Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2006, 04:31 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Carlsbad Caverns in Jan.

We are hoping to stopover at CC in January on our way to Arizona. I'm wondering how busy this tourist stop will be as Snowbirds will be on the road. The National Park Service has a site where you can reserve a spot on their tours. Is this necessary at this time of the year?

Where is the best place to stay (campground) during our stopover and how much time will we need to see the highlights? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:43 AM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Carlsbad Caverns is a great place to visit Judy and it is not busy at all. We stayed at the Carlsbad KOA that is out of town a ways from Carlsbad and it was one of the nicest we have ever seen. It is huge and you won't need a reservation. We spent one day at the caverns and another day we drove to Guadalupe MT National Park. Both were great to visit. What you might spend at the KOA, you can make up for by staying at the Escapee Park in Deming the next night. One of our other favorites was the White Sands National Monument in Alamogordo that you could stop at on your way to Deming. If I had to miss one of them I think it would be Guadalupe but you know me and my love for the National Parks.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:19 PM   #3
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Judy - ditto to what Helen has said. I grew up in Alamogordo and White Sands a plus nothing like it anywhere. Also Space Hall of Fame is there. In Deming there is a great mexican resturant - when you get off freeway heading south (think it is the second exit but won't swear to it) it is on the main street, (left turn at stop sign goes to Wal-Mart) but at the SW corner across main street it sits by itself - big lot to park Monty. I don't remember the name - if I can find out will let you know.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:35 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks so much, Helen and Lorraine, for the good info. I guess we'll just fly with the wind and won't bother with a reservation. They're probably needed for the summer season only. We will consider stops at the places you mentioned, depending on how much time we have. Gotta get to the gathering at Quartzite, you know.

We always welcome a recommendation for a good Mexican restaurant, Lorraine. When we were in Albuquerque last year we were on a mission to critique as many Mexican restaurants as we could while there. The food was delicious. Can't wait to be in the SW again!!
Old 11-14-2006, 04:06 AM   #5
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Judy, we fly by the wind all the time and have been fortunate in finding a camp ground, etc. In Alamogordo Margo's on 1st St. is a good place to eat (mex) - next time you are in Albuq try Eloy's on Wyoming, north of I40 - this is locally owned. We have also heard of one down in Old Town but haven't been there yet. The one in Deming is in a pink or salmon color building.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
Old 11-14-2006, 08:52 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for that important information, Lorraine.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:18 PM   #7
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
The most direct route from Carlsbad to Alamagordo is via Cloudcroft. I don't recommend taking it. Be aware that the road from Cloudcroft to Alamagordo is one steep and long haul. You go from 8600 ft (Cloudcroft) to 4500 ft (Alamagordo)in about 12-16 miles. I'm not sure my TV would even haul the Monty up that grade, and I darned sure wouldn't want to come down it with an automatic transmission unless it has an exhaust brake and aux tranny lock capabilities. Also, bring your "snuggies"...it can be really cold in that area, and Cloudcroft does get snow.

White Sands is truly unique. Space Museum in Alamagordo is worth a 1/2 day, maybe more. Neat area. If you want a really interesting ride, drive (w/o the Monty) up to Cloudcroft. There is a great Inn up there, wonderful food. About a 40 min drive, as I remember.

Stay Safe!!
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:08 PM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That's an important tip, P.J. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:07 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hope this is within the scope of Judy's post.
P.J., is the route on 82 down to Hobbs and over to Carlsbad on 62, then on to El Paso on 62 a safe one?
I am pretty much lost here in new tetrritory.
Thanks, Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:27 AM   #10
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Qzz, that is all pretty flat land through there.

Judy, PJ is right it is a steep grade. We did take the Monty through there and didn't have any trouble with the grade going up - haven't been down the hwy to Alamo with the Monty. Steeper than going throught the canyon on I-40 west bound to Albuq (I believe). Low gear and watch the weater while in Carlsbad. The lodge is a great place to eat in Cloudcroft. If you come up through El Paso Ft. Bliss has a nice famcamp, if eligable.

As always safe travles.
Lorraine
Old 11-17-2006, 10:15 AM   #11
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
For Ozz, info sent by e-mail...for all others, re this topic, there is a nice military FAMCAMP just south of Alamagordo, at Holloman AFB. Fairly small, but quite adequate. Call ahead, all the standard things you would do...entry routes, space availability, etc.

It is quite close to White Sands Nat Park, which is a "must do". guided tours, etc, and most interesting! Again, it gets quite cold at night in that area...have some warm clothes..

Best,

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:23 AM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We pulled a fifth wheel just a little shorter than the Montana over that route and did not have any problems. We did come down pretty fast if I remember correctly. I would do it again in a minute though. The area was awesome.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:39 PM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
You guys are making this sound like an interesting trip. Don't know how much we can do in the short time we'll be there as our goal is to make it to the Quartzite gathering. Sure will give it the ol' MOC try though and catch as many of these attractions as we can. Thanks so much.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:21 PM   #14
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
PJ, thanks for the reminder about Holloman - I forgot about that one since my family lives there. We need to stay for the stamp in our book.

Safe travels.........hope you pack it all in Judy or you'll have to plan another trip through.
Lorraine
Old 11-18-2006, 12:33 AM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I suspect we'll have a few more trips through this area as my brother just bought a little condo in Sun City, AZ. Might need to save a few sights for the next trips, Lord willing. We always like to linger in N. M. for the Mexican food.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:21 PM   #16
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
The Carlesbad KOA is very nice! We too will be going through there the first week of January.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:05 PM   #17
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I'm not sure if we'll be there during the first week or not, Rick and Wanda, but we'll look you up if we're there then. It might be hard to pull ourselves away from the granddaughters that early.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:23 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Judy, you and Glen are about to become fulltimers. You have time. If you can't do it this time, put it on the Next Time list! Or head that direction later! Spend more time on fewer things rather than a brief visit at many things. You will have time to see the other things later!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:58 PM   #19
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Well, Steve, we've actually given up our plans to fulltime and will be most-of-the-timers instead. Once we got back home and saw all that STUFF, we decided it would be best if we just kept it in the house. Besides, it would be a lot of work! Doesn't make much sense as we plan to be on the road about ten months next year but it seems to fit for us. We'll still be on the road a lot but will keep the stick house for now.