Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2014, 07:16 AM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Oaks at Point South - Yemassee, SC - WARNING!

The Oaks at Point South campground at Exit 33 of I95 near Yemassee, South Carolina is dangerous! The property is full of what could be beautiful tall oak trees. Problem is that there is no maintenance done there. There are several dead trees, numerous center rotted trees and many large limbs that have broken off or are about to break off. Each morning the grounds are patrolled to pick up limbs that have fallen each night but nothing is done to trim or remove dangerous trees or limbs.

If I sound disgruntled, it is because I am. Two weeks ago a limb came down on my truck causing $3000 damage. The campground and Thousand Trails are both uncooperative in even acknowledging that anything happened. My insurance is covering the damage and going after Thousand Trails. In the meantime I have to cover my deductible.

I guess I should feel lucky that I can drive my truck to get it repaired. The camper next to ours was also struck. I can see their interior lights shine out through the dent in the roof of their slide out. Those folks are also being ignored by the campground and Thousand Trails.

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:31 AM   #2
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Try contacting Encore they have taken over Thousand Trails.

We stayed there Sunday night 7/27 and were also not impressed by the maintenance or rather lack of.

We are told the KOA at the same exit; turn right instead of left after leaving US 17 is a pretty good park.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
take pictures you may need them at a later date
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Insurance companies like to claim that falling trees are an act of God, even though reasonable maintenance was never performed. In this part of the country they have usually gotten away with it. Appreciate the warning on a campground to definitely avoid.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:40 AM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Confirm the KOA is a Good Park have been staying their since 2003 on our travels to Florida easy in out
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #6
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Got lots and lots of pictures. So far they haven't claimed the act of God defense. In fact, they haven't claimed anything. I can't get any information out of them. The woman in the office who claims to be an assistant manager refuses to give out any phone numbers for responsible individuals or insurance claim information. I called Thousand Trails member services. Their response was to send an email via their website because there was no human that I could talk to. Now almost two weeks later, they have not responded.

Yesterday, I filed a complaint with the South Carolina Consumer Protection Agency. Their website says that if the complaint is out of their jurisdiction they will forward it to the appropriate agency. They have accepted my complaint and have begun their investigation. We shall see what happens.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We stop there on our trips back and forth to Florida. We did not like the Koa next door because of untrimmed trees. Now the campgrounds have reversed, the koa has cleaned up significantly while the Oaks has deteriorated into a dump with apparent lack of maintenance. So now we use the koa and not the Oaks. Part of the problem is no owners on site. Agree totally, avoid the park. A shame because it was a decent overnight stop off I95' where there is not a lot of options for overnighting without putting more hours on the road.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Been staying at the South Point KOA back and forth from Florida sine 2008 with not problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote