Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2006, 08:30 AM   #1
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
5th Air Borne sidewinder

This king pin is new on the market.Its for us short bed people.If you go to the "Air Borne" site they have a video showing this king pin in action.Its kind of on the same line as the Pull rite hitch but cheaper.You get the comfort of the standard Air Borne with the benifit of not having to worry about sharp turns and hitting your truck cab.They say it tracks closer to your truck so the wide turns are not needed.

My local Camping world is a installar and I went down today to talk about it.but the service department was closed and the general manager was really clueless.I printed out a picture and gave them my pin box information.Hopefully I`ll get a call tuesday from the service manager.

If read on here and other places about how nice the standard "Air Borne" is so I`am thinking this would be nice for us short bed people that don`t want to borther with a slider.

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:34 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I saw the advertisement in Trailer Life. Looked interesting, looking forward to hear what you find out from Camping World.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
leonard
Established Member

M.O.C. #5554
I bought the regular 5th airborne hitch last year and really liked it. I am wondering if moving the trailer back with the new one will make a difference in weight distribution.

Leonard
leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:32 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I wish I had seen this one before I purchased a manual slider hitch. Seems the dealers don't tell you what all is available when you buy a rig, especially not knowing what to look for as I. Oh well, seems like it would be worth the change. Am I correct in assuming it is only the king pin mount that needs changing, or do you have to change the hitch also?

Sorry for seeming dumb.

I went to their website (www.fifthairborne.com) but can't seem to tell.

Phil P.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:25 PM   #5
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Guys,

It takes more to make something true than just saying that it is. My mechanical engineering buddy says he doubts their advertising. According to him, the hinge apparatus will provide some amount of up/down movement thus providing an amount of air cushioning. This is the same type of cushioning provided by the shocks/springs of the TV.

According to him, there is very little front-to-back movement in the design, thus providing very little chucking related cushioning.

Trail Air provides some fairly in depth testing results related to their product - I'm a Glide Ride guy myself so am not pushing Trail Air. Just saying I would like to see some "real test results" rather than a bar graph that depicts some rather boastful advertising.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:47 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Rick, I agree with you. It seems nowadays anyone can say anything they want. I have always felt that the proof is in the pudding. Everyone that makes and markets a product seems to be an "Expert". I say NOT....

Would like to see some side by side comparisons, If that is possible.

Happy camping

Phil P.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:43 PM   #7
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pparamore

I wish I had seen this one before I purchased a manual slider hitch. Seems the dealers don't tell you what all is available when you buy a rig, especially not knowing what to look for as I. Oh well, seems like it would be worth the change. Am I correct in assuming it is only the king pin mount that needs changing, or do you have to change the hitch also?

Sorry for seeming dumb.

I went to their website (www.fifthairborne.com) but can't seem to tell.

Phil P.

Phil

No your hitch stays the same.This is only a pin box replacement.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote