Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2005, 07:34 PM   #1
Montana_1190
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1190
Nova Scotia?

We will be leaving soon for Niagara Falls and the New England States. We still haven't decided if we want to go to Nova Scotia. Have any of you been there? Did you take the ferry and your 5th wheel? Any advice on roads, campgrounds, special sights, etc., in the New England states greatly appreciated! I just can't seem to get my act together on this trip so we're going to wing it and "head east until our hat floats" as my Grandpa used to say!

Montana_1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:04 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Haven't been there but would love to see that area. Sounds like a beautiful trip. I hope you'll provide reports and pictures. Have fun! Careful about that hat floatin', though!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:12 AM   #3
Montana_1190
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1190
Steve, I went through your albums last night to see if you guys had gone that way yet but you hadn't. I guess my hang up on planning this is the east coast traffic and such. We much prefer the wide open spaces of the west but we really want to see this area of the country too! Have I mentioned that I HATE traffic? :-)
Old 08-03-2005, 08:04 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
MeinMo, Pennsylvania is as close as we've been while fulltiming. In our vacationing days we were at Cooperstown, NY, twice and Niagara Falls a couple of times. I was born roughly 30 miles from Niagara Falls. There are a number of people here who are in New England and have towed throughout the area. I've not heard of any particular challenges but maybe some of those folks will jump in and provide more info.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 05:29 AM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We took our BM 32' 5th wheel there last August (before monty). We went as far as Bar Harbor. We ran out of time before we could get to Novia Scotia. The only places we had touble was downtown Boston and when I gave Bill the wrong direction near Salem and we found ourselves unable to get out without some people moving their cars for us. Otherwise the trip was beautiful and we would do it again in a minute but would drive all the way around Novia Scotia and PEI. In fact not only would but WILL. We loved it there.
Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:39 AM   #6
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
I'm sure you will get several comments from other Canadians both good and bad. We were in the Canadian Maritime Provinces last year and will not do it again.

Nova Scotia has some very nice scenery but they have just implemented a new policy (Thanks Ministry of Tourism) - it is NOT LEGAL to be parked and asleep overnight ANYWHERE except in a campsite. Weather is considerably cooler and damper than Ontario/Quebec. We were disappointed with the campsites in Nova Scotia and absolutely disgusted with the one site we used in New Brunswick. Another point to watch for - there a few if any rest stops and even to stop for lunch en route it is almost impossible to find a place to pull over.

I understand the Scotia Prince ferry between Portland Maine and Nova Scotia is not in service this year and the Cat (Nova Scotia/Bar Harbour Maine has length restrictions - they claim 50 foot total length maximum but we did find out that we could have fitted our rig on it (last year we were towing a Mountaineer 335rls)

Quebec is well equipped for the RV tourist but be very carefull planning further east with a big rig!

OK Canadians please don't get too upset with me - this is my honest opinion
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:17 PM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We priced out the ferry between Bar Harbor and Yarmouth a few years ago, with a 30 ft TT and Ford 150 tow vehicle. When we saw the price we considered driving around the long way. Then "stuff" got in the way, and we never got there.

As much as we want to go, it just ain't happenin for us. Maybe some day, maybe a day ride over from Bar Harbor, no trailer??

DiananColin, thanks for your honest opinion.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:17 PM   #8
Montana_1190
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1190
Thanks for your responses everyone. DianaColin, I especially thank you for your honest opinion! I checked out the CAT (ferry) prices and don't think we'll be going there this time. WOW!!!
Maybe we'll cruise there in our old age!
http://www.catferry.com/fares/
Old 08-05-2005, 02:56 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
MeinMO

Looks like we won't be taking Montana over there ever, they say longest is 50 foot, I believe we are more like 53 when hooked up. Well, that settles that!

Have a great trip!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 03:17 PM   #10
THE BAILEY BEARS
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #300
We were in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia last fall and really enjoyed it. The campgrounds were fine and we found the people were extremely friendly. We did not take the ferry. We did camp in New Brunswick and took the bridge to Prince Edward Island for the day instead of pulling the Montana over the bridge and it was great. I would highly recommend anyone going. The only problem you may encounter is that campgrounds tend to close the end of Sept - Oct 15 so finding one open could be tricky. We came back through New England and again the campgrounds close early.
Met a lady in one campground in New Brunswick who came up to us and said we had her rv. Seems they want a Montana badly and she would have bought ours if we were willing to sell!
Anyway, take the trip - you will enjoy.
THE BAILEY BEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:16 AM   #11
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Never made it to Novia Scotia but I did spend a year in Maine near Freeport. Absalutly beautiful winters there. I have added a picture of my old rig after a two day snow. It looks a lot worse than it really is. The campground is (Durham Leisure Center&Campground) phone:207-353-4353 and is an excellent small campground. It is one of seven in the state of Maine that operate year round.A great place to stop in and see the sites for a week or two.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote