Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2010, 01:42 AM   #1
ratfink11
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9683
Filling Fresh Water Tank

The directions on my 3400RL call for removing the fresh water fill cap when filling the tank. Dumb question......where is it? I have the city water/power fill in the basement but I see no cap except for the cap on the fresh water tank drain. Thanks!

ratfink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:28 AM   #2
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
It is on the drivers side rear, small door but I do not use it. I will not put any water in the unit unless it is filtered. I once had a problem with another unit getting lime and other deposits in the fresh water tank and plugged up everything. When hooked up to city water I use two filters and when I want to fill the fresh water tank I just use the fill valve in the convience center.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:17 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
It should be all the way back on the drivers side of the rig, a 6 inch square door with a lock on it. That is how I will it full when needed. I take cap off and fill till it runs out fill hole. Then I cap it again and lock the door... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
ratfink11
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9683
Thanks! Sometime the most obvious is the most complicated!
ratfink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I agree about filtering all fresh water that goes into the RV. It's been my experience with my new 2010 3150RL that the freshwater tank fills faster via the fill point at the back drivers side of the RV rather than the fill point at the service center. The reason Keystone instructs you to remove the rear fill cap is so that the fresh water tank displaced air has an adequate place to exit when filling via the service center point.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by William H. Collier

It is on the drivers side rear, small door but I do not use it. I will not put any water in the unit unless it is filtered. I once had a problem with another unit getting lime and other deposits in the fresh water tank and plugged up everything. When hooked up to city water I use two filters and when I want to fill the fresh water tank I just use the fill valve in the convience center.
Bill
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
I always use the "city water" hookup to fill the fresh water tank. Easier and less messy that way. As to taking the cap off, I do not do that. Don't know about others, but on our 2007, right next to the fill cap is a small vent hole with a screen over it. This is the vent for the tank. I just fill until the water starts coming out of that vent. Of course, you do need to have the door open for it to work right (and be able to see when it's full), otherwise the water builds up behind the door and comes out all over the place.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:54 AM   #7
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Terry,
And how do you know that??????
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I always use the valve in the water connection center to fill the fresh water tank but I also make sure to remove the cap on the water fill at the rear corner to let the displaced air escape faster than it can otherwise escape through that little relief hole. Otherwise you are putting water in faster than the displaced air can escape and the tank will swell and could burst. It happened to one of our members while at a Fall National rally so now I make sure to give that air an escape route.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

Terry,
And how do you know that??????
COUGH......well, lets just say that experience is a great teacher! And, those who forget their history, are bound to repeat it!!!

SIGH.......
Old 07-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I always use the valve in the water connection center to fill the fresh water tank but I also make sure to remove the cap on the water fill at the rear corner to let the displaced air escape faster than it can otherwise escape through that little relief hole. Otherwise you are putting water in faster than the displaced air can escape and the tank will swell and could burst. It happened to one of our members while at a Fall National rally so now I make sure to give that air an escape route.
Rupturing the tank is always a possibility in any situation. The vent could be plugged up, etc. That said, in all cases for me so far, I have not had an issue with overpressurization. I have seen areas where the water pressure is high, and that merits caution. That should be what the water regulator would be for. So far, each time I have filled using this method, the water just flowed slowly out of the vent when the tank was full. Of course, if you get distracted and forget you are filling the tank..........
As in all cases, do what you are comfortable with!
Old 07-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Actually, Terry, I think that's what happened. This person (no, it wasn't me) started filling, got distracted, went to the potluck dinner. Someone came in and said water was coming out everywhere under his Montana. His tank was ruptured. Had the large fill hole been open then it likely would not have ruptured although it would have been shooting water out of that hole like crazy. So apparently it's not necessary so long as it's being watched but serves as insurance in case one gets distracted. I think I qualify as one of those "ones" having popped a black tank while flushing because I forgot to open its valve and went inside the rig.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote