Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2005, 03:27 AM   #1
unc53

M.O.C. #3216
Hydraulics-2004 3400RL

Hi everyone, Just got back from Goshen,IN @ Lippert Components.
We purchased our montana in July of last year and love our unit.
My problem started on our 1st trip out. Before leaving I was running slides in to go. When hooking up to TV, I noticed fluid coming from bedroom slide. After further inspection I had found that the hydraulic piston had come apart under the bed. The lock ring holding
the shaft into the cylinder had come out, pouring out fluid. So I took it out and got it back together, cleaned up the mess and we were ready to go. I called the dealer and told him of the problem.
He said bring it in. I said it seemed to be fixed but I was low on fluid. He said to add ATF. I said I don't have any and he said I could add brake fluid. So trusting the service manager I added brake fluid. So off we went. Setting up at campground it came apart again. Called dealer and he came out next day with another cylinder and changed it out still letting me put brake fluid in. All seemed well until Feb, 05, started noticing fluid around pump.
Saw a post by Dale Brubaker with Lippert components and gave him a call and told him about my problem. He said the brake fluid was eating my lines and seals up and needed to be replaced ASAP.
He said they would investicate the problem and get back to me.
I got a call from Pamela a couple days latter, and she said the dealer denied telling me to put in brake fluid, and there was nothing
they could do under warranty. But said if I came to Goshen, IN they would give me the labor for free and parts at a cost I can not discuss, and a new 5 year warranty. They installed all new lines, pump, controls while I waited that day.

I would like to commend Dale and Pamela and the 2 Techs who worked very hard to get my montana fixed so I could leave that day.
This would have been a very costly repair if they did not very generously help me out.
I will not take my 5er back to my dealer, and Keystone said I could
take my unit to another dealer of Keystone. And in the future I will only do what the manual says or call the manufactuer.

Thanks again Dale, Pamela, Bud and Mike.

unc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 06:31 AM   #2
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
unc53,
Once again, we see Lippert stepping up to the plate and taking care of its customers. Glad you had a good outcome and I will remember never to add brake fluid to my hydraulic system on the Mountaineer. Thanks for a good post.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 07:47 AM   #3
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Yep, Brake fluid can do a lot of damage when put into a system that is not designed for it. You can even do a lot of damage to a Brake system by mixing DOT3 DOT4 or Dot5 together or putting the wrong DOT in your Brake System.

It can eat a lot of stuff. If you spill some on your auto's paint job and leave it for a while, it will eat the paint right off.

I too have had the pleasure of talking with Dale at Lippert. And yes they get 5 Stars for customer relations.

Glad to hear your up and running again.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:18 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Unc53, I'm glad they got you taken care of to your satisfaction. And I agree with you about Lippert. Ever since Dale (MIMF) joined this forum they seem to be working hard to earn a good reputation for customer service. From everything I've seen and my dealings with them they're sure doing a good job of it. Thanks again for a great post.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote