Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
TLWSACCOJM
Established Member

M.O.C. #13187
need help please

Hi I am new to this forum. Looking at buying a 2002 montana big sky 5th wheel m3280. What I am in need of are real pin weight and real loaded weight. Thanks for your help in advance. Pastor jerry

TLWSACCOJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Someone may be along with the basic guesses, but until you load with what you're going to put in, the way you're going to put it in and then weigh it no one can accurately answer that question. If the reason you're asking the question is because you hope to avoid having to buy a new truck, in my opinion you need to figure on a new truck. It will weigh a great deal more, over time, as you accumulate stuff and it isn't just about pulling it. A lot more is involved in stopping it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Dick is correct. It's about controlling the load, even in emergencies. Be sure.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
TLWSACCOJM
Established Member

M.O.C. #13187
Thanks, I will be pulling with a 2003silverdo hd2500 with a 6.6 tubo duramac diesel with an allison trany, with a factory installed engine brake.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Any 2500/3500 diesel will pull it. It really isn't about pulling it or stopping it. It's what's legal and what you can live with. JMHO
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Only a scale can give you the real number, and you won't get that until you tow the RV to a scale, period! So what is one to do?

For planning purposes, you can obtain the GTWR (Gross Trailer Weight Rating) from the label affixed to the driver's side front corner of the rig or inside one of the kitchen cabinet doors and multiply that number by .25 which would give you the 25% prospected worse-case weight. It is estimated that anywhere from 18% to 25% of the gross weight is what is carried at the pin for a residential fifth wheel RV (others say 15% for fifth wheels, but residential FWs carry a lot of extra weight at the pin due to their size). My rig is at less than 20%, but I don't full time (load it up), have a generator, use 40# propane bottles, a second A/C or have other items carried at the front that would easily ramp up the pin weight percentage.

Then make sure your TV can support this calculated pin weight, plus the weight of any cargo, the hitch, etc. that can add to the weight of the rear axle, not just at the rear axle but the TV's gross weight, too. Unfortunately on the real weight at a scale will provide your actual numbers.

Just a precaution, but my 3/4 ton diesel couldn't tow my '06 legally because of the pin weight (at over 19%). But a 2002 might weigh less even if it was the heavier Big Sky RV. Reality can be a real eye opener even with planning. Remember that it's more than a big diesel engine, matching trans, brakes, wheels and tires that tow a rig, so pineranch's statement about legal and live with are things to keep in mind along with the other responses above. By asking this question, it sure seems like you have the right mindset.

Best luck to you!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #7
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
It will definately "pull it fine", but you will probably be over pin weight. That year truck only has a 9200 GVW and most all 2500 Chevy trucks will be over their GVW pulling bigger Montanas. Unless you have one of the newer 2500 trucks which have 10,000 GVW.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
info Per 2002 Montana Literature

Gross Wt 14,100
Dry Wt 9272
Carrying Cap 4,293
Pin 2100
Length 34'4"
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Thanks for the post Kdeiss.

The pin weight is typically way off since the trailer isn't loaded yet so how could there be any specific pin weight and if the pin weight is documented at 2,100 lbs this is not even 15% (14.89%) of the gross weight which is where most new owners get themselves in trouble. I would imagine this is based on the shipping weight out of the factory where nothing has been put in it yet!

The pin weight for those specifications would be between 2,538lbs (18%) and 3525lbs (25%) and these are better numbers to use. The only time I approach my GTWR is when at a campground I have full tanks and a bunch of people inside. But I am not towing at those times and will dump my tanks before driving to keep the towing weight as low as possible. My actual driving weight (GTWR of 14040) is 13,500lbs and this is how I keep my pin weight under 20% to keep my "modified" TV happy.

Also keep in mind the shipping weight may NOT include options included after the weights are obtained at the factory like I mentioned before, larger propane tanks, a second A/C, washer/dryer, a generator, and all their extra brackets, wiring, plumbing, etc. Every added option adds weight somewhere and for a residential RV it's oftentimes at the front of the rig.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
I believe the weight of passengers, pets, fifth wheel hitch, as well as any other cargo placed into the truck would need to be added to the pin weight when calculating how much load the TV can handle.
Good Luck Pastor, this is probably more info than you asked for
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Multiply the Montana's GW (off the sticker on the left front corner) times 20%, that will give you the approximate pin weight. As noted earlier, a 2500 series truck will probably be over weight.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #12
TLWSACCOJM
Established Member

M.O.C. #13187
Thanks for all the information. I like to do my research before I buy. Blessings to all.