Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2009, 02:51 AM   #1
tbenefield

M.O.C. #9067
Bike storage question

any tips on packing bikes? My dealer discouraged adding an after market hitch to the back of my 34RL

tbenefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:04 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Welcome to the Forum!

I wouldn't hesitate to put a hitch on the back, just watch the weight you put on it. Montana has been adding a hitch as an option since 2008. The factory hitch has a 1" receiver which restricts what you put on it, and it has a 200 lbs max load sticker.

Several folks have had good success mounting a bike rack on the pin box that extends up and out in front of the nose of the trailer.

Other options are less glamorous, like a front hitch (bikes can block cooling and front lights), or roof mount on the truck (hard to get to).
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:06 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Some have added the rear receivers and bike mounts. But driving behind some and watching how they bounce, not sure I would.
Some carry them on the ladder racks. But again, watching them from behind, not sure I would. And some have reported the ladders coming loose because of it.
Some put receivers on the front of their trucks. I am still considering that.
There have been a few posts of people attaching a bike rack to the top of the pin box. That looks interesting also, but requires a bit of self fabrication. Don't think one is commercially available.
For the time being, I still put mine in the bed in front of or behind the hitch or both depending on how many grandkids are along. I have a long bed with room both front and back of the hitch. And our bikes have the quick remove front wheels so that the wheels can be taken off and the bikes lay relatively flat.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:11 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We take the wheels off, and store the bikes and wheels in the basement lockers while traveling. Others use bike racks mounted on the front of their truck, or there are hitches that mount on the pin box and carry the bikes in front of the trailer. We were told by the frame manufacturer's rep at a rally, that there is no problem with carrying bikes on a back frame-mounted carrier as long as the weight is kept down to about 100 lbs. Depending on your truck and box configuration, you may be able to carry them in your truck box up against the back of the cab. (I have seen this done, but you would need to be careful about turning tight!)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:15 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Until I figure it out, we just went with smaller bikes that fit in the storage cabinet

Old 01-21-2009, 04:42 AM   #6
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I built a rectangular wooden frame of 2x4s and 2x2s for the bed of the truck. Attached w/turnbuckles to the front bed tie-downs behind the cab. Bolted bike fork clamps to the frame on both sides. Two bikes, w/o front wheels are locked onto the clamps in opposite directions. Secure! As OntMont says, I do have to watch on very sharp turns and maneuvers. BTW, I have an 8' bed. This has served us for 30k+ miles.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:47 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have a large basement and have fork clamps installed in just remove the front wheels and roll them into the basement. One thing we have learned is get rid of STUFF that you don't use. We removed about 50% of the STUFF we were hauling around and now have plenty of storage. The heaviest thing in our basement is the Ladder, but I think that is a must have. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #8
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Brad...good one.

We added the standard 2" receiver to the back and a stainless eyelet to lash it 3/4 the way up which takes all the bounce out of the setup. Its very handy to move to truck when at our destination and want to go on a day trip.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
We hauled ours about 40,000 miles on our bike rack on the ladder but we were never happy with it. Now we just throw an old sheet on the bed and put them there. That has worked very well for us for the last 4,000 miles.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We have two of the Dahon folding bikes and fold them up and carry them in the basement.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #11
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
One of my Christmas presents was a bike rack that adapts to a variety of receiver sizes. We have the 2008 edition with the 1" trailer hitch so we didn't do an aftermarket add on. That being said the first trip we took with the bike rack on the back of the truck with two bicycles on the rack there was literally NO wobble, shimming, bounce, etc. I was REALLY impressed by the stability of the bicycles on the rack. It does include a strap to help cinch up the bicycles and that seemed to contribute to their stability. I am presuming the same could be said when they were on the back of Bella as the rack and the configuation of the bikes on the rack were the same and when we got to our destination there was no evidence of any movement.

IF we didn't have the Onan generator mounted in the bed of the truck we could have put them there, but the rack is definitely easier with regard to lifting and securing...

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:40 AM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Brad,
I'd like to see a video of YOU riding that for 1 minute!!!!

I don't carry bikes so I don't have that problem. But I'd sure look into something like this if I were to carry any.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:01 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Brad,
I'd like to see a video of YOU riding that for 1 minute!!!!
Can I do that in 20 second intervals! Actually my boy told me if I tried he would park it in MY bike rack!
Old 01-24-2009, 01:27 AM   #14
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
I have a reciever hitch on the front of the Dodge with a bike rack. This is our first trip with it and it worked just fine on the trip down to Mission,TX. I did rotate the handle bars 90 degrees so that they didn't hit the hood or stick so far out in front of the truck.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:51 AM   #15
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Follow link to photo of Big Butt and bikes with front hidden hitch. Transported bikes to RGV and back to Michigan several times this way, as they say:

works for us!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/izmfpjmzzLk8oGEBPqp3BA?feat=directlink

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:33 AM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We have a folding tandem bicycle.

Take a look:

BIKE FRIDAY Folding Bicycles
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:16 AM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Does anybody just use a roof rack on the crew cabs? Seems logical to me, but I never see it done. I would think that would be easier than a pin box rack?
Old 01-24-2009, 04:42 AM   #18
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I would be very interested in learning, seeing and getting experiences from those (if any) who have used the roof rack as Brad mentioned. We have the CC truck as well. I have the front hidden hitch and haul four bikes and as I have said before have never had a problem with them interfering with cooling, but visibility is a different matter, particularly at night. The tires align almost as if meant to interfere with the headlights. I can manuever the bikes where I can see with low beams, but there is no possibility of using high beams. Even low beams are partially blocked, so I am forced to use the fog lights at all times. I plan to experiment a little with inserts that lower and raise the rack itself, but I really like the idea of a roof mounted rack.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:23 AM   #19
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Brad and Bingo,

Noting we each have our own agenda, comfort level and physical abilities, we just don't wanna have to climb up and wiggle bikes around on the roof.

Bingo, know you drive a lot at night, but, we don't do that much anymore, try to NEVER do it. In last 4 years, only did it one evening when bikes were on there, yes, there is a reduction of headlight. So, we will do anything we can to not drive at night. Lots more relaxing to be sitting and feet up after dark.

Again, own agendas, comfort levels and physical abilities.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:38 AM   #20
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I understand Carol, but none-the-less......

is there anybody out there that uses the roof rack? Just curious if there are clearance problems in the back of the cab or any other problems encountered.