Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
fulltimerv
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13143
Need help please with water heater

I have a question on my hot water tank.. The reset keeps kicking out for the past three days. someone told me that I need to run both electric and gas at the same time? I've only been running electric. Is that an rookie mistake?

fulltimerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You should be able to run electric only, propane only, or both at the same time without any problem.
Sounds like you may have a bad thermostat/hi limit cutout.
Here is troubleshooting info in the Surburban manual.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
fulltimerv
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13143
Thanks .. That was my thought as well about the thermostat..
Old 04-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
I had the exact same issue this winter. I had to keep resetting it in the morning... till after 5 days it no longer reset. Once this started it only took about 5 days till it died.

Take the black plastic cover off - the one where you press the reset. The thermostat/high temp cutoff is under there.

The AC thermostat has the black wire going to/from it. It the reset button is red - its one of the old units and they are extremely prone to failure. You can replace it at camping world with the newer ones they have. If its white it still sounds like it is bad.

The photo below shows the new ac thermostat in place (on the left) and the old thermostat with the red reset button sitting on the gas line.

[/URL]
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
fulltimerv
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13143
Greg. great info... would that cause my gas not to come on as well?
Old 04-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
No the gas is independent of the ac.

Is your gas side not working on the heater? I thought it was just the AC side resetting.

Same thing with the gas side though. It has a thermostat and high temp cutout.

The gas Thermostat/ High temp cutoff is the unit on the right side with the red wires. That is 12v Either or both could go. Would be a strange coincidence for both to go at once.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
fulltimerv
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13143
Thanks Greg.. for your help.. I'm in Albuquerque and this wind is relentless.. at least CW is across the highway..
Old 04-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
If you are not getting gas, it is probably one of the two solenoids that have failed. Take an ohmmeter and check the resistance. A good one is about 45 ohms.

In the above picture, it is he circular black solenoids along he gas service with black and brown wires.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Fulltimerv - you didn't answer about your gas. Is that not working either?

If your electric fails the gas should still work unless you have another problem.

Like Michael said, it could be bad solenoids. You can check the resistance like he pointed out. Or even simply a loose wire that powers them.

A few simple things you can try:

Move all the 12v wires on their connectors to try and reseat them. Might just be some corrosion creating a poor connection.

also - make sure you have Gas. First run the stove to make sure you have a steady supply. You might have a gap from a tank switch over.

then turn the gas water heater on and listen - you should hear it trying to start. When it fails, turn it off then back on and do that several times. sometimes you just need to get the gas line to it refilled.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
fulltimerv
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13143
Greg.. No the gas does not work either.. I just went to CW and got the thermostat.. After I get this one Ill Ohmn out the noid.. Thanks again I'll keep you posted

Mike
Old 04-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
fulltimerv
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13143
Well.. I started to put in the new electric thermostat and the guy gave me the electric side.. I should of looked at it before I left.. every things closed for the night.. No hot water in the morning I guess.. ugggg
Old 04-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Didn't you want the electric side?? I thought that your electric side was not working.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
fulltimerv
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13143
Guys.. thanks for the advice.. Yes my electric side was fried..but my gas side didn't work until I replaced the electric side? Not sure why or maybe when I turned the power off and replaced it the thermostat it somehow reset the gas? Still learner