Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2007, 03:36 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Elect. outlets, bsmt, bdrm & overhang up front

It seems the RV builders have not camped much, who would not want a plug in for a nice cozy electric blanket?
Don’t they have cordless tools? What about an outlet in the ‘Basement’ area?
An electrical source under the front overhang is mighty handy as well.
The easy way is to tap into the Dryer power at the receptacle, or plug in. First, turn off the breaker to the dryer, pull the outlet out, take wires off and throw it into the trash. Wire in your new 20 amp. Outlet you bought at Lowe’s, not the cheap one, a good one.
Wire in a 12-2 W/Ground line on the other two screws, pull the panel on the other side of the wall, 4 screws, square heads. Drop the 8’ or so of 12-2W/gnd. Wire to the bottom of the wall, pull the grill on the bottom of the steps in your 3400RL, and grab the end of the wire, and pull the slack down, using the access you gained from pulling the control panel with the switches on it. Feed that wire to the basement area, where you have cut out an outlet box hole, wire in another new quality 20 amp duplex receptacle, slap a cover plate on it and you are good-to-go. Plug in a multiplier, a multi-plug short extension, Power strip, I think they call them, attach it over by the basement door opening. Put everything back together, clean up and step one is done!
Now if your washer and dryer is crammed into the space, and you can’t access the dryer plug, you will have to-(Kill the power to the trailer), pull your 120-240 Panel and put a new 20 amp breaker in, Homeline I believe, a dual 20 amp breaker from Lowe’s.
If it were me, I would hook up two circuits while you are in there, drop the wires over the wall into the cavity and proceed as we went over in the above text. Just curl up 4’ or so of the second circuit under the stairs, wire nut the ends and tape them up real good.
Once you have this basement outlet wired we can go to the other power plug-ins.
Slideshow

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:17 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I'm getting way behind on those mods. Wish I had done them while at the home base this past summer. We set the freezer under the front overhang at times; no place to plug it in. Same with the cordless drill, either bring it inside, or set it on a chair by the outside receptacle. Oh, and I need to do the receptacle by the microwave also. Have to run a heavy extension cord to the fryer when I set it up on the stove top. So much too do. Thanks for your tips.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Willie.
It is so much easier with the equipment and tools we have at home, also we have less pressure, as we are not living in our trailers.
I am glad to help, or stir the imagination in people. I will follow with tips to run the power to the front.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ozz, You're down in South Texas! You shouldn't be needing that electric blanket plug in! Now here in Nebraska, it's a different story! It's 30 degrees right now and should get down to the low 20's tonight!

Anyone got an extra football coach the don't want?? Looks like Nebraska is without a football coach again! Can't believe they let him go and still have to pay him the balance of his contract-- $3.125 million! Ain't no coach (or player) worth that much as far as I'm concerned!! Only my humble opinion though!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Having allot of outlets is one thing I like about my new Monty, I have one on both sides of the bed and also one in the closet., it even has 2 recepticles for 120, 12 volt socket, and an antenna booster hookup in the basement. I think I am going to get another flat panel TV and put it on a slide bracket in the basement to pull out for my first project.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:48 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
NOW they put them in....
Old 11-26-2007, 01:09 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

NOW they put them in....
We actually have one on both sides of the bed. It may get warm enough today to get out and look at the overhang. I've about had enough of this cold weather.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:46 AM   #8
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Yeah Ozz, I was going to say that the factory is now installing these outlets in the basement. Still nothing in the front compartment though. And, oh by the way, all the new Montanas are coming with the electric awning too!
My local Keystone dealer(not Montana) is checking with Keystone on the rear trailer hitch they had installed on one of their models when we went on the factory tour. If we can get one, wallah, new bicycle carrier!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:57 AM   #9
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
That was one of the selling points, the electric awning, no more going back and forth to put the thing up, and if it get's water puddling on it, it will burp one of the corners to get the water off and the go back up.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:44 AM   #10
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
This appears alot easier than I thought, which is better/safer for what Iam wanting to do, will the one circut be enough. I want a outlet in the basement for tools, under the bed, in the overhang and by the door steps for my awning lights.. connect to the washer/dryer plug or run a new circut?

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:52 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
If you are not using the Washer or dryer, there are two unused circuits for you. Both are dedicated circuits to only those plugs.
The best way would be to run a new one, as the next owner would have a better system, but more difficult than tapping onto the present circuits. If you tap onto the outlets, change them to good heavy duty duplex receptacles.
One should be plenty, come off the dryer plug, 20 amps. available there, chances are you will not overload with a string of lights, battery tool chargers and so on.
Ozz
Old 12-13-2007, 06:30 AM   #12
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I have a washer dryer combo installed, I think I will out in a new breaker and line just to be safe. Thanks
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:30 AM   #13
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Don made 4 plug outlets on some of our plug ins. He put boxes in that were better than what any RV builder's use. The ones he wanted were hard to find. We finally found some at Lowe's. And a couple at an electrical supply house 2 at a Home Depot. These were the shallow kind. But not the little shallow ones. The ones he wanted were between the very shallow and very deep ones. Took us all day running around to several stores and found a few at each store.
We didn't have any problem finding them when he did the plug ins for the Montana. But now.....Both Home Depot and Lowe's had the part numbers wrong and a mix up on the part numbers. They had two different kinds with same part and UPC number.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote