Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Wiring access for stop/turn/back-up and tail light

I am considering putting on a 5 ft. LED rigid strip right under the back window of my 3400RL. It would be at basically sit at head height of following cars. If you have seen these (usually on the bottom of pick-up truck tailgates) they are BRIGHT, and NOTICEABLE! I think it would offer a large edge of safety over the stock or even LED retro-fitted tail lights. These strips offer L. turn, R. turn, stop, tail-lights (red LEDs) and back-up (white LEDs) functions.
My question/problem is from where would be the most logical, direct, less noticeable route to bring a wiring harness from?
Has anyone done this, or are there any downsides you might think of?

Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Mark, To prevent temp blinding the vehicle behind you, I would place it lower. That said, you should be able to access the wiring behind the left tail light assembly. Take the red lense off, then the bulb assembly . My 3000rk has the wires routed to there, then to the right light . Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
On our 3725, instead of doing the strip light, I removed the left tail/brake light assembly, AND the backup light assembly next to it. I don't know about others, but the backup lights are worthless as far as seeing anything. From that point, I taped off the backup light wire (but left it in place for future use if need be) then bought new LED tail/brake light assemblies. Installed them in both the old taillight hole AND the backup light hole, on both sides. So now I have four lights in the rear, and those LED lights........WOW!!! Nobody can say they didn't see you now.

This only will work if you have the standard 4 inch round taillight assemblies, like most of them do now.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I agree with Bill but I really like the idea. Big plus for added safety!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Crossthread

Mark, To prevent temp blinding the vehicle behind you, I would place it lower. That said, you should be able to access the wiring behind the left tail light assembly. Take the red lense off, then the bulb assembly . My 3000rk has the wires routed to there, then to the right light . Bill
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote