Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2016, 11:46 AM   #1
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Storage Bay Soft Floor

Well,just got the camper home from replacing the bed room slide floor that was rotting because of a long term leak. That was an earlier post. Today, doing preparation for upcoming trip noticed soft floor spots in the front right corner of the storage bay on the camper door side (passenger side). This is the pass through storage area. The soft spot is near the door on one side. I have never noticed any moisture or water in that area. Of course, the floor is covered by black "plastic". I assume it is the lift up door but not positive. The floor to the living area immediately above storage compartment shows no water marks or signs of moisture. Any ideas or experience with this problem?

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Soft flooring usually means water leak. Would check the seal of that compartment door. Then the water (bathroom) lines upstairs over the storage area.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:41 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Open your storage compartment door and take a look at the black rubber seal attached to the frame especially at the top. The seal is notorious for bunching up and failing simply due to closing and opening your storage door over time.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:13 AM   #4
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
Is your shower right above this area? My shower drain u joint had come loose over time and was leaking in that area.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:43 AM   #5
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
The shower is on the opposite side but the bedroom vanity is just above the storage area. I checked that and see no water marks under the vanity in the bedroom. Again, you can see the exposed plywood at the top of the storage area which is the floor in the bedroom. There are no water marks anywhere. I sprayed water on the bottom right side of the closed storage door. No water inside. Then sprayed water on the top right side of door and water is coming in there. The rubber seal looks ok but think the right top of the door when closed is not sealing properly. The rubber seal is flat in that area. Now the entire door area probably needs rechaulking as an extra precaution along with new rubber seals. Is the rubber seal just glued to the door frame?

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 02-20-2016, 07:38 AM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
There is a very good possibility that your black tank anti siphon valve is located under your vanity sink in the bedroom as was mine in my 2012 - 3402RL. When I operated the black water flush the valve leaked and came down in the storage area. Look up under your sink if the valve is in that location you will see an additional 2 plastic hoses going to and from it. Also if you look up to the floor in the storage compartment you may see the hoses to and from the anti siphon valve, the water seems to follow those pipes down.
Or you could try the black water flush and see if water appears when you use it.

After purchasing a new valve and having a repeat of the same issue, I replaced the valve in mine with a simple elbow and eliminated it, no more leaks.

Good luck

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:27 PM   #7
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
Navy banker I replaced bed room slide also and last spring my hand went through the basement floor on the right side also. I got inside compartment and the wife put the hose to it The compartment door leaked.hecked other side and it ha d a smaller leak but all the same leaked. I rep;aced the floor with a sheet of 3/4" treated plywood.Replaced all the weather stripping. By the way the side was just starting to delaminate. I took the door, frame into the garage and made sure the old caulking was cleaned off good. One year later and still dry.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #8
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
The black tank rinse valve is between the shower wall and the kitchen cabinet in this rig. Had to replace that on the first trip made in this camper.

Brooksider: I assume the plywood floor is not one piece. The dealer by phone said may be able to replace just the part that is rotten. Depends on the construction, area rotten and support beams. I also "assume" the rubber seal material is readily available at most dealerships. Once you remove the rubber seal what do you clean the area with? Denatured alcohol or mineral spirits? What glue to use? Do you by chance have any pictures of your repairs? Anyone else have any? We are leaving for Florida in a week so may have to fix the leak then decide how and where to replace the floor. Thanks,

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 02-22-2016, 09:33 AM   #9
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
Sorry no pictures. The floor is one piece but I replaced using three. The center being the largest and the pieces by the doors were I think 2' X 4'. I used allure flooring to finish it off. I removed the aluminum studed wall, well actually just swung it up and tied it to the ceiling. ( did not have to disconnect any wires.) Had to remove the convience center and disconnect the plumping. Used WD 40 and elbow grease to remove old caulking. Bought a roll of weather striping on amazon. Have lots if you were near. Again I used fiberglass resin on the cut edges of the plywood and the 2' pieces. Used a spray glue where it was delaminating and a little liquid nail where I could. Where I had the trailer parked I had a spot where I could put a brace and jamb the side with a piece of 2 x 4 to put a pressure on the delamination. I have to say that I think the leak was from day one as the bedroom slide. Piece work does not give any accountability. I know when I did a tour and the quality control put stickers on the things that need to be fixed or attention too were cosmetic only fixes only. They should be following the work stations and not the finished product. If you think I can be of further assistance PM me and I will give you my phone #
Joe
Joe
Old 02-23-2016, 04:57 AM   #10
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
I also think this has leaked since new just like the bedroom slide! I really don't remember seeing water inside other than a little when doors opened immediately after rain. Then it appeared to be a few drops from the door. We are headed to Florida next Monday so will continue to check and attempt to stop the leak. I will probably take to the dealer for replacement of the floor after we return. I will insist on marine grade plywood. The floor is also under the steps to the bedroom where a lot of electrical and heating wires and hoses are located. Don't think I want to tackle this project with my carpenter skills! I again sprayed water on the right top of the door and no water on floor. I haven't repaired anything so can not determine why it leaked the first time. Then sprayed water just above and on the top of middle of the door. The water didn't hit the left or right side and there was water on the left bottom of the floor!? There are some small cracks/slits on the door "frame/moulding" (this is what the rubber seal is attached to)attached to the camper not the door. This is where the metal "frame" does not quite meet. I sprayed the water at these cracks and that is when the water appeared on the floor to the left. The camper has not moved and is winterized so no water aboard. Thanks for all the suggestions.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 02-23-2016, 06:34 AM   #11
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
Have a safe trip and Good luck getting the floor replaced
Joe
Old 02-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #12
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Heads up! After about two inches of rain and blowing wind toward the storage bay door for last 24 hours no moisture in the bay. I placed a small piece of eternabond tap on the "cracks" in door trim, moulding or frame before the rain. These gaps have been there from the beginning! Now the gap is very small but noticeable. This frame goes into the hole made in the fiberglass side wall for the storage door to be attached to. The frame fits in the hole. I "think" the water sprayed on the top right side of door was hitting these gaps that are at the top of the door and frame. The frame or trim piece appears to be one piece and join at the top and middle. Or rather, join with a small gap on my camper. Another spraying was just on the middle of the top of the door and leaked inside. I was spraying water using the "cone - center" setting on the nozzle so was not a "jet" of water hitting the door. The door doesn't appear to leak when the very corners are sprayed. This may not be clear but all should check this if your doors are leaking. If you have the proper nomenclature for the above parts enlighten me!

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500