Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Will Rogers, Politics, and Other Things...

Well, Congress took off without passing any legislation to give consumers relief at the gas pumps. Both CNN and FoxNews took derogatory swipes at them today in their headlines.

Will Rogers was a great American who died tragically in a plane crash in 1935. However, some of his quotes are timeless and indeed very appropriate for our current situation. Here are some excerpts I found of his on the internet...

A fool and his money are soon elected.

Alexander Hamilton started the U.S. Treasury with nothing, and that was the closest our country has ever been to being even.

An economist's guess is liable to be as good as anybody else's.

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate, now what's going to happen to us with both a House and a Senate?

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.

Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and the politicians as a joke.

I don't know jokes; I just watch the government and report the facts.

I have a scheme for stopping war. It's this - no nation is allowed to enter a war till they have paid for the last one.

If I studied all my life, I couldn't think up half the number of funny things passed in one session of congress.

If Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?

If you ever injected truth into politics you have no politics.

Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.

Ohio claims they are due a president as they haven't had one since Taft. Look at the United States, they have not had one since Lincoln.

On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter what it does.

Our constitution protects aliens, drunks and U.S. Senators.

Politics has become so expensive that it takes a lot of money even to be defeated.

The more you observe politics, the more you've got to admit that each party is worse than the other.

The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets.

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer.

Then, my favorite Will Rogers quote:
Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your family parrot to the town gossip.
(Will Rogers, 1879-1935)

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:20 AM   #2
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
It is unfortunate Dave that our leaders are "out to lunch" on working together on an energy plan. One senator in Fla. is against amost everything and I wrote back to him basically asking that he consider staying at work until he's for something! Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:35 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
CNN.com had this title for this link below on the front of their website. It was NOT an op ed piece . Very unusual for anger to show through on a regular title like this from a regular news reporter. A couple other news services also printed unflattering titles to articles on Congress' decision to bail on the American people. These guys are going to face some extremely angry voters when they get back to their home states and then step out in public.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Makes ya wonder, maybe they think they can get reelected no matter what stand or no stand they take on anything??

Love the Will Rogers quotes, was gonna quote my fav, but, having a hard time picking a fav!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:57 AM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Thanks Dave for the laugh with my coffee this morning! What a hoot, no wait a minute, that's so real! As Carol said, hard to choose a favorite one, they all stand out!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:43 AM   #6
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We must all vote! Need to get new people in Congress. If anyone doesn't vote then they don't have any reason to complain.

Great post David (dsprik)! I liked all of them!!!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Will Rogers seems timeless in his observations. Too bad comedians today can't follow suit.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote