Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2007, 07:47 AM   #1
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
Microsoft Street and Trips 2007

Anyone use the MS Steet and Trips Software? It seems to make more sense to me to use a laptop with GPS than a small screen GPS (Garmin, TomTom, etc.) for navigation. I've never used either one and would like some advice from someone who has used them.

Craig A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:40 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Craig, How ironic. I've been using MS Streets and Trips for years but not with the GPS capability. I was seriously considering posting just such a message for the exact same reason. Due to having an AirCard we typically have the lap top up front with us anyway and adding the MS S&T just makes sense.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
We have that program and I love it. Although with the computer, add on GPS we use Delorme. Not sure, I like it better than what Microsoft Trips and Streets would be like with a laptop gps system since we do not have it, but I do finally know how to use the Delorme...well almost.

If anyone knows how to use the USB, thingy that receives the satellite signal with my Trips and Streets, please tell me how. Both of the software’s are GPS capable.

Personally we like that the navigator (which would be me ) can operate it while the truck is moving. My sister's Dodge has very limited access while the truck is moving. My nieces GM version has a bit more ability to reroute, etc but still not all the features. With my laptop, I have them all.

Also being of almost of the advanced age categoy, the larger screen is a benefit to us. Dick still needs his reading glasses, but I do not.
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
Glenn,
I don't travel enough to justify an aircard and when I looked at the little Garmin and TomTom screens, I figured their had to be a better way. I got a copy of the 2007 with GPS from Amazon for less than $84 shipped. Thought it would be worth a try. Should get it within the next couple of weeks, before I go to Manatee Spring SP and certainly before I go to Lenoir NC and Front Royal VA in August. I even have a couple of new, unused HP printers laying around and just put one of them out in the rig for travel. I'll let you know what I think of it when I get used to it.
Craig
Old 06-10-2007, 09:50 AM   #5
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
I have used both the computer type GPS (although not MS). I much prefer my new Garmin C530 GPS. It finds the satelites much faster and the "small" screen is very user friendly. With the GPS mounted on the windshield or dash it is much easier to read than a computer. Although not a good idea, I can operate it in a limited mode while driving. The touch screen is very friendly. I don't leave home without it.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:56 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Different strokes, different folks. Al loves his Garmin, I will never profess to love Garmin, but the voice commands are far superior to MS & T.

I do NOT like that small screen on Garmin, prefer the larger computer screen.

MS & T, when compared to Garmin, will have you 40 feet below sea level when you are in fact about 7 to 10 feet above sea level.

MS & T, the version I have, has terrible sound volumes, I have to wear an ear piece to hear voice commands.

We frequently are running both Garmin and MS & T at the same time, both have different "services", aka, one may list a great BBQ joint, and it is not on the other, MS & T is MUCH better for cemetery data base, Garmin is sad in that area. I go to a lot of cemeteries, so, that is important to me.

Love being able to "Avoid" areas with MS & T. (Thanks Steve R for teaching me that).

They all have the good, the bad and the ugly. We still depend on our maps, truck stop books, Exit authority, and our campground book to assist us while on the road.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I used the laptop and Delorme in 2004 and had a hard drive crash on the "new" laptop. I attributed it to the road vibration on the trip from Maryland to Florida and back. I now use Delorme and the laptop for planing trips because it is easy to change routes etc and then plug it into the GPS in the truck. The GPS in the truck is also tied into my Ham Radio and that was the main reason for the separate GPS.
There are some GPS with larger screens but they do have larger price tags also.
Good luck and safe towing.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:28 PM   #8
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Patty, when I loaded my MS Streets & Trips 2007 it automatically loaded the GPS "thingy" with it. Kinda like a "plug and play" thing. Anyway we have used it on a couple of trips - one to Florida and I love it. I use the push pins to mark locations and stops along the way if I don't have the GPS Coordinates. I love the count down to arrival at next stop etc. I have found the program very easy to use and we have an inverter so that we plug the computer in to AC and the screen is brite and works all day for us. That lady in the computer that talks to you gets on my nerves sometimes as the minute you pull off your route for an unexpected stop she keeps tell you "Off Route". Course I ought to be use to the female voice telling I'm going in the wrong direction anyway. Ha.
Anyway all of this is just my opinion and not intended to offend anyone.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
Phil, what do those push pins do to your computer monitor?
Old 06-12-2007, 12:10 AM   #10
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Good one Craig - if you are not careful you will let the air out of the monitor with those push pins.But they do come in handy for marking side trips, rest areas and places of interest. Besides it gives th co-pilot something to do since the voice in the computer is telling you where to go.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Craig, I have used Streets and Trips 2006 with a laptop. Also used Delorme's Street Atlas with a laptop. I used them with the laptop for the first 3 1/2 years of fulltiming. I liked both. However, I had to turn my head to see what the upcoming turn looks like and to see what it was telling me. That wasn't all that big a deal.

However, I now have a Garmin 2720 portable. The screen is obviously smaller than a laptop but is plenty big of me. It sits on the dash directly in front of me. Much easier to see the upcoming turn details without taking my eyes off the road completely.

Either way is a decent solution. It all depends on your preferences and, to some degree, your pocketbook. If you already have the laptop, then it's cheaper to buy S&T with receiver or SA with receiver than to buy a GPS.

There are some other caveats to the portable, also, such as how many routes and waypoints will it store within the unit. Do you have to plot the route on the unit itself (somewhat cumbersome) or can you use provided software on a laptop/desktop and upload the routes and waypoints to the gps. These were factors for me. The Garmin 2720 will store both routes and waypoints, far more than I will ever need. Something like 2500 waypoints. When we leave an area or complete a route I delete the route and waypoints.

The laptop solution also works. Good luck with your choice. If you go portable, search online for the best price. My 2720 Garmin lists for something around $1200 at the Garmin website. It's the bigger screen model. I got it for $499 at an online store I trust. Someone else found the 2720 new on Ebay for under $400.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote