Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2005, 06:55 PM   #1
Montana_882
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #882
Hard Wireing Generator to Power Box

Before anyone gets shookup here I want to mention that the only way to do this is with a total safty consious attitude!!!!
As some of you may remember my generator is mounted on the front of our unit.What I did was to run the power cord that plugs into the generator back under the gooseneck and thru the front of the trailer. I then drilled a hole thru the dividing wall of the front bay and second bay.This allowed me to fish the power cord all the way back to the wall behind the circuit breaker box.At this point I installed a simple single throw disconnect switch.I then ran the power cord thru the wall to the circuit breaker box where I installed a double poll 30 amp Square [d} breaker.I then attached the power cord to the to the breaker.You can get all of these items at Lowes or any good hardware store.
Now when I am on shower power the 30amp breaker is off along with the single throw disconnect switch.I also lock the box that houses the disconnect switch so that NO ONE can turn it on.When I am on Generator power I shut off the 50amp breaker so that NO POWER is going to the shower power plugin. The last thing needed is to make sure that the wire is securly fastened to the top of the storage bays.

Montana_882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 03:36 AM   #2
Gary Swenson
Established Member

M.O.C. #1799
Eagleone, I have been looking at wiring in a plug up on the pin box for my generator that I carry in the bed of the truck. I have not been into the existing breaker box on the unit yet. I assume there were sufficient room to bring in the addditional wiring from your 30 amp breaker? Did you take any pictures of your install that you could share? Maybe a basic wiring diagram? Thanks Gary
Gary Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:36 AM   #3
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
When I wired my unit I bought a switch from CW that automatically switched the shore power to Generator power when the gen started up. That is if there was no shore power. It was not expensive, around $60 I think and the instructions are easy to follow. No plugs to worry about or switches to throw. Just start the Gen and it automatically switches to gen power.

If your gen is in the tv then you could have the same thing but use a connector at the pin area to hook your gen power cord to.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote