Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #1
cjohnson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11148
MCD Shades

Has anyone had the Monty's pleated shades replaced with MCD roller shades. Considering heading to Dallas area Late July to have this upgrade done at their location. Comments, Concerns, Considerations?
Thanks

cjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
My 3160 RL LE came with them in the living area but the bedroom and hallway windows are just day/night shades. Pretty smart idea Keystone had putting the security light next to the bedroom slide. That is how you find out that the day/night shades don't work all that great for preventing light infiltration. Maybe if the security light was mounted lower and had a shield built into the lens cover to block the light from the bedroom slide it would help. This still would not stop the fact that to much light comes through the day/night shades. Let me know how yours turns out as I would like to at least put them on each side of the bedroom slide out.
Oh last but not least my wife thinks they are ugly so I will have some sucking up to do.

Tom Marty
Old 06-07-2015, 01:48 PM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I would love to hear of someone as well that has had MCD shades put in ,when I bought my early 2015 they had day/night shades and they SUCK,the kicker is 4 months after I bought mine they came with MCD shades on my Legacy and Res fridge DANG a day late and dollar shortat least I am getting real good at fixing the day/night shades
Old 06-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Jimmy it looks like you had enough money but were actually to early. LOL
No problems with my day/night shade not operating. One MDS shade (kitchen) sometimes malfunctions. Supposed to be looked at by the dealer.

Tom Marty
Old 06-07-2015, 03:59 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The Legacy edition Montana comes standard with MCD shades (living/kitchen/dining area only, not bedroom). If it were not for the fact we are looking at buying a new Legacy Montana in the near future I would upgrade ours to the MCDs. They are much nicer than the day/night shades we currently have.

BUT. I understand they are also quite expensive. $200 to $300+ each depending on size.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #6
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Bill on our 3160 RL LE it does come come like you stated. The other thing I like about it is the sun shades that are also built in with the blackout shades. You probably already knew that but that was a feature I really liked.

Tom Marty
Old 06-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep correct that and what you said Tom,Oh and by the way Tom WHEN your strings break on your day/night shades I know a dude up in the NW that is pretty good at fixing them for a small nominal fee(a glass of Vino)
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dam Worker

Jimmy it looks like you had enough money but were actually to early. LOL
No problems with my day/night shade not operating. One MDS shade (kitchen) sometimes malfunctions. Supposed to be looked at by the dealer.

Tom Marty
Old 06-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #8
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cjohnson

Has anyone had the Monty's pleated shades replaced with MCD roller shades. Considering heading to Dallas area Late July to have this upgrade done at their location. Comments, Concerns, Considerations?
Thanks
We had them installed in McKinney at the factory, last November. They are worth every cent!!! Used the solar in Arizona this last winter and now beginning the summer.

I liked the idea that at the factory, they measure and they install. That way if any adjustments need to be done, they are done right there!!!

There were 2 choices of quality. Our choice was the American made blinds. They can show you the difference. Of course, the other choice was a bit cheaper.

We recommend them!!!
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:39 PM   #9
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dam Worker

My 3160 RL LE came with them in the living area but the bedroom and hallway windows are just day/night shades. Pretty smart idea Keystone had putting the security light next to the bedroom slide. That is how you find out that the day/night shades don't work all that great for preventing light infiltration. Maybe if the security light was mounted lower and had a shield built into the lens cover to block the light from the bedroom slide it would help.

Tom Marty
You actually sleep with the scare lights on?

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 01:41 AM   #10
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
David we do depending on our location. It is a lot easier to stumble outside in the middle of the night for the dog with some light. Fumbling around in the dark to open a cabinet and than finding the correct switch is not ideal.

Tom Marty
Old 06-08-2015, 03:03 AM   #11
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Our 2015 3440RL Legacy came with them, I wish they had put them in the bedroom as well. Where is the factory located?
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:12 AM   #12
cjohnson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11148
McKinney, TX. Dallas/FT Worth Area
cjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:47 PM   #13
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
We had the shades installed on our 3400RL a couple of years ago. Best move we ever made. We had them installed at the MCD factory in McKinney TX since it is only a few miles from home. The people at the factory let us park the trailer and a couple of days later they walked me through the installation and showed me how to adjust them if necessary. We had every window done and the total came to about $2200. Pricey, yes. Worth the money? You bet.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our 2013 Montana 3402 Big sky has day day shades.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #15
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
So happens that Al (CountryGuy) and I saw Mina's (Mynabird) new MCD shades. As she pointed out they had them measured and installed at the McKinney plant.

They are nice. The plant did a great job on the install. I have to say, the way they go up and down, wow! I think she told me they are quite helpful in the "heat" gain during the hot blasts of Arizona and California sun. Something like 20 % (IIRC).

If I were going to have them installed, and had the chance to do as Mina and Bob did, go to the plant, etc. - - that IS the way I would choose to have the shades installed.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:08 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
MCD shades may be our upgrade for this year. The whatever they are called on our Big sky are a joke. OOpps....We just looked at the cost. We will not put that kind of money into this unit.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote