Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2007, 04:43 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Blowout devastation

I heard the bang. There was a truck that was passing me at the same time, so I thought it was a noise created by the truck. Shortly a car pulled along side and yelled that my tire was coming apart.

I pulled to the side, and sure enough, I had experienced a blowout, but never detected it in the handling. The result was hideous. The fender was 2/3 blown away. The siding was clobbered and the main slide was bent at the lower edge - a lot of damage for a blowout. I must have hit something, but didn't see anything on the road.

The slide still works, so the damage is largely cosmetic. It still is disheartening to see the marred beauty. What a mess. I am still amazed at how well the Montana handles under these adverse conditions..

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
I'm so glad you are both ok and that it handled so well.
Thank God for that person in the car to let you know.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Hey Stiles , Sorry you had that kind of damage, Stiles - Lonnie B posted at one time that those orginal tire's were just ment for 65 MPH. What kind of speed were you doing when this happened?????
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:54 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Yep, it is hard to accept the carnage. I dinged mine back to somewhat respectable shape...still needs an end block as original is somewhere with tire shards on side of I95 New Haven Ct. Replaced all four General's 2 during that deed at mercy of tire dealer and no time for shopping. 2nd pair are of my choosing Contie's with less agressive tread design.
Couple of notes...General's were showing side bands at pressure, new treads show none of this and got 'em at the desired 80psi to handle 3042lbs...so far so good.
We weep with you, no scar goes without pain.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:11 PM   #5
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Sorry to hear about the damage, but glad to hear that you are OK. I hope you get everything repaired to your satisfaction. Godspeed!!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Nearly new tires with about 5000 miles on them. Texas to Nova Scotia and back to Virginia. Was driving between 58 and 60 MPH. Not OEMs, already had 2 blowouts in three days on them 2 years ago.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:18 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Stiles, I'm very sorry to hear of the problem and the damage but am glad to hear you folks are fine.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #8
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Boy, can I relate...just got ANOTHER new set on mine today...ouch!
That hurts to keep buying tires...lucky for me after two blowouts this year, the only real damage is a lower slide seal.

I feel your pain Stiles - glad you guys are ok.
It's tough to see your baby damaged.

Maybe we should have a workshop next year in Branson to repair everyone's rigs...

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Stiles, sorry to hear of your damages, glad you were safe. I must say that adding the Doran Pressure Pro before leaving Alaska this year saved my butt twice. One was a flat that the alarm sounded and I was able to pull over before the pressure went below 58 psi. The other was a blowout that the alarm sounded for and I was able to pull over immediately. Did not even feel a difference in handling. Lucky I had the Doran otherwise, who knows what damage might have occured. I am a firm believer in this system and I don't even sell them. You might want to consider a system for yourself........

See you on the road buddy...... Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:28 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
This kind of makes me think about that press monitor system. Just not sure on the chunk of change required - $500-$600???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:59 AM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We've had 3 blowouts on the trailer and one on the dually. The trailer blowouts did a bit of damage to the fender skirts but that was about all. Lot's of little tweaking had to be done to get everything back sort of to normal but not as bad as it could have been. And the trailer handled perfectly in all instances.

With the truck the blowout was on the inside and we happened to be passing a semi at the time. I thought it was his problem. Checked all his tires and could see no damage so pulled off at next exit and starting beating on my tires. Found the inside drive side tire flat! It had blown a hole in the tread but did not fly apart. Limped into the next big town about 35 miles and got the tire changed.

Not fun and could be dangerous but so far just an inconvenience and extra $$$$. Thankfully no one got hurt and only minimal property damage.

Stay safe out there and see you on down the road.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:27 AM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We're glad you're save but sorry for this awful experience. Your Monty is still beautiful, even with a small blemish.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:02 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That hurts but the damage was only to the camper and can be repaired. It is said that most camper blowouts are not really blowouts that is a sudden and catastrophic failure of the tire but rather a gradual and undetected loss of PSI resulting in the tire separating from the rim and the 'bang" that is heard is not the "blowout" but the sound of the tire coming apart and hitting the camper.Like Phil we invested the the Doran tire pressure monitor which will give us a heads up on the gradual loss of PSI.We just put new rubber on our 3400 and the fact that your tires were new and not OEM point out that any brand tire can fail at and time.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:33 AM   #14
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Stiles, Sorry to hear of your blow out and damage. Glad you guys are OK. Your experience and others has got me saving my pennies for a tire pressure monitor system. Looking forward to seeing you in Branson.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:50 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Glad you are all safe Stiles! Sorry for the damage .

When we lost our wheel years back, it did not leave a single mark on the trailer. I have no idea how a fully inflated wheel and tire could get out of there without hitting something.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:36 AM   #16
1luckylady
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7321
Glad yoy're okay. The damage just makes you sick though. We had a blow out last week on ours also. We heard it right away so luckily we didn't have any damage to the Montana.
1luckylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:06 AM   #17
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Stiles,
Glad to hear you're ok. Those tires sure make a mess don't they? We had one blow on our previous fiver that caused $1500 worth of damage, put a big hole in the floor. What kind of tire was this?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:59 AM   #18
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Stiles,

Glad you are okay. Sorry about the 5er. Good luck on speedy repairs.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:06 PM   #19
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Sorry the hear about the blow out. Glad to hear you are ok and how well the Montana handled.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:11 PM   #20
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I had my first blowout on our Montana last week also and we didn't
hear or feel anything. Wife said she saw smoke and "little" pieces of rubber coming from the tire. Going downhill about 60mph, about 80 degrees outside and by the time I got pulled over the tire was shredded. Barely enough room to get off road, but the tire was on the
right side so it was safer to get off. Minimal damage to trailer. These are original tires on my 2001 so I will be getting three more new tires before next trip. Les Schwab was only 5 miles away, so it was perfect for replacing that tire.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote