Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2015, 11:46 AM   #1
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
More on the Montana decals

I have got all the decals off my 2007 Mountaineer and I have a new set from Keystone and 3-4 E-bay knockoffs.

My question is-- What is a good price for installation?? I have a quote for $650, if the trailer is clean and ready to do. Since I am basically a tightwad, how much did someone who had the decals put on have to pay?? The quote seems high to me, but this is a new area for me.

halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Is that quote for the full set, front, back, and sides?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:17 PM   #3
wjwheeler
Established Member

M.O.C. #14149
That sounds like a fair price for the whole set. CW quoted over $2k to remove and install my furnished decals. Mine are still falling off and I don't think I'm going to replace them.
wjwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #4
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
The hard part is over. Installing them is easy.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:58 PM   #5
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
Yes, this is a full set--both sides and front and back. I wouldn't bother either, but we volunteer or work for site often. The work for site jobs always require a recent picture of your rig, so I need to keep it presentable. I tried to put a couple of the e-bay knock-offs on and I don't have 6 feet of reach and my wife doesn't do ladders period.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:07 AM   #6
fulltilt
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16056
Our last 5th wheel was the 2007 336rlt mountaineer, we bought it in 2012, decals were great until I left it 4 months in Phoenix.I had to replace every decal on it. I had done a similar job on our previous 2006 Cougar and didn't find it difficult, although I sprayed a soap/water solution on as I applied the decals,I will never do it that way again. I thought it would allow me more time to work the decal, in fact I found it harder to get the air bubbles out. I replaced every decal on the Cougar for less than $300.00 in 2011, but the decals for the Mountaineer cost me 4 times that one year later. I stripped the old off with a heat gun/blow dryer, wiped the surface with 3m wax remover, careful use of a razor blade scraper is very helpful. On the large decals, like Montana or the "Hockey Sticks" on the side, to replace I would apply masking tape as a vertical hinge in the middle of the decal and work out from the middle, dry application using a flexible "body filler" applicator. TIP - When I purchased the decals for the Mountaineer, some of the "Hockey Sticks" and "Swooshes" were more than double the price of others, don't know why, maybe available stock, I bought the lower priced ones and just flipped them over to the left or right side of the trailer, this saved me close to $500.00. Make sure when you do the decals that merge into the window or aluminum mouldings that you have previously scraped the silicone out and taken the wax remover and cleaned it. Re silicone after.
fulltilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
We all have our expertise, but for a first timer not to use a water solution with a drop or two of soap is courting disaster especially with larger decals. A dry install wih a larger decal has to be right on as once started, it is next to impossible to take up what's already down to reposition. As you mentioned, use a flexible squeegie and work your way slowly from center out to edge ... if you do end up with small bubbles, most will work themselves out in a few days as vinyl is porus. Like you said, the hinge method is the only way to go with the larger decals.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #8
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
I cut and install decals out of my hobby sign shop and I agree that the soap and water install is the only way to go. Position the decal centered on the unit then stick the top tape section, lift the whole decal, spray liberally with solution then remove the backing paper from the top down this is where you can reposition if needed, now squeegee the decal from the top down then from the center out to the edge removing as much water as possible, then the VERY important part WAIT until the solution dries then continue to squeegee and slowly remove the paper from the TOP down. DONT pull straight out with the transfer paper but in a 180° pulling back so the decal has a better chance of staying put and remember to TAKE YOUR TIME.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:46 AM   #9
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
you can always go to mexico with us and have the painters down there just replicate your decals with their painting. they excel in replacing your decals with paint. heck, for $650 you could drive down there from phoenix and get them painted and break even.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote