Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
rwc6114
Established Member

M.O.C. #23640
Question Cold air invading

Living full time in our trailer in Oklahoma this winter. We have a 2017 3731FL with 2 bedroom slideouts. The one slide that has the bed on it has cold air seeping around the head of the bed. This is the part that slides out and has storage underneath. I thought maybe it was coming in from the storage area and recently insulated the area underneath the head of the bed. We still are getting cold air in from somewhere. The side walls that have the windows and are exposed to the outside seem to be where the air is coming in. Both windows are confirmed closed but the shelves under the windows are cold as well as anything sitting on them. I can't really feel any air moving even on windy days.

Has anybody else with this model had the same issue and if so did you address it and how?

Thanks for any information!!!

rwc6114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:59 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Yup. Noticed it in Philly in 19degF and windy.
Put 3 layers of Prodex on your bedroom windows. One on the inside of the frame and taped down. One over that overlapping the one underneath and tape it down. Then the top one overlapping that one and taped down. Each layer is sealed from each other. The outside layer will cover the window frame. Most people use reflectex, Prodex is better. Do the same for any other windows you can sacrifice. For windows you want, use clear vinyl on the outside and shrink film on the inside. Alternatively, clear big bubble, bubble wrap. Cut to fit, lightly spray windows with water and apply bubble side against glass. Let’s light in keeps cold out and is easy to remove.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:30 PM   #3
footz1941
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21057
I slit styrofoam swim noodles lengthwise and stuff it under the floor of the slide out. Seemed to help the cold feeling at the head of the bed. Also did it to kitchen and living room slides. Believe it helped especially when the wind is blowing. Just remember to remove them before pulling the slides in
Rex and Patsy
footz1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:32 PM   #4
rwc6114
Established Member

M.O.C. #23640
Thumbs up

Thanks, Daryl. We will give it a try!
rwc6114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:05 AM   #5
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Something that is more pliable than pool noodles is Rubitex pipe insulation, It comes in many sizes so you can measure the gaps your filling.
You’ll find it at big box stores or plumbing supply stores. It’s soft black Neoprene material.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:55 PM   #6
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
I was going to suggest measuring the temp in the storage area under the bed to check for infiltration there but then I saw all the replies about the windows. We have the same year and model but warm headboard area. I think the difference is we have double pane glass. I wasn't sure if it was worth the cost but now I'm thinking maybe it was. we winter in north GA and it does get gold here. I've seen single digits.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:56 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We do insulate the basement and our storage areas from the outside and, in some areas from the trailer itself, and it does seem to make a noticible difference. In some models that have a front bedroom, the closet on the right may have a hole that is open to the opening the pinbox goes thru. In our rig Keyston just wraped a thin piece of cardboard around the back to block the hole from view, but it did nothing to stop the air. It was on our list at the Rally and they stuffed insulation in there and sealed the hole.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:04 PM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
This is more noticeable when in bed when next to the window, but actually happens with all the windows when it’s cold out. What happens is, the glass is colder than the wall and air against the glass cools and drops, starting a circulation and that is what feels like a draft from an air leak. If you are close enough to any of the other windows in the trailer, the same thing will happen. If you can insulate the glass well enough, this will not be as noticeable.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:10 PM   #9
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Fist real cold night in ours the pipes froze. Opened up the panel behind the convenience center thinking the furnace vent to the basement had come undone. Put an electric heater in there with little effect. Then I noticed a space between the frame and the J-wrap and could see light below all right below the water pipes. Stuffed the foam from a pillow in the gap and within minutes had it up to 65 in the basement. Got everything thawed out and never pulled that pillow out. Not a problem since. Just another spot they missed at the factory.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:16 PM   #10
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
DebNJim B,
"...Then I noticed a space between the frame and the J-wrap and could see light below all right below the water pipes..."

Where is this at? Picture?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2020, 08:03 AM   #11
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Don't have a pic, and we're on a side trip right now away from our rig. But there was a small gap about 2" wide below the convenience center and between the frame and the J-wrap. It was enclosed below but there were holes for the two low point drain lines that allowed cold air to blow up right on the plumbing. This was just the thin aluminum outer panel that wraps around the bottom of the body. I wedged the piece of foam between the frame and the back lower portion of the convenience panel and that sealed it up. A simple and cheap fix and I suppose one the dealer would never be expected to catch in their inspection. I would guess that they would normally use spray foam at the factory to seal the holes the drain lines run through like they do in other areas where pipes and wires penetrate the coroplast. Curious though to know if anyone else has had a similar issue.
Even if your not exposed to freezing conditions it would be a place for mice to get in.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:34 AM   #12
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Ok thanks