Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2016, 11:35 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Climbed on the roof today

Glad I did. Found three places around the attic and sewer vents where the caulking had hairline cracks in it and the beginning of some cracks along the rear between the roof and rear cap. Had a new tube of self leveling lap sealant so ran a bead of it around all vents, along the rear cap, and some along the front cap just in case.

Probably need to replace the plastic attic vent covers soon. They are beginning to get that chalky look plastic gets when it starts to get brittle. Even small hail or small tree branch raking across the top may crack them. Sewer vents must be a different plastic as they still look good.

BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:55 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
WE do that twice a year since we are in hot weather and bright sunshine Ohio and Florida year round. That sun is hard on plastic and
caulking I would imagine Texas is even worse.We found some cracks in the caulking when checking before we left for Florida and just a few days ago in a very heavy rain we had a leak around the the TV antenna onto the bed. The covers on our outside sat covers got brittle and broke off.Purchased new ones today.The hot sun can do lot of damage.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:44 AM   #3
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
In January, when I had our rig in for blowout repairs covered by insurance, I had the roof examined. Dealer replaced the attic vents that don't seem to last more than 3-4 years in Texas sun as well as reseal everything else. We have had several good rains and no leaks. Easier than me getting up there but I have done that in the past. If you keep any rig over 4 years, I suggest you make a trip to the roof at least annually.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:01 AM   #4
Buffalochip
Established Member

M.O.C. #18289
I lived in Lake Havasu City, Arizona for 13 years. The sun is very intense there. I found as did others that had any type of exposed plastic to the sun, I painted it with white spray paint. It extends the life of plastic by years. I painted the vent caps, ect. on the roof of my old 5er and they lasted until I recently traded it for my Montana. Just my 2 cents. Chip
Buffalochip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #5
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
I regularly spray 303 Protectant on all the plastic up there. It is a U/V blocker for plastic! U/V is what kills plastics...Not heat. I have many plastics that get exposed to 140 degree temperatures in my dishwasher at home each and every day and show no damage at all. 303 Protectant simply blocks the U/V rays. It does wonders for longevity. Don't forget the exposed top of your awing while you're up there too. The same treatment will prevent sun-rot of the vinyl that sits exposed forever.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote