Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2015, 05:02 AM   #1
Happycamperscolorado
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15881
Toilet parts question

when we originally picked up you 2010 3400rl the toilet pedal was off. according to the dealer it was loose and they were fixing it. more i think of it the less of a fuzzy feeling i get about it and it is still to cold to get water to it. so my question is " do any of you have this Model and have you had to replace any parts on it?" it there a recommended repair kit i should have on hand for it just in case? thanks

Happycamperscolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:25 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Yup, as others have we had the pedal explode off the unit. Tetford replaced it under warranty, but I'm going with a Dometic sometime this summer if it holds up that long.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:22 AM   #3
Happycamperscolorado
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15881
sounds like maybe another mod in the future. we will see.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:26 AM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
After the number one upgrade of G614 tires, the number two upgrade was getting rid of the junk Thetford toilet and installing a Dometic 310. We had the pedal blow off in the middle of the night. Wish we had a video of the scramble to stop the water from flowing before it overflowed the bowl.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:25 AM   #5
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Yep, we had that Tetford in our 2010 until the pedal broke and water everywhere. We had to order parts from Tetford, so as to not be without we picked up the Dometic 310 and replaced it. Got the repair parts from Tetford later and repaired toilet and put it on the shelf for a spare.

When we traded for the 2015 the Tetford came off the shelf and was reinstalled in the trade in. We now have the opposite of before with a New Tetford(again) in the 2015 3610 and the spare Dometic 310 on the shelf in shed. I am currently installing a shut off valve in the water line and at the first sign of trouble out will come that Tetford, perhaps even before trouble arises we shall see.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:04 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That is the best thing to do. Install a shutoff valve. Not hard with sharkbites.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
If you are just going to fix the POS Thetford at least get one of these to help save yourself a Flooded RV in the Future when it breaks again http://www.amazon.com/Glentronics-In...og+water+alarm
Old 03-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #8
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

If you are just going to fix the POS Thetford at least get one of these to save yourself a Flooded RV in the Future when it breaks again http://www.amazon.com/Glentronics-In...og+water+alarm
Well let me see, first you have to be home to hear the alarm go off, or you have to leave a key with the neighbor so they can turn off your water with this gadget. secondly you are going to have a fair bit of water somewhere before this alerts you because the law of averages would be it was not installed in the right place.

In three years we have had narry a problem with our "POS" Thetford toilet, I have had dang near everything else apart in the Montana for some problem or another so I guess we are just lucky. I did install a sharkbite shut off valve in the toilet water line however.

Why not do this up right and install a 12V electric shutoff on the toilet water line, install a pressure sensitive circuit on the toilet seat, that way it only works when you are sitting down, shuts off immediately when you get up, problem solved.
Better yet, install a 12V electric shut off on the main water line, when you turn the deadbolt off goes the water, lock your door at night, off goes the water, don't get up for a pee during the night and the world will be round again....

Wait a minute, gotta run out to the Monty and see if I can still flush sitting down, might be onto something here.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:26 PM   #9
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
LOL Funny Ed but here is the deal...#1 Yes you are lucky yours has not gone down for the count(your time is coming my friend you Jinx yourself))..#2 they are only 8 bucks..#3 I'm I fulltimer and I was asleep at the time it flooded my RV,it would have saved my butt.. #4 it takes very little water not a fair amount to set it off and you can catch it way before it does any damage.....#5..Not installed in the right place??? mine is Right next to the Toilet by the lever #6 if I am away from my RV for a Day a few days,week etc.. I shut off my water supply #7... AGAIN..IT's ONLY 8 BUCKS DUDE and you just drop a battery in it and forget it's Cheap Insurance and just another option to save a flooded RV from Yes the POS Thetford
Old 03-23-2015, 04:18 PM   #10
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
With thetfords in four montanas, one failure in 12 years, nincluding 6 years fulltiming and 10 years is 6 month snowbirding in Florida. With the one failure installed a dometic 320, a much better toilet.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #11
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Jimmy: I would remind you that I live in Canada, so the device you recommend is more expensive here, not 8 bucks "Dude". Yes it is still cheap insurance, but I have enough trouble remembering to take my Medication let alone turning the water off each time I run into town for more "groceries" wink wink...

There have been quite a number of folks on this forum who have reported problems with the Thetford toilet, however compare those incidents to all the other problems with annoying things that crop up in any RV and the problem is "not" significant.

Man you ought to go the Goshen, maybe you can get the powers that be to change the toilet that gets installed in all the new Montana's, you would become a legend and revered throughout the forums...

I actually think since most of us are now retired and most don't need their ride on mowers anymore we can take that seat sensor off the unused mower and apply it to the toilet seat, through extensive research I have determined it is possible and in fact fairly easy to flush while still sitting on the throne. Now quit bursting my innovative bubble for another solution, what the heck it is a mod and mods are what RV living is all about. Right.

Jimmy you and I are destined to meet and share many stories one day before it is too late for both of us to remember... Now you be a good boy in the meantime.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:40 PM   #12
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
A Legend??? and Revered?? on the Montana Forum?? I like Your thinking my man, But why stop there I Could visit Heartland,Grand Designs, Forest River and everybody else that uses this POS Toilet and get them to change then I would be Revered and a Legend on their Forums too, Dang I gotta Go now and hit the Road Ed Time's a wasting and I'm on a mission.... And Be a Good Boy ED???????? Not my Style.......DUDE
Old 03-24-2015, 02:00 AM   #13
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Happycamperscolorado

when we originally picked up you 2010 3400rl the toilet pedal was off. according to the dealer it was loose and they were fixing it. more i think of it the less of a fuzzy feeling i get about it and it is still to cold to get water to it. so my question is " do any of you have this Model and have you had to replace any parts on it?" it there a recommended repair kit i should have on hand for it just in case? thanks

I have always read the horror stories about these toilets. When I bought the new unit I was disappointed to see that Keystone still used them.

My question is, it looks like the model number from 2010 and older is 42062, whereas my 2014 model number is 42072. Everything else on the label appears to be the same, like "style II high".

Did they change something? Are the newer models designed better? Has anyone with a model number 42072 had a malfunction where it flooded their trailer?
Old 03-24-2015, 02:39 AM   #14
Happycamperscolorado
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15881
will look into sharkbites and new Toilet i think

[
quote]Originally posted by DQDick

That is the best thing to do. Install a shutoff valve. Not hard with sharkbites.
[/quote]
Old 03-24-2015, 05:45 AM   #15
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
No Sadly they have not been Improved JandC since my 2012 my 2015 Thetford leaked 2 days after I bought it
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Happycamperscolorado

I have always read the horror stories about these toilets. When I bought the new unit I was disappointed to see that Keystone still used them.

My question is, it looks like the model number from 2010 and older is 42062, whereas my 2014 model number is 42072. Everything else on the label appears to be the same, like "style II high".

Did they change something? Are the newer models designed better? Has anyone with a model number 42072 had a malfunction where it flooded their trailer?
Old 03-25-2015, 06:14 PM   #16
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Can someone tell me where to find a 1/2"x1/2" Sharkbite shut-off valve? I just got back from Home Depot, and all they carried is the 1/2"x3/8" Sharkbites, with the exception of a really industrial looking brass quarter-turn ball valve. Does anyone have a picture of the valve they used?
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:44 AM   #17
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Mine, that I am about to install, is a "Watts" 1/2 x 1/2 that we picked up at Menards when we were across the U.S. line last weekend. When it warms up this weekend after our annual spring storm I plan to install it and see how well it works.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:16 AM   #18
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
dometic 320 that is the answer.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote