Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Hydraulic question for those of you with Level Up

For those of you with hydraulic slides and the Level Up system ... should your pump motor fail, what is the procedure to manually pull the slides in or manually pull the legs up. Another way of asking is how do you isolate the slides from the landing gear or vise versa when I assume using a drill motor and a 1/4" allen to supply the pump power? Although I'd imagine I'll not opt for the level up on my next fiver ... I'd like to know the answer to pass on to others when in need.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
There is a flexible extension provided to use with a drill when needed to drive the pump.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #3
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
I know about the manual drive adapter, but I am interested in the responses regarding isolating slides and level up.
I could always close all the slide valves to raise the level up, but that would be backward to my normal close up/hook up procedure.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
OK ... then how do you isolate the slides from the landing gear? Say you want to pull the slides in first, then hook up to your truck ... how do you make it do just one operation at a time ... or do the landing legs and slides all retract together?
Old 03-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
The slides and six point level up are independent of one another, I believe if your slides are out and you rotate the hydraulic motor in the direction that would retract the slides, they would indeed retract. Now I am not sure that you may also have to activate the switch in the retract position at the same time as there must be electric valves that need to be opened to operate in either direction.

I think the level up would be the same and the control would have to be in the manual mode and you would have to use the buttons on the control to move them in whatever direction you wanted while the pump was running, there has to be electric valves in play here also.

Someone may have experimented with this and might be able to give a good explanation.

If you run the motor with jumper cables, it would be my opinion nothing would happen unless you also used the extend/retract switch at the same time to open the electric solenoids.

My take on it for what it's worth.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
So does this system use 2 position valves with the pump always running one way or does the pump still turn one way for extend and another way for retract with basic one way valves just directing flow? I realize this is a really new post, but was no one given the manual procedure for "if the pump motor should quit" when they did their walk thru at the dealer?
Another clarification ... are there two pumps and reservoirs or just one?
Old 03-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
The pump runs two ways. The slides have separate controls from level up and landing legs
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I don't want to sound dense or redundant, but say you were sitting level at a campsite and started to leave, but the pump motor failed. What exactly do you have to do other than spin the pump with a hand drill to first retract the slides, then retract the level up legs, then raise/lower the front legs to get your truck hooked up if it all runs off one pump/reservoir? To all that have or will respond ... thanks for your patience and replies.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #9
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
There are two sets of actuators or slide valves, both adjacent to pump. One for slides , one for level up. Slide control switches are in control box inside RV. Level up control board is in a small door on the roadside, it is a touch pad. There are mechanical valves in the same the compartment, off/on for hyd slides, there purpose is to allow you to operate each slide independently . Confusing when you are not hands on.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #10
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
dieselguy, pm H.John Kohl. He ask that question at the Lippert booth at Quartzsite. in Jan. .It was explained to him. Bill

Thanks Hook, I didn't see your post before I posted. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Since we still have the OLD landing gear and leveling system and the slides this question has been on my mind also and hopefully John will jump in here and give us some answers. If we decide to get a new unit there is no doubt we will be getting the level up system and this is something we we'd like to know also.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:24 AM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

For those of you with hydraulic slides and the Level Up system ... should your pump motor fail, what is the procedure to manually pull the slides in or manually pull the legs up. Another way of asking is how do you isolate the slides from the landing gear or vise versa when I assume using a drill motor and a 1/4" allen to supply the pump power? Although I'd imagine I'll not opt for the level up on my next fiver ... I'd like to know the answer to pass on to others when in need.
EDIT AFTER READING MANUAL AND WATCHING VIDEO IN rohrman POSTS
I can only answer what I now know about my new levelup. However I "assume" the newer units that have one pump for all will work the same way.
I have three solenoids for the level up. One for both front legs, one for both road side legs and one for both the curb side legs. On the solenoid (opposite end of the wires) is an Allen wrench keyed "valve" you screw it in to [s]prevent [/s] allow fluid flow through that hydraulic solenoid. This picture shows the wheel cylinder solenoids. The front legs is in a different location.

Note: Because of space these are mounted upside down so normally the Allen wrench would be on the bottom.

Since the pump motor runs both directions for hydraulic fluid flow you only have to allow the fluid flow for the selected cylinder you want to move.

As stated in the manual the set screw fully counter clockwise is normal and closed position. Clockwise (normally 3 turns) is for open position of the solenoid.

Screw in/open the slide solenoid and retract the slides.

Next, screw the slide solenoid valves out and in/open one at a time for both the wheel solenoid valves and retract them.

Finally screw out/close the rear solenoid vales and screw in/open the front legs solenoid valve to raise and then lower for hook up to truck.

The latter is how I would deal with my level up without power.

I hope this is clear and helps.
Safe travel

edit = Thanks to rohrman for the links to the manual and video.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:15 AM   #13
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
We need a detailed hands on class on this. At least I do.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:58 AM   #14
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Thanks a bunch John ... I knew there had to be some way to [s]block off [/s]"isolate"flow to the level up legs to get the slides retracted. The set screw manually [s]closes off [/s]"opens" the valve ... manual override so to speak. Since Keystone is too cheap (on my 3150 and my old 2980) to make it to where you can electrically run individual hydraulic slides out like several SOB's ... I made a manifold with 12V DC blocking valves to disable any slide I want if I don't want to wait for the bedroom, kitchen, living room sequence on my 3150RL. [s]I find it pretty interesting that this information seemingly hasn't been made very public for the new units with level up.[/s] "You just have to be shown where the right info is located." I can see someone used to the older systems attaching the drill and adaptor on the end of the pump motor and getting a suprise. I guess Keystone has sooooooo much faith in the pump motors that they feel my scenerio would not be worthy of mention. Thanks again ... it all makes sense now.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #15
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
For the emergency operation of the legs, Lippert has a Lipsheet 0262 at http://www.lci1.com/support/leveling...veling/levelup which covers manually raising and lowering the legs. There is also a youtube video on the Lippert site, This covers both the legs and hydraulic slides.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #16
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Changing direction of thought after reading the Lip sheet. It appears the Level Up leg valves are normally closed as it states you're opening the valves with the set screw. Soooo do the slides have similar valves?
OK ... I just now watched the video ... all is clear.
Thanks
Old 03-04-2014, 03:32 AM   #17
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I would assume the manual override procedure presumes there is no power to the pump, or that it has been damaged. If the pump is damaged but there is power to the rest of the unit, then opening the solenoids which are normally all closed could be accomplished by pressing the slide switch to either extend or retract the slides and not have to use the allen wrench to manually open the valve.

Pressing the slide switch performs two jobs, one it activates the solenoid on the motor in the appropriate direction and opens the valve/valves needed to operate the slides, this valve would open when either retract or extend was depressed.

Unless it is a mechanical problem with the pump motor then it makes sense to use booster cables to operate the system if you do not have 12V available from the RV.

The 6 point level up requires 12V to determine and find the level, you could extend/retract the jacks but I see no way you could automatically level up without power or even operate the valves manually from the level up panel.

I think Lippert has tried to keep it as simple as possible in their explanation of what to do. They just don't tell all that could be done.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:53 AM   #18
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
We have just gone through this very thing. To extend landing gear, turn your slide valves off. Have someone hold the "front" button down while you run the drill. One direction will raise, the other way will lower. Once the gear is down you may unhook. To run slide out, have someone go inside and hold the slide switch to "extend" while you run the drill in whichever direction that will extend the slide. All of this as assuming that your system is the same as ours. BTW, the drill method operates much slower than the electric motor that runs your pump so be patient. Keep Smiling.
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote