Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
Paintpro99
Established Member

M.O.C. #3285
MOUSE PROBLEMS

HELP!!! Has anyone out there ever had a mouse or squirrel gain access between the ceiling and the roof of their RV? I'm not sure if I have a mouse or squirrel running around in the space above the ceiling of my 3400RL, but there is definitely something. We think it might be mice so I took the vent cover off the air conditioning unit inside the RV and set a trap. I noticed a little bit of chewed foil pieces on top of the air filter inside the vent cover, so that's what makes me think it might be mice. I just wondered if anyone else has encountered this problem and if so, how they solved it. I checked up on the roof and couldn't see any place where they might gain access, so I am at a loss as to how they got into the ceiling space. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Paintpro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I have heard of it, they can chew right through the A/C duct, put sticky-traps up there and bait them with Peanut-butter.
They crawl up the walls, generally in the kitchen above the water heater
Good luck with it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Backroads
Established Member

M.O.C. #9419
Yea, i had same problem. Once with mouse and once with squirrel. With mouse i did same as u. Took the air conditioner cover off ibside, put mouse trap in there with peanut butter and got it. Only took a few minutes. The squirrel was comming in through holes in the underbelly around the back end cap. Jumps on the tire and then up the back between the walls and into ceiling. It came out on its own. Was storing nuts for winter. I then seales up ALL holes underneith with aluminum tape and steel wool. Good luck.

There is some other info. Search squirrel or mouse and older topics come up.
Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Once you get rid of them you might want to consider putting bait traps you can get at a farm store between the tires. We did that in an area where you even had trouble with them in your vehicles and didn't have any in the camper.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #5
mrtgraz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11349
I have a model 3455SA 2011 and yes i had mice all the time i finally found out how they were getting in. It was under the kitchen counter where the drain lines went thru the floor ( 2, big 2 inch holes ). I had to pull out my central vac system and take apart the inside cabinet guts and sure enough there was all kinds of mouse signs, I bought a can of that spray foam that swells up as it drys and fill the holes with it and tada so far so good. Knock on wood, there's nothing more of a pain then them little rodents scratching around inside the walls in the middle of the night, Good luck.
mrtgraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
Grey Nomads
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8781
We have been bothered by mice before also, up until this year. We used a product called Fresh Cab, which is a rodent repellent. We placed a couple bags in the basement area and it kept them out. You can purchase it at most farm stores, TSC, Menards, and have seen it several other places. Worth a try.
Grey Nomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:59 AM   #7
Paintpro99
Established Member

M.O.C. #3285
Thanks for all your help everybody. Since I posted this, I have found out that I have been invaded by red squirrels. I purchased some sticky traps and caught 2 so far. There is still one more up there and hopefully I can get him tonight. I still can't figure out where they managed to get into the trailer. When I first purchased the RV, I filled every hole I could find with steel wool...even all around the sink pipes so I'm pretty sure they didn't get in there. I took apart the cupboard where the hot water heater is and everything looks good there...no evidence of anything being disturbed. As soon as I am sure I have captured all of them, I am going to foam every little hole I see. I hope they haven't done too much damage in the ceiling as I'm not sure how long they have been up there. I was thinking about taking down the ceiling in the bedroom as I am almost positive they have built a nest above the bed. I am concerned about how much damage they have done with regards to chewing electrical wires and air conditioning ducts. Has anyone ever taken down the ceiling in their RV? I am wondering how the ceiling panels are attached to the aluminum rafters. Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated. Thanks all.
Paintpro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #8
poolboy59
Established Member

M.O.C. #13310
I have had mouse problems before in my old trailer, and just got a 2005 Montana 2980 RL. I am determined to keep the mice out so I ordered the Mouse-free product and applied it. It does coat the underside with a slippery clear substance, which the mice wont travel across. I have property in the woods that I park the trailer on, so there is a constant supply of critters. I am hoping this will work. If you want to chase your current mice out of your trailer, pop out a speaker if you have a ceiling mounted one, and put in a packet of Fresh Cab. It worked for me, no body to dispose of as they will leave.
poolboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote