Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Surge Protectors

I have been researching 50 amp surge protectors for purchase. I found the 50 amp protector from Surge Guard for $319 and one from Progressive Industries for about $110. Does anyone have any recommendations? Will the less expensive one still provide adequate protection?

Old 06-04-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
This is one area I would be afraid you might get what you pay for. Check the specs very close.
I have the surge guard and like the one that Bingo installed better. His tells you the Voltage and current on each leg and has a remote display.
I am looking for an excuse to upgrade.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do have the progressive industries PT-50C.As John suggest check out the specs. This is the same unit that Bingo and many othere of us have.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I believe the Progressive Industries unit you are looking at only provides surge protection and polarity testing. It will NOT protect from over and under voltage situations which can commonly occur in older campgrounds. Over and under voltage situations are harmful to electronics (particularly air conditioners, microwaves, and similar items) The surge guard unit you are looking at does have this protection for over and under voltage, and As H. John says, you get exactly what you pay for. I selected the unit I installed after much consultation and receiving valuable advice on this very forum. You can protect what you pay to protect!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:32 AM   #5
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
take a look at this thread
Link (edit - RBS)

I had one of those cheap ones. When I plugged in everything "indicated" good power. However, when that changed the next day the unit did not do anything to protect my rig (although if I had been outside at the post looking at the indicator lights it may have "indicated" an open neutral. The open neutral resulted in the destruction of my bedroom TV, my microwave, my converter and several powersupplies and if I hadn't been there to manually trip the breakers would have probably resulted in my rig burning down to the ground. Bite the bullet and get one that offers protective "Action" vice "indicators" - the cheap ones are a "snapshot" that is only good for that moment. Once you walk away you are not protected from anything but a surge.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I too, use the Progressive Industries EMS PT50-C. It protects both under and over voltage plus the surge protection. The first thing I do when pulling into a spot is to pull out the EMS unit and plug in to CG. This unit will tell you many things you should know before plugging in your unit. To date, I have not had to change spots due to poor elec. I'm sure I will some day. I did have to send my unit back once to PI but they shipped me a new one overnight. It was showing an overvoltage situation and tripping out when there was no problem with the CG power. By the way, I have no stock, family or friends in this company, I just like the unit and feel I should Extoll the Virtues of it to anyone who asks....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I just purchased the 50 amp hard wired surge guard, protects for low voltage and spikes. 1750 joules surge supression,6500 amps spike protection. Operating parameters 102 volts/132 volts.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote