Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Inverter/Battery life, off-grid feedback

I am asking for your experiences with camping off-grid, using battery power with Inverters.
I have a Magnum MS 2812 Inverter/Charger with 6 golf-cart batteries, I think the T-105? Sam's club.
I have been running a test all day today with a relatively light load of 35 D.C. amps.
Under real life day-night camping, how do the batteries hold up?
(I know how to calculate loads, and DC Amp-hours with wattage of my loads, I am asking for real-life stories.
Thanks!
Ozz

Here are some pictures of my installs:
Crimp connectors
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue1...eat=directlink

Breaker install for the charger component in the Magnum Inverter/Charger:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/BreakerInstall?authuser=0&feat=directlink
Magnum install:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/MagnumInverterInstall?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Wiring Inverter meters and controls.
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/MontanaWiringWorkMonday2212011?authuser=0&feat=dir ectlink

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Somewhere on here is a VERY good explanation about solar and battery charging, etc. Not sure I can find it now. But this guy says most installers don't set things up properly - too small wiring, to long of a run from battery to converter (inverter???), etc. And this person lives completely off grid. I think he even runs a microwave, but am not sure.
One thing I remember for sure was the charging voltage needs to be something like 14.7 not 14.4 which most places try to tell you. Otherwise the battery only gets charged 90 % .
A disclaimer here tho - all these numbers are close for what I remember, but generally consistent with his info.
Edit- Searched but couldn't find original, this link has similar info:
http://www.jackdanmayer.com/rv_elect..._Not_Work_Well

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:00 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Tom, I think I have the basics down pretty well. With the Magnum MS2012, the Microwave is a walk in the park, this Inverter is the 'King Kong' of Inverters, My Inverter is just on the other side of the bulkhead from the battery bank, so the run is short.
I was looking for feedback in real=life situations with a similar set-up like mine.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Sorry I couldn't find the original link. That guy talked about what all he ran, etc. I THINK he had at least 6 solar panels on his. And he talked about a cloudy or rainy time where the sun didn't shine for 3 days. No problems.
I have a good place for you to stay with solar and off grid if you like to 'get away'. Try the Sitting Bull Nat. Forest campground in the Big Horn area of Wyoming. Very pretty - a meadow next door and a creek. One time they were herding sheep thru the meadow (and a few thru the campground!). Also deer sleep near the campsites some times. And a lake with trout about 1 mile or less away.
p.s. I have stayed at Sitting Bull twice. Each time (I was not very educated with boondocking) I had to leave before my 2 day reservation was over. I did make it to about 30 hours once.. :-) I now have a few LED lights and know not to use the lights - oh I also got a generator! Finally - it is at almost 9000 feet so plenty cool. Actually there was ice over some puddles a few days before we got there one year.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 09-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
One thing I forgot - there is much shade at Sitting Bull. I don't recall if there are sunny spots next to the campsites of not - kind of think not

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 09-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Tom, it sounds beautiful. I shall place it on my list.
Thanks.