Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2014, 12:46 AM   #1
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
extending slides while hitched??

So if I stop at a Walmart to shop and I leave the Monty hitched up and the parking lot is flat, are there any reasons I can't extend all 4 slides to have access to the frig, cabinets, and closets?

I haven't found anything that says, I shouldn't.

jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:40 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
If you are level, you can extend slides while you are hooked up.

IF you are in a parking lot, I would be sure to be careful that no one is going/could have the "opportunity" to clip one of those slides.

Many that boondock at walmart and other commercial entities do not put slides out, they feel it is unwise, or unacceptable. To appear that you are "camping" in their parking lots is frowned on by many. Your mileage and how you feel about this may vary.

When we stop for shopping, we can access the frig and the rest of the groceries rides in bags safely tucked away on my futon (couch). I put the rest away upon arrival.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:50 AM   #3
pappy65
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10842
We stay at Walmarts frequently when on long trips. Usually try to park against curb so bedroom slide extends over landscaped area. I am just afraid someone might run into slide. We have extended other slides just to get something, but do not leave them out. As mentioned, I don't want it to appear we are "setting up camp". I have seen the Walmart at Sheridan,WY look like a KOA with people sitting around outside and grilling. Just think that's asking for Walmart to end what I consider a good thing. I really like being able to pull into Walmart when we have pulled maybe 700 miles or so and it is late at night. Very convenient.
pappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:53 AM   #4
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Our Walmart is posted for no overnight parking, even thought I have seen rigs there overnight. But the other day, I was there for 3 hours with the slides out and the truck unhitched while I worked on the rig. No one said a thing. My loading today will only take 30 minutes, so me putting the kitchen slide out probably will not draw any concern from Walmart.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:16 AM   #5
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
You might want to extend down the front landing gear just enough to touch the ground if staying over night, if you don't unhitch. Not sure what would happen if then you use just the rear legs to lift the rv to get it level front to rear. Anybody ever try that? I guess that would push down on the tv to much. Just out thinking out loud.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:56 AM   #6
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
I have done this on occasion, though I make sure I am "relatively" level. I would never extend the slides if the rig were extremely unlevel. All mine are hydraulic, I believe your bedroom slide is cable operated and therefore would not offer an opinion on that one.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:13 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have extended the slides when staying overnight at a campground and not unhitching with the 06 3400.. We did lower the front landing legs to stabilize the RV and bring it up a couple of inches if necessary. Now the 6 point leveling system makes it easy to unhitch and level.We do not stay in Wal-Mart lots but appreciate the opportunity to do so if necessary. It is not good practice to bring out the slides at a big box lot. Overnight parking does not mean overnight camping.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:35 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Like Rich and Helen we have extended all slides in a pull thru spot and stayed hooked up. Unfortunately our rig has to have the bedroom slide extended to access the bed so when we stop at truck stops or box stores, which we usually do, we have to extend the bedroom slide and of course the stairs on the opposite side. Like Pappy65 we try to get the slide over some landscaping when possible. We do worry about someone hitting the slide with us in it, particularly a tired trucker so when we worked for the COE we took the end of the rolls of reflective tape that were left over when we did the gates and put that on our slide and steps. Now headlights will pick it up from a block away.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:04 AM   #9
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
We have DOT reflective tape on all 4 slides, pin box, and stairs (lights up like a Christmas tree when hit by headlights) That being said we still try to minimize slide use in parking lots. When we are unlevel we throw down a couple pieces of blocking and pull the offending wheel(s) up on it. Remember, you can raise the front of the trailer, by pulling the truck tires on blocks, same as the trailer.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:13 AM   #10
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Like Rich we do not overnight at Walmart and try to avoid those places when hooked to the RV. We appreciate the opportunity to spend the night if needed but choose to not do that.

When we are traveling we ask for a pull through and do not unhook if it is reasonably level, we put all slides out and up goes the satellite dish. Sometimes we are not perfectly level and that really does not matter if it is not too far out. With the 3402RL we need to put out 3 slides to have use of the bed, fridge and eating area.

After being forced to extend all of my slides at a US border crossing on a very sloped spot for an "Agriculture Inspection" I don't worry too much about being out of level a wee bit. I try to have it in the head down slope so all the blood that has gone to my feet and posterior during the day gets moving again....LOL

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:38 AM   #11
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Our lot boys sometimes move them short distances with slides out.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #12
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HOOK

Our lot boys sometimes move them short distances with slides out.
Ours was brought out of the lot to the delivery area this way. Quite a sight behind a Ford tractor.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #13
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I never deploy slides hooked to the rig. I am very level when hitched, but call me old fashion. I make sure I am in an authorized spot, unhook and deploy the six point. I am either "all in" or "all out"! Lol. I have reflectors and tape on slides. I also use lighted cones! Never felt right about parking lots. My dogs and DW don't like rest stops or parking lots either. I saw a video once where guys trailer caught fire. He was trying to unhook the truck, and could not. That might be part of the reason I detatch, perhaps counseling would help me ?......
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #14
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
While I have no problem extending my slides while still hooked up and even a small amount out of level, I would not pull the unit at all with the slides out except in an emergency.

When I saw a "lot boy" pivot a large Montana 90 degrees on the spot while I was talking to the service manager, I asked him if he would allow that maneuver if it were his RV. He turned beet red and was too embarrassed to answer, he said nothing and walked away. Is it any wonder there are issues with spring hangers and other suspension parts.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #15
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

While I have no problem extending my slides while still hooked up and even a small amount out of level, I would not pull the unit at all with the slides out except in an emergency.

When I saw a "lot boy" pivot a large Montana 90 degrees on the spot while I was talking to the service manager, I asked him if he would allow that maneuver if it were his RV. He turned beet red and was too embarrassed to answer, he said nothing and walked away. Is it any wonder there are issues with spring hangers and other suspension parts.

Very good point. I saw a guy reposition his RV with slides out. Hit a power post! With my luck I might just leave the park with slides out ! Lol

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #16
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jlb27537

....The folks that put down jacks, put out slides, make Wal-Mart look like a KOA, I will go over and call them out that they are ruining it for the rest of us.

Some reading for those of you just starting out.
http://escapees.com/Parking/Docs/boo...g%20letter.pdf
Noticeably missing from the Referenced "Industry-sanctioned Code of Conduct - (RVers’ Good Neighbor Policy)" is any mention of extending or not extending of slides.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:40 PM   #17
bobcat92
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12853
This is from the Walmart Web site http://corporate.walmart.com/frequently-asked-questions

"While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store parking lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV."

I haven't stayed overnight at Walmart but have parked to get supplies. I would agree the less space you occupy the better. I don't know why they would care if the legs are down or not. I have read that Walmart encourages RVs to park because they know that they will get your business when you need to buy groceries or make other purchases. They are making a business decision.

I have to agree if you abuse it then they might change their policies.

In Billings the city banned overnight RV parking for a short while but then reversed their decision. Walmart was one who lobbied to reverse the ordinance.
bobcat92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:01 PM   #18
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Two questions... many have mentioned DOT tape on the slides. I wanted to know if you recommend a specific color, and do any of you have a photo of how/where it was applied?

Second, on the newer Monties, do you just crawl over the bed with the bedroom slide stowed? Some I read put it out over landscaping, but if that's not an option, stow it and crawl?

I've never stayed in a big box parking lot, and I've heard (3rd hand) that the parking lot vacuum trucks keep you up all night. Any experience with that? I think we'll keep our distance except for parking to buy items, but in an emergency, it's nice to know we have options.
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:22 AM   #19
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
As indicated, the fiver should be level. Agree, we are finding some Walmarts are banning use of their parking lot, in one instance we know of because of complaints from local campground owners.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:33 AM   #20
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

...It is not good practice to bring out the slides at a big box lot. Overnight parking does not mean overnight camping...

Agree. Also, I would not do any work on it in a WM parking lot except for emergencies.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote