Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Well rats

Spent the last couple of days at the cabin. With the chilly evening the critters are on the move.
I've had a mouse in the camper in the past, but this is a first for a rat under the hood, can see where he was chewing, He spent the day in the hole just above him between the insulating pad and firewall. could hear him moving around and his tail ticking but couldn't get him to come out in the daylight so After getting a rat trap and baiting it with peanut butter lowering the hood some I had him by 6pm the same evening. Set 2 more traps one behind the cabin and one on the front porch, scored on both of those also. The one inthe truck was a mid sized critter and smelly.
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps1c7c9e2f.jpg

Be advised that if you click on the above link you will see a dead rat! It is a very graphic pic. So if you are offended by this type of thing DON'T click on the picture link. Thanks, RVWheels, MOC Admin.

Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Yup they can do a lot of damage. Had a problem with pack rats when we still had the S&B. Every fall I put mothballs in panty hose and tied the resulting bags to things under the truck and car hood. Never had a problem when the mothballs were on the job. Neighbors had 100's of dollars in damage however until they started doing it also.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
That must have been one weak rat you caught!

Here is what happened when I tried to catch one scurrying around in my 5er.

Scroll down for the graphic picture of the resulting carnage.

(Cue the theme song from the "Rocky" movies)

He now resides behind the refrigerator, and takes what ever he wants to eat, whenever he wants it!
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:45 AM   #4
Montana4two
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13738
We spent the past 3 winters on Vancouver Island. We had a pregnant rat mother, daddy and later her 3 infants move into the RV. The babies were easy to kill, caut 2 the first night in the one trap. However the parents were a different matter. They we very cagey and anything new we put out, such as traps and poison, were avoided like the plague. We eventually, and after a lot of reading, set up a feeding station in the front cargo hold. We put water and a nice plate of kibble to get them used to going there. Then after a week, we caught the female. Still the male eluded us, keeping us awake at night with his chomping and running across the ceiling. Eventually, a month after the first visit, quiet, and we found his body outside on the floor. The poison had eventually done its job.
Montana4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:57 AM   #5
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Overlord, That is the funniest post I have ever seen!!!

I finally came up with a method of keeping mice out of the camper when parked at home between trips.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:33 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I had rats or squirrels or something (never did see it/them) chew the wiring in my '07 F350 4 different times over two years to the tune of about $400 each time. Last time the dealer gave me a frequent flyer discount. Some vacuum hoses and wires were completely gone, including the metal part of the wires.
Tried mothballs and fox urine. Didn't help. Bought some spray called Critter Ridder at Home Depot and sprayed all wiring and vacuum hoses. Never bothered it again. Sprayed every few months, or whenever I though about it. No noticeable odor. It is made from hot pepper extracts.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
The only real way to control rodents :
http://www.syngenta-us.com/images/re...Sell_sheet.pdf
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
My neighbors cat likes to sleep inside Dually engine compartment. He must keep the rats at bay! I normally go out, bang on the side of fender at engine compartment and he comes out! I would hate to have him hurt, but nothing keeps him out?
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote