Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
After the storms

It has been NASTY for the past week or so, today started out so nice, the Sun was shining, a light breeze off the ocean. I weeded around the cement strips into our site, washed the truck, and dried it off. Passer by’s warned me of my causing bad weather again, I engaged in the light banter, as we have all been sitting and peering out the windows too much.
After a shower, and a visit to our neighbor and friend, Helen, to see if all was right in her trailer. I made a list for her to buy a battery for the smoke detector, a trip to Wal*Mart to see about cell service for the phone she and her husband bought a few years ago. Sue and I worry about her, since the passing of her husband this last Summer.
I was then off for my bike ride, it had been set aside for weather reasons for a few days.
I was nice, riding again, my muscles were complaining, my knees stiff and painful, at least for the first 3 miles or so. I was wearing Jeans, a long shirt and Tee shirt, just right for the cooler weather.
I noticed how few were about, the cool weather has kept all but the adventurous inside.
I made it up the Gulf Boulevard road to the Wanna Wanna Bar, my longest stop on my bike trips.
The Sun was shining, the breeze off the ocean was cool. The bar had the wind screens up, and the 10 or so patrons were all smoking, so I got my frosty and moved to the patio, out in the breeze, (and away from the foul smoke). I saw a few shell hunters walking the beach, all bundled up and walking swiftly. Probably missing that prized shell because of the speed they were traveling.
The Sea gulls passed overhead checking to see if I was the one to throw something in the air for them, out of consideration to the bar, I did not. They have many signs posted “Do not feed the birds” can’t blame them, a nasty business a flock of birds can be….
I had my one frosty, and made my way the my bike, strapped the helmet on and started back towards home. Clouds had moved in, the wind at my back for a change, how lovely it was, to be riding with the wind, I almost felt guilty.
I was looking towards the ocean at a large ship, it’s hard to tell if they are anchored, or moving slowly, but this one was just sitting there. People say the horizon on the ocean is around 7 miles, then the curvature of the earth drops off, I always wondered how that can be, does the water run to, or fro, from that point…. Ponderous. Sometimes we just have to have faith in what ‘they ‘tell us, I guess.
I called Sue when I was around a mile from Dirty Al’s, and asked her to meet me there for a cold one, so we could hold hands and watch the Sun setting over Laguna Madre, she agreed and we did so.
The Red orb sank slowly into the Bay, the wispy clouds reflecting so beautifully, the Red colors.
I love this place so.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:21 PM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
The breeze was cool up this way too. We spent the biggest part of the day on Mustang Island, at Port Aransas. We love to walk through the harbor and look at all the boats.

We talked to a fellow on a 65' sport fisherman named Baby Doll. They were preparing to head for Cozumel shortly. Said they took on 1800 gallons of diesel yesterday for the trip. All I could say was "oh my God". The dingy for the boat was a nice center console rig I would be happy to own. We talked to another fellow that was painting on a sail boat, refinishing the teakwood trim. He and his wife lived on another sailboat. Talk about tight quarters; that boat looked small. We went on a motor sailer yesterday, and it had quite a bit of room. No way I could live on the little feller we saw today.

We drove all the way down the beach from the ship channel to beach marker 100, which is 10 miles, speed limit 15 MPH. (OK, I fudged, my cruise wouldn't come on until around 25 MPH.)

OZZ, man, you're tougher than I am. I passed up on the outside bars today. I couldn't think of a drink other than hot chocolate that was warm enough for outside today. Keep having fun!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Will, I wish I were with you today, to talk with those travelers would have bee Sweet!!!
An adventure for sure!
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote