Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2007, 06:43 AM   #21
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
I guess I have one of the "old" diesels. It is a 2003 Ford PSD 7.3 (I couldn't bring myself to buy the 6.0 when it came out. Looks like I made the right decision. ) Anyway, the only time I notice any noise from the diesel is on a cold morning until it warms up. I have never noticed any smoke unless I kick-it while passing. The tail pipe and fender do not accumulate any soot. I have just over 95K on it and love this truck. I'm going to drive this one to see just how long it will go. I just bought a Cam Position Sensor to put in the glove box as I've heard they fail sometimes. At $15 it seems like cheap insurance. After four years of drivng a diesel I don't see myself ever going back to a gasser. Oh, did I mention you hardly know the Monty is back there??

fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:43 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our 05 Ford V-10 4:30 Diff runs 64MPH at 2100RPM's under normal road conditions. Ran I-80 across Iowa Nebraska, Illinois, Indiana and into Ohio like that last week at that speed and RPM 95 % of the time.(with the 3400 anchor in tow) No it will not hold with the Diesel on a grade and we will see 3000/3500 RPM's on moderate grades but we are still at the speed limit on our 65MPH rated tires.. The diesel tows better under a wide range of conditions of course but after A 18K miles towing with the V-10 I have a entirely different opinion about their towing ability. The diesels I drive know the difference between loaded and empty on a steep grade....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:45 AM   #23
dscott
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6661
Rich, I agree with you on the gasser,I pull with a GMC 2500 496 big block,65mph at 2100 rpm the allison will hold there on the small grades.I tow with two guys with chevy diesels, ones a 07 2500 the other is 05 one ton dullie,we just got back from a trip up in northern mi.the gasser did very well,but before I go out west, a new diesel will be towing my 3400.
dscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:47 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don..We did some of those BIG grades out west and we huffed and puffed but still got over them ok even if it was at 45 or 50 MPH.. Some of the diesel guys who cared not about turbo temps went around us (show offs) but were cooling off at those pull offs at the top of the steep grades, which is why they are there...If we can pull it off we will also be going with the new Ford 6.4L.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:18 PM   #25
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Don't understand why diesel would stop on top to cool down. As soon as you top the hill and let off the GO pedal things cool right down within 1000ft.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:14 PM   #26
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
I used to be a guy who would defend the gassers till blue in the face when the diesel guys chimed in on diesel vs gas topics, the upfront cost was just too much in my eyes. In march of 2006 I had ordered an 06 8.1L chevy crew cab and due to a screw up by the dealer it wasnt going to make delivery in time for our travel season. I ended up with the diesel against my judgement but had very few options in the time alloted. In hindsight, I can 100% see where my arguements fell short when comparing gas vs diesel and am so happy fate worked the way it did. richfaa, I understand exactly where youre coming from, Ive been there. Currently a buddy of mine has got a Bounder class A with a v-10 and it does an admirable job hauling its load, fords modular engines make great power and are rock solid, but I assure you 1 trip in any of the current diesel trucks will make you a believer. They may know the difference between between loaded and empty on a steep grade but you'll NEVER need to get a run at any hill. I can pull the mountians on I-77 the virginia/N carolina at 70mph(on the 65mpg tires) with the cruise set and not break a sweat, and the grade braking on the way down the other side is beautiful. On the flats It'll run 1600 rpm at 65mpg with barely a sound from the engine inside the truck. You'll LOVE that 6.4L, I hear the new engines are great so far. If ford can shake the bad motor reputation with this engine they'll do very well, the new super dutys are really nice trucks.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:14 PM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I understand the difference .I drive more diesel miles than Gas miles. No question on the diesel being the best all around motor and I am not defending the V-10 just because I have one..It was not my first choice.In my experience the V-10 can keep up to the diesel at least 85% of the time...Of course that 15% is a huge factor when towing a heavy load on steep grades.. Also IMO the saying that ..you got to have a diesel to pull a camper has caused a lot of folks to buy a truck they did not need. You do not need a diesel to pull 7 or 8K of Camper.Having said that is is doubtfull that there will be a Big gas motor around much longer..The V-10 Motor has impressed me and I will give credit were credit is due.Of course If I get that 6.4 I will wolf about the big difference.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:54 PM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've towed with both the Ford V10 and with Ford and Dodge diesels. All did a good job. The V10 took us over Vail pass with a 14,360 lb fiver in tow. It was huffing and puffing but it did it without problem.

From my perspective, both gas and diesel can do the same jobs. The difference is the diesel does it at lower rpm and less stress on the engine. And lives longer. But the gasser will do a good job, too, and sometimes gas is the best fit for a particular situation. I don't think anyone can say gas or diesel is better. It's what is best for that particular person's situation.

Back to noise. Yesterday we drove solo from Independence, MO, to Sioux Falls, SD. 374 miles one way. Today we drove back. Because of this thread I paid particular attention to noise from our 6.7L Cummins. Standing outside, you can hear it tick, more than a gas engine and more than the Powerstroke and Duramax, although not by much. Inside, however, with windows up you hear nothing of the engine. Taking off from a stop, driving the highway, accelerating a ramp, slowing to a stop, none of those do you hear any ticking or rapping or other diesel type noise. You hear the same thing you hear from a gas engine. In fact, if you did not already know it you would not be able to tell while driving with windows up that it is a diesel. Nor is there any black smoke or diesel smells. None. The smoke and smell are gone in the new generation of diesels. This is the new ULSD diesel engine. My prior diesels you did hear a little diesel noise inside, did sometimes get black smoke and diesel smells. Not much, but occasionally. Not on the new engines, however.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:45 AM   #29
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Our 2006 Dodge is very quiet. After starting, I usually roll the window down so I can hear that beautiful sound. (It's a man thing).

Like Steve said, it is all about RPM's when it comes to power. With the Cummins diesel, I can keep the RPM's down, save fuel, engine wear and get over that pass, easily.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:51 PM   #30
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
We're at West Point Lake at Holiday Campground this weekend. We got here last night and it was so hard to get up this morning and drive to our store! I was thinking about this thread as we fired up the diesel this morning and putted outa here as soon as the gates opened at 7am. And ya know, if we did wake anyone up, I bet they just smiled and went back to sleep! It was real quiet at the store today as far as customers go, but the storms were louder than any diesel! LOL Soooooooooooo, since the Monty was waiting for us here, we put a sign on the door, closed up shop an hour and a half early and here we are again! This aircard is so cool. Posting this next Monday morning at the store inbetween phone calls and customers is just not as fun! Once again April, don't worry about the noise. Happy camping!!
Lisa & Dano
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:49 PM   #31
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
If you can't stand the diesel smeel, use biodiesel made with used french fry or donut oil. Worked one summer in Yellowstone and the NPS was experimenting with diesel made with canola oil--it smelled great.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:34 PM   #32
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
easy solution, get the diesel of your choice and a new wife, probably cheaper per year in the long term.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:21 AM   #33
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
The new Ford 450 diesel is very quite you should have her ride in one. Diesel / Gas it is all up to that person of want they want. I when diesel for the longivity of the engine, 172,000 miles and still going strong. I love the smell of diesel in the morning, it smells like power.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:19 PM   #34
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I really like my Cummins. I have no problem hearing it when it is running. It's now 9 years old and has only 90K on it so it will be with me for quite a while. Mine is loud with the pipe I have on it and belches black smoke at will. I love it.

Loud pipes save lives.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:02 PM   #35
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

Don't understand why diesel would stop on top to cool down. As soon as you top the hill and let off the GO pedal things cool right down within 1000ft.
I agree. Further, I just watched the EGT and if it got up near the no-go range I'd just back off the accelerator a fraction, drop one or two mph, and it would cool right back down into an acceptable temperature range. I suspect the diesel guys were just waiting for the gassers to catch up. (sorry, couldn't resist).

One thing I like about my Cummins is at that 64 mph it is running 1600 rpm. At 2000 rpm I'm doing over 75 mph.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote