Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Washing Made Easy

Washing the Monty was a task that I really did not look forward to very often. Dragging out the big bucket, hose, extend a brush etc. I had been looking for a better way, trying those soap applicators that you can just put your soap in and it applies the soap with the water. Well, the idea was good except that most of those applicators dilute your soap in the bottle as you proceed in washing. When you start, the soap is very concentrated, and when you finish, it is extremely diluted. I found an applicator that just siphons the soap from the container and does not mix water with it till it is in the nozzle. Works extremely well with both car wash soap and with RV wash and wax. I made up a "Y" connection at the handle, put the applicator on one side and a spray nozzle on the other side for rinsing. Just need that contraption, the brush and ready to go. No Bucket! Apply soap, scrub, rinse. Easy. Just thought I would pass this on. Some of you may have an even easier way. Please share if you do. Anything we can do to make this job easier is worth a look. Here is the link to True Value's website that shows the applicator.
http://www.truevalue.com/product/Air...eyword=sprayer

[img][/img]

bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:31 AM   #2
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I just dilute my soap 50/50 put in one of those spray bottles you buy at the dollar store Spray an area hit with the brush and rinse
I use Turtle Wax Zip Wash works well for Us!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Bob If you wont to get the bugs off the front, put some Purple Power in your spray bottle. Let it set a few minutes lightly brush repeat, and it won't hurt your camper. Takes me about 15 minutes. It works as good as any thing I have ever used on aluminum wheels.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Bob If you want to get the bugs off the front, put some Purple Power in your spray bottle. Let it set a few minutes lightly brush repeat, and it won't hurt your camper. Takes me about 15 minutes. It works as good as any thing I have ever used on aluminum wheels.
Lynwood
Where do you buy Purple Power? Always looking for a better product.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
mach111
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13142
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobsals

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Bob If you want to get the bugs off the front, put some Purple Power in your spray bottle. Let it set a few minutes lightly brush repeat, and it won't hurt your camper. Takes me about 15 minutes. It works as good as any thing I have ever used on aluminum wheels.
Lynwood
Where do you buy Purple Power? Always looking for a better product.
I would not recommend to use purple power around or near graphics.
mach111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Keep the nose waxed and buffed. Bugs will not stick very much and those that do will come off easily. I put 6 coats of wax on the nose initially and now add one per year. Always buff it out too.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I use it on the graphics. It hasn't hurt mine and my Monty is a 2001 model. Advance Auto sells it. Check on line, Google. I've been using the stuff for over 30 years in one form or another. For years it was a local product here. Advance Auto is headquartered here and I suppose they picked it up when they were a small company.
Lynwood
Old 08-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
For those who are worried about Purple Power harming your paint. I ran over my squirt bottle with my motorcycle. I didn't think it was hurt. When I finished washing my truck and getting the bugs off the grill and front end I set the bottle on my tail gate and the next day I noticed it was empty. It had set in puddles on the tailgate for 18 hours. I took a hose and washed it off NO harm done. I had squirted it on the front of my truck waited a few minutes wiped it with my wash rag and hosed a years worth of bugs off.
Lynwood
Old 08-09-2013, 03:41 AM   #9
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Great Idea Bobsals and an awesome tip, ingenuity at its finest.

Now that is one I never thought of with the Y adapter. I'll give it a try since I already have the adapter. Or maybe another short length of hose from the Y. I've never used the quick disconnects but that is an option too if there are shut off's on the Y adapter.

I have been using the Ortho one from the home centers.
Like this one cheaper... but you get what you pay for.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ortho-Dia...60PM/100036228
This is no where, as well made as your setup. Plastic vs brass or bronze. but I find it works, just as effective. I've used it for pesticides, lawn fertilizer, and Washing. Just rinse out the bottle well. I like the dilution ratio dial built in to the dial. When I'm done I dump the concentrate back into the original container.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobsals

Washing the Monty was a task that I really did not look forward to very often. Dragging out the big bucket, hose, extend a brush etc. I had been looking for a better way, trying those soap applicators that you can just put your soap in and it applies the soap with the water. Well, the idea was good except that most of those applicators dilute your soap in the bottle as you proceed in washing. When you start, the soap is very concentrated, and when you finish, it is extremely diluted. I found an applicator that just siphons the soap from the container and does not mix water with it till it is in the nozzle. Works extremely well with both car wash soap and with RV wash and wax. I made up a "Y" connection at the handle, put the applicator on one side and a spray nozzle on the other side for rinsing. Just need that contraption, the brush and ready to go. No Bucket! Apply soap, scrub, rinse. Easy. Just thought I would pass this on. Some of you may have an even easier way. Please share if you do. Anything we can do to make this job easier is worth a look. Here is the link to True Value's website that shows the applicator.
http://www.truevalue.com/product/Air...eyword=sprayer

[img][/img]
Old 08-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #10
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I use Bounce dryer sheets on the nose for the stubborn bugs. Use a good car wash soap and wax with my extended brush. The front cap and front compartment atre the hardest to get clean. The front compartment gets a lot of road oil and grime and is hard to clean.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Could you use a shut off like this http://mobileimages.lowes.com/produc...11320334lg.jpg between the bottle and the spray head to eliminate the Y and the second nozzle? Jim
Old 08-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jimcol

Could you use a shut off like this http://mobileimages.lowes.com/produc...11320334lg.jpg between the bottle and the spray head to eliminate the Y and the second nozzle? Jim
It would not work for two reasons. First on my setup the thread pitch is much courser on the tank than on a garden hose connection. Second, the suction tube would have to go through the valve to the bottom of the tank preventing it from closing all the way. Good thought though
Old 08-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #13
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Duh, forgot about that darn suction tube. Back to the drawing board.