Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #21
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Recon Platoon Ben Hoa TET 1968, 1970-71 Dong Ha, FSB Vandergriff and Khe Sahn 1970-71 Dewey Canyon II, Lam Son 719, then Chu Lai. To this day I can smell things that remind me of RVN, rotting garbage, burning you-know-what with diesel fuel, and dead things in the jungle......Go back, hell I go back almost every morning around 3am.

Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:05 AM   #22
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Thanks to all of you who served in that terrible war and who were so neglected (and frequently abused) by the American public for so long.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:59 AM   #23
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Still got those ventilated boots and the camos. Took almost 10 years to get rid of the foot fungus. JB USN
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:10 AM   #24
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Vicki
It was horrible over there, and horrible when we got back home.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:46 AM   #25
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Thanks, Vicki your very special. When I returned in 1968 it wasn't what you wanted to come home to. I finally reached Nashville, Tn at 8:00 pm. Put my Class A uniform on again, had to take it off in San Francisco wasn't treated well there. I remove my Uniform. Took a Taxi to I-40 then put the Tumb up and the first Tractor Trailer stopped and gave me a lift to exit 143. Then thump up and in a little while a car gave me a lift back to my Home, actually I had no home my Mom was in a Nursing home and the house I left was empty. Thank God I was back in Tennessee.

Then on Veterans day 2001 my wife that I'm now married to now, Called me and thank me for my service to our Country. Only took 33 years for anyone to say Thanks. Then July 08 a church in my home town had a special program for Veterans, and Delaine and I attended. During the Program they ask all Veterans to stand about 5 men stood. Then every member of the Church proceeded to each veteran and thanked them for their service. I was finally home after 40 yrs those people will never know how that effected me. It was very emotional for me. Someday after I take my final walk, Delaine is going to write our Story.

The scars are still with me, and I am reminded very often. No Asian food (Smell) and didn't eat rice for over 10 years after I returned. Thet was my high School trip, and what a trip it was. When your Drafted in the Military its different, This number will never be forgotten, (US 53 811 XXX. God Bless you Vicki.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:10 PM   #26
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
As I read through these posts, I was awed by what you folks have endured and the pain it still causes you. The war ended just as I was turning 18 so I didn't have to go. All I can do is add my thanks to all of you who served in Southeast Asia. I am forever grateful to those who have put themselves in harms way and endured hell on earth for me, my family and my country. God bless you all!!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:10 AM   #27
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Thanks fulltimedreamer, I'm glad you was only 18. There is something I try to do when ever I see a Veteran wearing a Veterans type baseball cap. I try to greet him and Thank him for his service to our Country, most ever person I meet there is a twinkle in their eyes. Thanks again...... GBY.......
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:57 AM   #28
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Y'all have teared me up. Stop it!

And thank you to all for the kind words. Even into 1971, I was assigned to a project that would take me to Syracuse Research University. The Commanding Officer pulled the 4 of us in and said, "Don't take any uniforms. If you want to let your hair grow and not shave, that is fine. You are to blend in and avoid all confrontation with any of the locals."

The military was not well liked by a large amount of the populace, and it showed.

Since 9/11 there have been more people showing gratitude to the military since WWI.

Having rode with the Patriot Guard, we attended a Lance Corporal's burial service. When we approached, because of the Westboro Baptist Church that was present, we were stopped by the police and told we would have to have a permit. The police were informed that we were there at the invite of the parents. They checked and let 100+ of us in. At the cemetery, we were in-line, each holding an American flag, when each of approximately 50 police officers in uniform (The father was retired Police) trooped the line shaking each and every Patriot Guard Rider's hand thanking them for their service and for being there.

When the graveside services ended, a lady walking across the street asked me who we were. I explained our presence and she replied that it was wonderful standing there, listening to the services, and hearing the flags fluttering in the breeze. And she thanked us for being there.

I get teared up telling these stories because for so many years we were shunned.

NFNLB (Never Forgotten; Never Left Behind)

Semper Fi!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:37 AM   #29
John Bowers
Established Member

M.O.C. #7888
I was one of the fortunate ones. I enlisted in September 1968 (RA 116291XX), did basic in Ft. Jackson SC, electronics MOS 26V20 in Ft. Monmouth NJ, and then had two years in Thailand. Only God knows why I didn't end up the eastern side of th Mekong River.

My prayers were alway for those of you that did.

John
John Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote