Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #41
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
While our black tank indicator works pretty well both grey tank indicators almost always show full so occasionally I don't drain often enough and get the grey tanks backing up into the shower and kitchen sink. Despite my best efforts to keep the tanks clean the grey tank indicators must be covered in soap scum. So far no problems but After reading this post I think I will start dumping more frequently to reduce weight in the tanks. Don't travel with tanks full but I'm sure boondockers do frequently so you would think they would experience these problems more frequently.

Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #42
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

When I dump and Flush my Black tank I always make sure my 2 Grey tanks are Almost full as it Works AWESOME for Back flushing the Black tank ,after I make the initial Dump and flush of the Black I CLOSE my End termination valve and let the Grey tanks loose for about 30 seconds and it goes back up into the black tank then I open the end valve and you would not believe how much More comes out of the black tank after the regular Factory flushing ,it puts a Flush King to Shame and I have never had a tank Blow having my grey tanks full to do this
Great idea. Think I will give this a try. My black tank valve hasn't completely sealed since new so perhaps using this method plus my usual black tank flush will clean out whatever is preventing the valve from closing completely.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #43
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
While our black tank indicator works pretty well both grey tank indicators almost always show full so occasionally I don't drain often enough and get the grey tanks backing up into the shower and kitchen sink. Despite my best efforts to keep the tanks clean the grey tank indicators must be covered in soap scum. So far no problems but After reading this post I think I will start dumping more frequently to reduce weight in the tanks. Don't travel with tanks full but I'm sure boondockers do frequently so you would think they would experience these problems more frequently.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #44
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
yep I have been doing that method for a few years now and it still works great Hopefully it may dislodge any tissue stuck in the black valve that makes it leak
Old 10-19-2016, 03:34 PM   #45
mamamoose

M.O.C. #17170
we had a similar incident about midnight one night on a six month old BIG Sky.Scared the heck out of us.Still under warranty so it was repaired.Just had a brand new roof put on this same unit as the roof had major issues and of course Keystone wouldn't help us out at all.The entire problem with the roof was due to shoddy work under the rubber roof.No more Keystone products in my yard ever.I guess if they had been honest with us I wouldn't feel this way.Second roof on two separate units.First time shame on you second time shame on us.
mamamoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #46
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mamamoose

we had a similar incident about midnight one night on a six month old BIG Sky.Scared the heck out of us.Still under warranty so it was repaired.Just had a brand new roof put on this same unit as the roof had major issues and of course Keystone wouldn't help us out at all.The entire problem with the roof was due to shoddy work under the rubber roof.No more Keystone products in my yard ever.I guess if they had been honest with us I wouldn't feel this way.Second roof on two separate units.First time shame on you second time shame on us.
Keystone told me personally, that if their workmanship caused the roof to fail they would pay for the repair. Apparently that is not true, go figure.

Mark
Old 10-20-2016, 03:55 AM   #47
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Letting the gray and galley back up into the tub or sink was once a common practice for us but after 4 holding tanks burst while standing on our lot we gave that up. We will close the gray and galley tank one day before dumping the black tank and we dump the black every three or four days.

We had the gray tank burst in our driveway because we had the gray tank closed and left water running in the Bathroom sink. No back up in tub or sinks, no water in RV,just a loud boom.

If what you are doing is working for you then keep on doing it.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:12 AM   #48
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If what you are doing is working for you then keep on doing it.
Rich
Is there nobody that makes a better tank than the OEM junk.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:18 AM   #49
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Quote:

When I dump and Flush my Black tank I always make sure my 2 Grey tanks are Almost full as it Works AWESOME for Back flushing the Black tank ,after I make the initial Dump and flush of the Black I CLOSE my End termination valve and let the Grey tanks loose for about 30 seconds and it goes back up into the black tank then I open the end valve and you would not believe how much More comes out of the black tank after the regular Factory flushing ,it puts a Flush King to Shame and I have never had a tank Blow having my grey tanks full to do this
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:22 AM   #50
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Quote:

That's how we do it. Of course, we had to separately buy and install an end termination valve. We got a clear 45 degree elbow to see the results. Also, we have threaded steel wire though and around the parts to prevent them falling off in transit (how do I know).
I wonder if the tanks have been off-shored?
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:02 AM   #51
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
After having to replace 2 gray tanks from the kitchen, we now dump our black tank every time we leave from a campground. That includes 2 gray tanks. The tank that includes the shower and bathroom sink need dumping after 4 days if we both take showers for 4 days in a row. We usually use the camp showers if convenient.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #52
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
is it alway the grey tank? Mine failed on the bottom rib. I noticed that Keystone installed the angle iron brace with the edge upward and the tank when filled and swelled would come down onto it. I nstalled a 2x2 into the angle iron. i also slipped a piece of 1" rigid styrofoam between the tank and the 2x2. It has been good since. I would consider getting a custom made tank if I were you.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:45 PM   #53
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Well, well I am not the only one who has tank failures and multiple tank failures. I guess mnay of us do not know how to use the holding tanks. If you over fill a tank does it not back up into the tub, sink, john. I guess not because mine just blow without over filling them.
should probably take to the rally in Goshen the`ll fix it once and for all.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:09 PM   #54
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Been there done that on two Montana's they fail anyhow. The service center repairs to OEM spec's nothing added. If you what to re enforce or modify it is on your dime.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:56 AM   #55
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
My last gray tank for the kitchen (second time) was replaced by the dealer I bought the trailer from and they did add some renforcing and added a extra vent. My extended did cover the price and we see in the future if this works or not. I dump more often and my several trips this past summer were trouble free. Next spring when we go through the south again (weather permitting) will be a further test if these repairs work.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:11 PM   #56
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Something out side damaging the tanks?
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:18 AM   #57
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I just completed repair to our grey tank, which failed in one of the ribs, toward the front of the tank. It appears to have happened due to flexing when the tank fills and then empties, causing the center of the rib to weaken and crack. I made the repair with a Plasti Mend kit, using the screen material and the repair goop. I also added two angle iron supports across the frame and installed blocking to fully support the tanks every foot of length.

these are the supports and blocking

this is the crack in the rib of the tank

this is the repair

this is the label on both the grey and black tanks
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:07 AM   #58
Larry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8173
I'm on my third forward gray tank. Both failures were due to them press forming in the area that forms the outlet. The pressing isn't uniform and leaves an area(s) that is too thin.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:40 AM   #59
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
This is crazy. What would an aluminum tank cost? Or is this not feasible for some reason I am not aware of?
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:36 AM   #60
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Failed holding tanks....who would have thought...