford box is deeper (20") than the other brands (14" & 18") so the load floor sits a little closer to the ground. I don't have the numbers handy on the Dodge but the GMs are about 1.5" higher. My rig to box clearance is about 6" and I have warped it in some really poor spots and have not touched yet. Alot of words to say that, no, the larger tires do not cause a clearance problem.

PS My internet connection is so bad that my three legged dog can outrun it.
Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:11 AM   #28
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Ozz: while you asked for 2008 owners, I am not quite one yet (truck being built week of Sep. 3rd). I have driven 2008s but not long, or hard, or in tow mode. So comparing the behavior to my current 6.0L is a little early. Other than that, compared to my 2004, these are the things that changed for the better:

Carl, how long did it take to get a build date? I ordered one alsmost two weeks ago and don't have one yet.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:50 PM   #29
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PowellsMonty

Carl, how long did it take to get a build date? I ordered one alsmost two weeks ago and don't have one yet.
The order went in exactly two weeks ago. The dealer called Monday with the scheduled week it will be built. She said they will know the exact day in another week or so. I am figuring it will arrive here around the first of October.

Carl (& Susan) Youngren

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:24 PM   #30
medic519
Established Member

M.O.C. #4109
We have a fleet mechanic here at the ambulance service I work for and we have done a great deal of research about the new Ford F450's because they pretty much have the market in ambulance chassis. The results he found from Ford is that if major engine work is required like injector pump or even replacing injectors you have to remove the cab from the chassis in order to get to the rear of the engine. He is not looking forward to that. Congrats to everyone who has one because they look great. Hope they run better than the 6.0.
medic519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:27 AM   #31
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
It seems as though ford likes the "body off" approach to engine repair. I had a 2001 Ford lightning(the supercharged hi performance truck for those who may wonder what that is). At about 12k It blew a sparkplug out of the head taking the threads with it. It turned out that the dealer had to remove the entire cab from the chassis to get the head off the engine. I was without a truck for 3 weeks.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:01 PM   #32
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Well I don't want to let the cat out of the BAG, """but""" today - we had a little MUNCH AND CRUNCH at the Hogan Place... Guess who showed up and climbed out of this SUPER DUTY with the BIGGEST SMILE ON HIS FACE......."""""""""OZZ"""""""""""" Talk about a kid with a new TOY...MUDCHIEF AND I were really happy for him, as he walked around that beautiful new Truck showing us all the great new features. Hey OZZ CONGRADS to you and Sue on the great new TV. Now the job of moving all the improvements to the new truck... Safe Travels my Friend John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:59 PM   #33
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
hahahahahha - and we couldn't tell THAT was coming!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:31 PM   #34
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Devildog

But just a point in fact: Ford does not have twin turbos on the engine. it actually has a single turbo, with two sets of vanes. One for the low pressure which spools up faster to prevent turbo lag, and a high pressure that comes on after the low pressure spools up to really increase the turbo pressures, upwards of 34-37 pounds of boost.
The 6.4 does have 2 turbos. Here is a link, check out page 14.http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps64...4_overview.pdf

Also, congrats on the new truck. They are sharp.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:40 PM   #35
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Vroom vroom....Ford is great in 2008!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 06:23 AM   #36
traveljunkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6224
We just took delivery of our new 2008 F450 last Wednesday. Getting our hitch installed this week and then will take out the fifth whell to see how she tows. I actually think I can tow two mountaineers with the f450.

The wife loves driving it much better than our chevy 2001. She sits higher, the visibility is incredible (it's like sitting with a bunch of picture windows around you), and she loves the adjustable foot pedals and the whole memory thing so shen she gets in it, she hits a button and everything adjusts to her.

Can't complain about the mileage, however, we are doing better than our chevy was with the 8.1 ltr. So far we are gettiing between 11 and 12mpg with just regular driving. I did notice when driving on the highway, if I have the cruise set at 70 my mileage decreases to just about 10mpg and if I back the cruise to 60 it goes up to almost 13mpg. Must be the 4.88 gears.

For us, we ordered the vehicle in the middle of June. When the dealer placed the order he called me and stated that it would be in within 7 days of the week of August 6th (just about 6 - 7 weeks). And, the vehicle was at the dealer on August 6th. Also, another good thing was that as of August 1st, the rebates went from $1,000 cash back to $3,000 cash back. When you order a vehicle, you pay for it at the time of delivery so we were happy with the extra $$$.

So far so good. Can't wait to start towing with it.
traveljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:54 AM   #37
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Jay and Beth, I am happy for you, I know your feelings, hope they, and the new truck smells don't fade with time.
I guess that part of it makes up for the $$$$.