Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2005, 03:13 PM   #1
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Additional Stabilizers

Last year, when we were out looking at new fifth wheels, we came across a used 2004 3575 Big Sky that had additional scissor-jack stabilizers behind the the rear wheel, plus electric jacks at rear of trailer. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this? Could it help the rocking of the trailer?

Al

TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:50 PM   #2
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi We installed two in front of the trailer tires. It helps but dosen't stop the wiggle. We fulltime in ours and stay in one spot for seven months and use them then. While on the road the other five months, they seldom get used unless we light in one spot for an extended time. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:10 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
It's the same as me putting jack stands under the frame. In my opinion they do work BUT don't crank them up to the point that they lift the trailer. You want them just SNUGGED up thus not causing any twists in the frame.

Here's how I stabilize my rig.

If memory serves me, sreigle has added just such scissor jacks on his rig. Maybe he'll jump in here and give his side of the story.

Also like foggyb I only use my jack stands when on an extended stay of a few weeks or more. Maybe if they were permanently mounted scissor jacks I'd use them more often.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:53 AM   #4
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We used braces in the rear of our Montana. Had them built. used two three foot one inch steel tubes with a notch on on end and a eight inch plate mounted with a bolt on a swivel on the other. welded a chain link on the plates. Mounted the notched end on frame next to the factory braces. Used a ratcheting strap between them and tightened it up. They really helped the rear end sway. Like th A frame on the pin.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:21 AM   #5
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We had scissor jacks mounted about 18 inches behind the wheels on our 2003 Montana. When we traded it in, I took the jacks off and intend to put them on our 2005 Montana. They do work. Some have added them in front of the tires. I am anxious to see how that works before I reinstall them on the new Montana.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:55 AM   #6
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Installed second set just behind rear tires, helps out great deal in taken out the swaying of the rig.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:36 PM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I installed a set in front of my wheels and they help out a lot. They do not take all the wiggle out though. I also have the front tripod and the between wheel chocks.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 12:35 PM   #8
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Thanks for all your input. Looks like I need to look into some of these options before next season!

Al
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:18 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We added scissor jacks behind the rear wheels. I don't think they help a lot with the side to side wiggles but they pretty much stop the up and down bounce. I'd put them on again.

We don't have electric jacks in the rear. If they are the kind that are intended for lifting and not just stabilizing then they might help. Otherwise, I've never been able to totally eliminate the wiggles.

Ken, I used to use the triangular stands, like I think Glenn uses. I tried them in front of the wheels and behind and thought they worked the same in both places. So I permanently mounted the scissor jacks behind the wheels because it's easier to access them there on our model.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote