Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2007, 03:47 PM   #1
coupe31
Established Member

M.O.C. #6994
bouncing reliners

Just bought our new Montanna (29rss). It has a rear living area with two recliners. What a pain those recliners are. The straps that were supplied with the camper are worthless. How do you tie those reliners down while on the road? I want to go camping not spending my time moving furniture.

coupe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:02 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hello Coupe31,

Welcome to the MOC.

You are right, those big recliners are a heck of a thing to move about.
we took ours out and replaced them with these.........

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Welcome to MOC.
I put the recliners back to back and strap them with the supplied straps. It only takes a few minutes. Setting up camp takes about 25 minutes for everything, so the recliners are a minor part of the whole process for me. Try different techniques, and soon you will find a easy to do it.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Welcome to the forum Coupe!

Those chairs are heavy, but everytime I move them I remind myself it sure beats setting up tent poles in the rain!

I put mine back to back as well. The straps are really just designed to keep the chairs from turning into the path of your slide, not to stop them from bouncing.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
One word of warning as we learned the hard way when we brought ours home 2 weeks ago. One of the chairs had a staple poking out the top of the back of the chair. When we traveled with it back to back with the other chair it flayed some of the material on the back of the other chair. Bummer.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by coupe31

Just bought our new Montanna (29rss). It has a rear living area with two recliners. What a pain those recliners are. The straps that were supplied with the camper are worthless. How do you tie those reliners down while on the road? I want to go camping not spending my time moving furniture.
I'm curious as to why you have trouble tying the recliners down. We've been full timing over 6 years with approximately 20,000 miles per year and we've never had any trouble with the original recliners. We did finally get rid of one so that we could install two 2-drawer filing cabinets for my wife's graphic design business "stuff."

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:29 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
In the old 2955 we just moved them out of the way of the slide and never once strapped them down and never had a problem. In this new Monty we may strap them back to back as a test to see how they ride.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:25 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I made one trip with them face to face (not good), since then I've also traveled with mine back to back for a couple of years with no problems ... I do place a folded thick beach towel between the backs to reduce wear. Pull them together somewhat to put a little tension between them and strap them down.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:37 AM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I just turn them back to back place a towel between the back and go. I do not strap them down and have never had a problem.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:54 AM   #10
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I put the straps together to make one long strap and then put the chairs back to back as close to each other as possible and strap it around the middle of the back. That works well for us.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:35 AM   #11
countrygirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2831
We do the same thing as others do and put the recliners back to back and secure them with a strap. We also put a small pillow between the upper backs to keep down fraying. Being careful to have the recliners out of the way of the slideout is important. Also, we are careful that the recliners are not touching the small plastic fitting for the shades. We have had the experience of the recliner moving and breaking that fitting. We usually check the recliners when we make stops along the way...that is a good idea , because they will move especially on bumpy highways...It doesn't take too long to see that they are secured in the proper way. We have our own routine and once you find yours , you will be set to go!

Countrygirl or Shirley
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:43 AM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
We have no problem in our 2980RL the little oak tablein between them and back to back and straped with the factory installed straps.
and the dish sits on one chair.
http://i9.tinypic.com/2qsnjwp.jpg
Old 03-22-2007, 07:03 AM   #13
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
We did the same as Helen, back to back with a long strap but I did one other thing that helps. I turned the chairs over and removed all the rubber pieces under the bottom ring that prevents the chair from sliding. Used a hammer to get them off but it helps when moving the chairs around now.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:16 AM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Good idea Dick - no point in having rubber on carpet. I think I'll check mine this weekend. Didn't even know they had the rubber.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #15
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
Hi Coupe 31,
Our recliners were a pain as well in our 3670RL. We decided to change the location from the back of the RV to the side slide in front of the television. (We reversed the chairs and sofa location.) This helped the movement when traveling but did not stop it. Our recliners also swival and rock with the retractable foot rest. So...after a lot of re-positioning for perfect locations AND making sure that the rocker part did NOT bang against the wall, I used 1/2 inch pipe clamps and screwed the circular, tube base to the floor of the slideout. Now the chairs do not move at all...just rock. Again, be sure that they do not hit the wall when rocking (because they DO ROCK when traveling).
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:35 PM   #16
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I move them back to back. I have two long adjustable bungy cords. One chair held to the floor brackets and the other chair bungy corded to the fixed chair, a sofa pillow squeezed between the backs. Simple and easy and quicker than using the OEM straps.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:19 AM   #17
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We turn ours back to back. Use a bungie cord to hold them together, we do not use the floor holder. The backs are protected by a thick quilt. We have never had any problem.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:14 AM   #18
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We don't use Rv recliner's gave them to Goodwill and the couch also. We just push the Lazy Boys back toward the wall in the slide out were the couch was. We haven't use straps on the Lazy Boys they don't move. Mor/Ryde suspension, Pin box and the Trailer Saver air ride hitch elimates those problems. We do have a glider rocker in the rear window area and do strap in down. We have never though the Rv funiture was that good, always heavy and wasn't as comfortable. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote