Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2007, 01:16 PM   #41
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I didn't know that, Bert, about the GM's. The Ford SRW has higher tow ratings than the equivalent dually. And I think it's the same with Dodge but I'd have to go back and re-check that. CRS..

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:04 PM   #42
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
We all have our favorite trucks and toys but the bottom line is what floats your boat and what can you afford.
When I bought My Dodge 3500, 2005, I priced all three and the Dodge was priced a minimum of 6000 less than the Ford or Chevy.
Last week I pulled from Gainesville to Amarillo, 300 miles.
My friend was pulling with a Ford with a 38 gallon tank, mine is a 30. My friend had to fill up in Childress and again in Amarillo. I filled up in Amarillo. I am pulling at about 13.5 mpg.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:33 PM   #43
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I'm new to the dually truck crowd. Having said that, the reason for the purchase of a dually was for the stabillity in towing the 3400 we bought a few months before. I love the truck, no problems driving around now. I don't go through drive-thrus, mostly because I don't eat much fast food, Nor am I a coffee holic having to stop at every little stand in town (like my DW,,,lol).
Our Chevy dually meets all my needs and it doesn't even know the 3400 is behind it. Heading out again at the end of the month for a couple of weeks in Nevada and sto see the son in Oregon.
I've got 3100 miles on it and the average towing mpg is 11.2 and non towing is now up to 19.5. It will only get better.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:53 AM   #44
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

Take a look at the 2007.5 or the 2008 Chevy it has as much bling as the Ford Super duties, and hasn't had the problems with the DPF system as Ford has had. Also the Fuel mileage for the F-450 isn't going to be good with the 4.88 rear gear the RPMs are going to run well above 2200 to 2500 at 65 mph and above. Most will get between 6-8 mpg when towing and 11 to 14 on the road. The F-350 will get less mileage than the Chevy 3500. Check it with a pencil now not with the digtal read out. However I must say you don't buy the F series to get fuel mileage. And don't forget the Chevy HD is the most powerful HDs on earth. I also believe the rear spring system will let the F-450 sag when towing large 5th wheels and will probably need rear air bags. Comments are my own and I don't own a Ford, but we did try to buy the F-350 but price was just to much, and they wouldn't deal. So I remain a GM owner and the other two will have to do a lot more than just have the extra bling???? Good Luck to all Truck owners with what ever you drive. The big 3 still make the only Trucks that will tow a large 5th wheel... GBY...
I would be very surprised if either the F350 or the F450 would sag the rear under the pinweight of a Montana. Our 2003 F350 carried a 3300 lb pinweight (2003 3295RK fully loaded and wet) and the weight brought the rear down to level. One of the magazines recently tested an F450 with a 20,000 lb FW and the pictures don't show any sag and the narrative did not mention any problem. Those springs are pretty stout.

In May I looked in two different cities, one in Kansas and one in Indiana, and could not find a GMC with the new Duramax, only the gasser. All dealers (probably half a dozen of them) told me they were hoping to get one "before too long." So I drove the Classic instead. Maybe they are available by now.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:32 PM   #45
Bud and Monty
Established Member

M.O.C. #6978
Hmmmm well I have to say I think the Cummins is the best engine, but the engine isnt the only thing that you need to pull with . You can have a fantastic engine , but if your tranny is a dud , well youll be sitting on the side of the road or on the side of the hill. As for the allison well , we have them here on oilrigs having problems everyday with them. Oh well means I get to go home early.
Bud and Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 05:04 PM   #46
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The new Dodge 68RFE six speed automatic is outstanding so far. It's the smartest I've ever experienced in both upshifting and downshifting, tow/haul and not. It's built in Japan. I find the only time I use the tap down/up feature is to play with it or occasionally when I'm not in tow/haul (not towing) and on a long downgrade. Usually I just pres the button for the builtin exhaust brake. Only time will tell how well the 68RFE holds up but so far I think this is one fantastic transmission. I loved the Ford TorqShift but this transmission even beats that one in my opinion. However, if it doesn't prove to be as reliable as I think it will be then my tune will change.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:45 PM   #47
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Steve, I think you will find that the 68rfe is made in Kokomo, Indiana. The Aisin transmission that is made in Japan is the transmission that they put in the Chassis Cab. The Chassis Cab with the Aisin transmission only comes with 305 hp and 610 pounds-feet of torque.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:29 AM   #48
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
After 6 months of "lurking" I decided this was a good time to jump into the forum.

After years of owning Ford trucks, we picked up our new 2007 Chevy Classic, Crew Cab, Short box, 2500HD with the Duramax diesel! This is our first brand spanking new pickup! Dear hubby spent much time looking online, including a number of threads on this forum, to make his decision. We both hate the dickering process, but I was successful in getting a price we could live with. There is a $4000 rebate on Classics until the end of July and along with the dollars from my GM charge card rebate, it made buying a new truck vs a used truck a good choice. We spent yesterday driving around the area and loving it!

We bought a 2003 2880 RL in January and have taken it out a few times and are looking forward to a week in it later in August, after we get the hitch installed on the new truck! We have made a number of "upgrades", I usually call it remodeling, to our trailer and I will post pictures sometime soon.
johnp4191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #49
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by c5racer

Steve, I think you will find that the 68rfe is made in Kokomo, Indiana. The Aisin transmission that is made in Japan is the transmission that they put in the Chassis Cab. The Chassis Cab with the Aisin transmission only comes with 305 hp and 610 pounds-feet of torque.
Pete, you are correct. I stand corrected. The sad thing is I knew that but read somewhere that it was made in Japan also. When I check, I was wrong.

Johnp491, welcome aboard and congratulations on both purchases. Many happy years and many happy miles of enjoyment to you.