Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2008, 04:29 AM   #1
guru1961
Established Member

M.O.C. #4540
Send a message via Yahoo to guru1961
Motion detector light

I bought and installed the Smart Light 1000 on our 'Tana entrance door. It works as advertised and now we don't have to waste lighting the area all the time while we are away. It has adjustments but the factory defaults seem to work fine. It is simple to install and wire. It replaces the existing entrance door light and wires to the 12V source with a black/white combo. You can see the light installed at http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/20493879

guru1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:09 AM   #2
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Looks good. Does it have a switch to disable it?
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:21 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Jeff, Where are these available from and at what distance do they come on? Can you turn off from inside using the installed porch light switch? Thanks for posting this, I have been looking into something for the stairs.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:09 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Cool Mod Guru!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:23 AM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Found this site
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:58 AM   #6
guru1961
Established Member

M.O.C. #4540
Send a message via Yahoo to guru1961
I purchased from www.rvsupplywarehouse.com for $97.90 total. It was the cheapest I could find. It works with your existing porch light switch. It will work two ways. As normal porch light or as a motion detection system. On factory settings, it comes on at about 20' away.
guru1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks, I'll be ordering me one of those. I did see that CW has a "RV Nightowl Motion Activated LED Lights" Item 36198. It's a set of 4, but they are DC and operate off 3 AAA batteries and use "peel and stick" technology for placement. Cost is 92.69 Club price. I'm not sure they would be bright enough. Does anyone else have this set? If so, how is the illumination?
Old 09-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #8
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Thanks, I'll be ordering me one of those. I did see that CW has a "RV Nightowl Motion Activated LED Lights" Item 36198. It's a set of 4, but they are DC and operate off 3 AAA batteries and use "peel and stick" technology for placement. Cost is 92.69 Club price. I'm not sure they would be bright enough. Does anyone else have this set? If so, how is the illumination?
Hi Phil,

I have a set of the RV Nightowl lights. I guess it depends on what you mean by "bright enough".

I put one right over the door lock on the outside so I could see where to put the key at night. When you attach it to the outside they tell you use screws not peel and stick. The other three lights I put inside; one at the step as you entry the trailer and at the top and bottom of the stairs as you go up to the bedroom. These are great if you get up during the night. You can see the stairs to go up and down them without turning on any of the brighter lights.

In the Yukon
Grant aka BirdingRVer

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:56 PM   #9
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I have seen this at RV Shows..I believe if you go to the site dsprik listed you can get $10.00 off ...this is what we were told at the show...just let them know you seen it at the Midwest rv supershow.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Grant, I take it from your description they would not be adequate to light the outer stairs or am I reading you wrong? You guys gonna stay in the north country forever???? Sounds like you really enjoyed your trip to Alaska. Are you the one that convinced Sarah to be Macs running mate? Good job!!!!! Give Raider a hug for me. We still don't have a replacement for Sam yet.....

Campbud, I will check them out.....
Old 09-08-2008, 05:07 AM   #11
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Grant, I take it from your description they would not be adequate to light the outer stairs or am I reading you wrong? You guys gonna stay in the north country forever???? Sounds like you really enjoyed your trip to Alaska. Are you the one that convinced Sarah to be Macs running mate? Good job!!!!! Give Raider a hug for me. We still don't have a replacement for Sam yet.....
Phil,
"I take it from your description they would not be adequate to light the outer stairs or am I reading you wrong?" No, you are reading me right.

"You guys gonna stay in the north country forever????"
No, we are headed south. A lot of RV Parks and other businesses are closing for the season. We haven't had a night that wasn't in the 30s for at least the last week. We should be back in the lower 48 around October 1st.

"Sounds like you really enjoyed your trip to Alaska."
This was our 4th trip to Alaska and it still exceeded our expectation. We will no doubt be back as soon as we forget just how far it is.

"Are you the one that convinced Sarah to be Macs running mate?"
No, I had no hand in it. We were in Wasilla when it was announced and the town put up all kinds of banners, etc. We walked into a store and all they wanted to do is talk about how excited they were about the announcement. Sara is absolutely loved in Wasiila.

"We still don't have a replacement for Sam yet"
I am sure Sam is irreplaceable but I am also sure there is a Golden out there that needs your company.

Grant aka BirdingRVer
Old 09-09-2008, 03:56 AM   #12
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
I wrote: "Phil,
"I take it from your description they would not be adequate to light the outer stairs or am I reading you wrong?" No, you are reading me right. "

I took another look at the outside light near the door lock last night and it did light the steps better than I had remembered. It isn't real bright but you can see each of the steps. Just more fuel for thought.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:44 AM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks Grant, I am headed to CW this morning and will check them out while there, if they have them in stock. I am leaning toward the Smart Light to replace the orange, worthless porch light and get these for the stairwell inside the door and stairs into bedroom......Thanks to everyone else for posting their thoughts and reviews......
Old 09-09-2008, 01:59 PM   #14
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Phil, just remember that Smart Light is made in China before you spend $100.00. It will work great but for how long.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote