Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Truck Cap Damage When Turning/Backing Up To Short

Has anyone caused damage to cab/camper while turning 90 degrees? I have invented a device to alert the driver when he is turning to short to solve this problem. I am in process of patent, but would like in put if anyone who would be interested in such a device. I have been laughed at and praised. Would appreciate input from fellow RV'rs.

cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
cdaniels,
My last time out camping I watched (and tried to stop) a Montana hooked up to a short bed from making such a turn. They popped the window on the truck and put a small scratch on the cap of the Montana. They had a slider hitch, but did not release it for the turn.

I don't think I have a problem with a long bed truck. But I am interested.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:52 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
If you have any brand Shortbed truck the only device you need to prevent taking out the TV's rear window or damaging the TV/Monty's boby is the PullRite SuperGide Hitch. As all of us SuperGlide owners know, it's impossible for our trailers to ever touch our TVs unless, of course, we to go much beyond 90° but that will occur no matter what device you may have.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:33 AM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I do have a short bed truck and I don't need a super glide hitch. I just pay attention to where I back up and use my manual slide Reese hitch when needed!
You just have to remember to pay attention! If I says to myself, I can't get in there, then I don't try it. The 7 years I've been towing Montanas, I have never used the slide, heck, I don't even know if it works! In the same respect, if you have a sb, I do recommend a slider just in case you do ever need it.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Steve, I thought that way too until I got distracted in a tight turn and put a dent in the sheet metal next to the rear window. I should have repositioned the hitch but was in a hurry. I hate being human but at least I didn't break the rear window.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I'm not saying that wouldn't happen, we are all human, I'm just trying to be more aware of the turns. When we went to Branson last summer for the MOC rally there, the cg owner was going to put me in a place I didn't want to go into. That time I went to another cg. I'm not afraid to jockey the unit around a few times to get it in tight spots, did just that at a cg out in Colorado last year on the way to Oregon.
I'd like to see what cdaniels has on his plate, sounds interesting to me.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
you only have to buy 1 pull rite hitch and you will forget all the problems you are in , it is impossible to hit the truck unless you want to go 120 degrees , i make u turns on the highway and never worry . you only hit once and you pd for the hitch john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We resemble that remark!

Got a new rear window out of the deal.

It happened because we were on uneven ground and the truck and the Montana were both leaning at odd angles. Never thought about the leaning coming into play.

Our next hitch will probably be a PullRite SuperGlide.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:54 AM   #9
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
We got the PullRite simply for peace of mind. We tow with a short bed and I didn't want to rely on my memory to watch my turns. Its big bucks up front but pays dividends when in heavy traffic with sharp turns or in a campground that requires a lot of manuvering. I do like the idea behind your invention though for those who don't desire a PullRite.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:55 AM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have a long box so I have never come close. How ever in a similar vein. I thought that the radar device in the bumper of the truck was silly. But now, when I back into spots (not towing) that is a handy little device. So I would think a warning device might be surprisingly useful. I sure wish I had invented the paper clip or the Post-It glue. Go for it man.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:20 AM   #11
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Thanks so much for all your input. It has given me the push I need to keep going for it. Who knows if it makes it I would have the time I need to enjoy my Montana and the country. Again thanks for the support!
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:45 PM   #12
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I hope your device slaps the driver up side the head and shouts "wake up stupid".. Go for it.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #13
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
cdaniels-
Any device for the back of the trailer?, other then wife hollering "stop" and waving her arms
Kevin
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:18 PM   #14
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Go for it cdaniels. I would definitely be interested in looking your device over. I have a new 2008 3400RL, and a new (1500 miles) 2008 Ford F250 SB Crewcab (with a dent between the rear window and corner of the cab). I too was trying to back into a place, on slick soft ground, had not slid my hitch back, when "bam" I hit my cab. I knew better, but still did it. When I get the money I am buying a Super Glide hitch too. Have to recover from my $250 deductible to fix (a $358 dent) my truck cab first. My 3400 wasn't hurt at all.

Buddy
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

I do have a short bed truck and I don't need a super glide hitch. I just pay attention to where I back up and use my manual slide Reese hitch when needed!
You just have to remember to pay attention! If I says to myself, I can't get in there, then I don't try it. The 7 years I've been towing Montanas, I have never used the slide, heck, I don't even know if it works! In the same respect, if you have a sb, I do recommend a slider just in case you do ever need it.
Steve is correct but that part about paying attention and using the manual slider when needed is critical. After 13 years of towing with shortbeds and only having to use the slider four times, I got a trifle overconfident. I say I used the slider four times. But I should have used it five times. Here is what happens when you get overconfident and neglect to use the slider when you should. And this is when you get very, very lucky and when you have a spouse who sees what is happening and yells for you to stop. This occured back in February.

We now have an 18k superglide. It wasn't the turn that got me. I knew I could turn that angle. It was a rear tire on the truck starting to climb an angled curb that did it. Fortunately Vicki was on the ball, as usual, and got things stopped before more damage occurred.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote