Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
jetenbu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11565
Bedroom Slide Water Leak

I have a 2012 Montana 3625RE with a water leak somewhere on the bedroom slide out. It seems to be towards the back of the slide out as I get some wet carpet beside the bed on the bathroom side against the wall of the bathroom and under the sliding door from the bedroom to the bathroom. I also have noticed some water on a storage container top in the storage room under the bedroom on the same side as where the bedroom slides out. I have found NO water marks in the storage room at all and NO water marks in the bedroom. I checked all the seals and they seem to be fine but I did see some moisture under the seal where the water seems to be coming in somehow. I seem to have the problem whether we have blowing rain or just straight down rain. The carpet in the bedroom gets wet and I have to run a fan on it to dry it out.

I am beside myself trying to find this leak. I found the drain pipes under the bathroom sink were not hand tight and tightened them hoping somehow this would stop the problem. Unfortunately, it did not.

If anyone has any ideas of where I should look or what I should do to stop this leaking I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

jetenbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Jim,
This has happen to several of us. You will probably find that the water is migrating in from the top of the trim piece on the bottom of the slide on the outside of the slide. This trim piece is about 4" wide and has a sealant along the top of it. The sealant over time develops small separations and water will find it's way in and collect along the sides of the bed.

Check that out and reseal and this may cure your leak. Some have removed that trim piece and sealed behind it and reinstalled the piece.

Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:51 AM   #3
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
Had a similar issue and discovered the black wiper seal along the top of the slide was folded (half in and half flipped outward). The water found its way inside past the seal right at the fold and down onto the carpet.
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
jetenbu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11565
A neighbor saw me looking at the seal and came over to see what I was doing. When I told him he said he had a similiar issue and pointed out to me the rubber seal was cut about 1/8 " short on the side that was leaking. He recommended that I caulk that area, which I did. He also found a nicked out piece of the rubber seal on the opposite side. I caulked that place as well. We are supposed to get some rain today so hopefully I will NOT see any water intrusion. Thanks for your replies, they helped get me looking in the right direction.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:57 AM   #5
jetenbu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11565
Well, we got rain last night and YES I still have wet carpet under the bed but not where I had calked. I now think I must pull the rubber flap below the slide and reseal around it as mentioned before. I will try that and get back to you all.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:27 AM   #6
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Jim,

We had the same issue with the bedroom slide. After investigating to see how in the heck water was coming in a new rig I found that the two vertical slide wiper gaskets were sitting up against the curved plastic drain gutter along the bottom. This little gutter by not allowing the gasket to sit against the slide properly was letting water come in underneath. Not sure if this is your issue but if you look on the sides of the slide you will see these. If you do have them, you will notice the gasket sits off the slide at this area and you can stick you finger under the little gutter and feel the sldie carpet behind. This is where the rain water was coming in.

To correct I slit the gasket so it fits over the gutter and against the slide above and below the gutter. So far, no more water.

Hope this helps.

Les

Old 11-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
My problem was also the 4 inch trim around the slide. They don't put enough sealant there and it pulled away letting water enter. I got some sealant put on and it took care of problem. Good luck with your problem. Wet floors and wet carpet is frustrating.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
2012 unit????? Take it to the dealer and let them figure it our....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Jim, had the same problem on our 2011 3400. It was the trim moulding along the bottom edges of the bedroom slide. The factory had failed to put any sealer behind the strip, or what little was there had pulled loose. I discovered that water was running down the sides of the slide, collecting behind the trim strip, then running along the strip and dripping out right inside, on the carpet next to the bed. And it didn't take much rain either. So, removed both the strips, caulked the WELL (enough so the caulk would ooze out a bit), then reinstalled and tightened all the screws good. Wipe off excess caulk for nice finish. No leaks since.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Les, would it be possible for you to take a photo of what you did with regard to the slits in the gasket? We have the identical water problem, and not only can we we touch the carpet from the outside, we can also see it from the outside. (Our gasket sits off to the side like yours, too.) Before we start slitting anything we want to be sure we understand exactly how you made the repair.

Every time it rains, water floods in from the bottom of both slides. Frustrating.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:08 AM   #11
jetenbu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11565
Les, Big Red715 and Takpak - I too would love to see a picture of your solutions. I can see and feel the carpet on the opposite side of where I think the leak is, so I may have multiple problems. Any help will be greatly appreciated....