Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2010, 01:57 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Attempted Autoformer Installation

What a day. I decided that since Saturday was so nice that I would get all the tools together and head for the mini-storage lot and complete the electrical system mods by installing the autoformer. I had already decided on the location beneath the steps leading up to the living room and had a good idea of what had to be done to get the system functional. One of the suggestions for the "proper use" of the Autoformer is that it be installed in an upright condition. Laying it on it's side is okay but not preferred. So, I decided to follow the manufacturer's suggestion and install it in an upright condition. This is the beginning of a couple of hours of frustration. In order to install the unit standing up, I will have to cut a good sized notch into the riser boards beneath the steps. The steps are definitely constructed well in that the first step landing extends clear to the back of the basement wall. I had come prepared with an 18V battery powered saw and even had two battery packs. Unbeknown to me was the charge condition of the battery packs. So I get about half way through the process of cutting the notch to allow the autoformer to stand beneath the steps and by then both batteries are drained. Even though I could have charged them enough to finish the job with the on-board generator, not having the charger with me eliminated that idea. Thus begins an exercise in futility of trying to cut the notch with the unpowered saw and remove "chunks" of the OSB board with a pair of channel locks. After about an hour, I gave up with the notch about 75% complete. Now obviously, the proper planning and having the proper equipment would have made this job at least one that could be completed, but it was not to be. I could have given in and simply laid the unit on it's side, but I was adamant that I would do the job as it was designed to do!! Sunday was raining, so I convinced myself after church that the only proper way to resolve the previous days frustration, was to take the family shopping!! Decor was purchased for DW to start customizing the rig interior and some kitchen items were purchased for dedicated use in the camper as well. All in all a good day, and definitely a lot less frustrating. Will finish the autoformer install one evening this week and as always provide photos for MOC forum information purposes.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:48 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Here’s wishing you good luck on your endeavor!

Old 11-15-2010, 05:26 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Don't forget the pictures! Of the job, not you being frustrated, unless you think we need the comedy relief.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Ahh, the best laid plans---------------.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
A handyman's lot is not an easy road to travel. I share your frustration, multiply that by 300 and you have my year...
I changed a combustion blower assembly in a Carrier furnace today, had to dis-member the furnace, re-pipe the furnace and water heater to make the gas lines safe.
Not an easy road at all. You had to 'field engineer', always difficult, you will be proud of the results when completed.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
This is just my experience with a Kipor generator. Be sure and make the install easy to bypass the Autoformer. I had male and female power outlets near my autoformer so I could bypass it when using a generator ... forgot to bypass one day ... the Kipor bucked and leaped and kicked off on overload. I asked Deanne at Autoformer about generators and Autoformers ... she said it's better to bypass the Autoformer when running a genset.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Good advice Dieselguy,
I have always had a method to "unplug" the Autoformer from the generator circuit. Since we have and autoswitch, the Autoformer will only be on the shore power lead, the EMS is on the output of the transfer switch. I will still have the plug, unplug capability on the Autoformer since I want to be able to unplug it in the event of failure. As an update, due to our good time at the beach I have yet to complete the Autoformer installation, so as Jim says the best laid plans not only go awry, but there ar times that they are delayed. Gotta have priorities after all.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:30 AM   #8
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Take your pistol with you and next time you see that EverReady Bunny ------ blast away that will keep him jumping. Oh your batteries were not Bunny type? Well you should have known and the Bunny never runs down.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote