Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
Microwave latch broke

Tonight we were using our Dometic Conv/Micro and when we opened the door and something in the latch broke. It just moves up and down with no resistence like a spring broke. Does anyone know how to deal with this? Have you fixed yours? The model # is DOTRC17BC. Thank You

jrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:37 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
On our 3750 I actually took the inside portion of the door off to expose the plastic latch and determine where it broke. I was able to make a repair with a bread tie that lasted until we traded the rig off. If you can see where the breakage is (ours was a little plastic edge piece), you may be able to do the same. Worst case would be to contact Dometic for a replacement piece once you determine what broke. Hope this helps.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:33 PM   #3
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Ours broke last summer while in Great Falls,MT. Went to Wal-Mart and got a new micro only. We brought old one home, but did not have time to tear into it before winter set in. Job for a lot warmer weather. Ours is broke inside of machine not on/in door. Our micro/convection is an Appollo(sp).
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
If you still have your original microwave book that came with the unit, look up the Dometic 800 # in it or the regular number and ask their customer service about it. You may just get a new latch from them for free but just in case they don't give it to you for free they can ship it to you from their stock. If you call them, be sure to give them the model # of the micro so they give you the correct unit.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #5
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Well, I just got done fixing my Dometic Micro/Conv. (model DOTRC17BC) which suffered a door latch failure last night. Sounds like the same thing as the OP posted so thought I would share what I did.
The latch on the door is a piece of plastic with an upper and lower "hook" shaped thing which goes into the holes in the microwave door frame.
There is a spring that is connected behind the interior door trim that connects to the latch I described. In my case, the connection for the spring to the latch broke (see pics).
Now for the repair:

1. You must CAREFULLY pry off the black plastic trim surround piece on the interior of the door. I used an old dinner knife, just go around slowly and gently pry out this piece.

2. Next, you must separate the outer door piece from the inner door. There is one screw on the door handle side interior piece that needs to come out. Then you must CAREFULLY pry the spring latches around the perimeter of the interior door that holds it to the outer door piece (with the handle and exterior glass).
WARNING: Be very careful because at some point when you have released the spring clips the outer door piece can just fall to the floor. I caught mine just in time...

3. Once you have removed the outer door piece you can access the latch and (at least on mine) the spring was fine but the attachment point on the latch was broken. I have included a link to the place where I bought the new one (highly recommend) and you can see the difference in the photo of the new piece compared to the broken one...I am pointing with a screw driver to the broken piece.

4. New part is ordered (about $13 with shipping) but to avoid being without a microwave for several days, I did a "McGyver" fix with a wire twist to temporarily secure the spring (see pic). Works great so far!

5. Outer door just clips back onto the inner door and reinsert the screw. Left off the interior plastic trim for now until I get the new part and fix it correctly.
Link to online store: https://www.appliancefactoryparts.co...333663/131467/

Hope this helps with anyone else dealing with the same issue!
EDIT: PHOTOS RESIZED, HOPE THESE ARE OK.

Your pictures are to large, please resize them.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:49 AM   #6
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Great illustrations and instructions.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:22 AM   #7
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Go to YouTube and search "microwave door repair". Easy fix.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Could you use a wire tie in place of the bread tie. Also, thanks for the pictures and explanation.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:00 PM   #9
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Thanks, yeah any kind of wire would work, just has to be small enough to fit since there isn't much room. Or just wait for the new latch to arrive...
Mainly just wanted to show how to access the latch, because it isn't real obvious just looking at it...I got lucky figuring it out I think.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:47 PM   #10
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Razrbk

Great illustrations and instructions.
Thanks, glad to help someone else dealing with this same issue perhaps!