Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2014, 07:05 AM   #1
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
Mountaineer 331 Issues

Finally had our first trip with our 331. Loved all the room and the layout is great. Will have to buy more stuff to fill all the storage space#128521;. A little disappointed at the quality of the fit and finish (staples and wood filler used much too generously) and some of the identified issues should have been caught by the dealer prep.
So here is our list of items we will be reviewing with the dealer when we bring the unit back in tomorrow.
- water came in behind the fridge. Had big storm with horizontal rain and suspect it came in the fridge vents.
- "spice" cabinet beside the stove came open during transit and was hanging by one of the roller guides. Looks like the rear framing was installed improperly and locking mechanism needs adjusting.
- trim at bottom of island not attached properly
- when trailer is hitched to truck main door latches and locks properly. When unhitched the door won't latch(keeps popping open on its own). Have adjusted the strike plate as much as possible but still won't latch. Needs greater tolerance to account for frame flexing.
- some of the cabinet doors are rough, look unsanded, and stain didn't apply evenly. Dealer was going to check with Keystone to see if doors could be replaced. Also asked if we could get some extra stain/wood filler to fix future dings.
- HT Seating is not hooked together. The 2 chairs and centre armrest float independently. Chairs have metal hooks but centre piece has nothing for them to latch into. These 3 pieces should hook together to become one piece like our units in our house.
- Toilet seat is mounted slightly( about 1/2") off centre. It's functional but why not centred.
- Outside door has no latch on side of trailer to keep open. It has special hinges with Teflon inserts so the door won't swing freely however a good wind will still blow the door shut. Kind of irritating.
- main control panel has a little light on it with "DSI FLT" written above it. What's this for? Water filter is best idea I can come up with and we have no filter system installed on this unit that I know of?
- the Keystone manual was written for every 5er and Trailer that they Mfg. It's so generic that it's almost useless. Will have to get dealer to explain functions of all the features in the outside "Service Centre". We went thru it during the PDI but need to get some things clarified.
- A/C in L/R drips water thru vent onto the floor
- Very little air comes though to ducting in the bedroom even though I have closed the main vent on the a/c unit.
- Bathroom door works fine when unhitched. When hitched it won't close. It binds at the top. Obviously some frame flex and door mounted too high on frame.
- Fireplace fan rattles
- Had the 5th Airborne Sidewinder installed and noticed after making a turn the Pinbox doesn't always self centre. When looking in the rear view mirror the Pinbox doesn't look like it's tracking straight. Trailer seems to pull fine so not sure if this is ok or needs adjusting.
- Have Max Fans located in l/r and bathroom with rain sensors. Will have covers installed so we can keep fans open when it's raining and when travelling.
Sorry for the long post. Most of these are easy fixes just a little frustrated at how many little issues have cropped up after one short trip.
I'll let u know how we make out after our visit to the dealer. As usual any comments or suggestions from u experts out there would be appreciated.

Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn the fifth

Hello Bruce, good to hear you like your new rig, sorry to hear about the issues. One thing I believe I can answer quickly for you is the DSI FLT question. That is one of the flood lights outside. That one would be Drivers Side, but I forget what the labeling on the other one is.
-Glenn
I don't have a Mountaineer, but I have to disagree. I will bet that little red LED with "DSI FLT" written above it is located by the Gas Water Heater switch and means the gas burner has failed to light. It comes on when the switch is turned on, and goes off as soon as flame is sensed.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep Carl n Susan that is exactly what it is, when you turn the gas switch on it is trying to light when the little DSI FLT light next to the gas switch goes OFF it is lit and you can hear it when it fires up,
Old 07-29-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Yep...messed that up in an effort to assist. Sorry, not sure what I was thinking but I remembered the flood lights having some strange abbreviation and thought that was it.
Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Montana loves to use "DS" and "ODS" meaning "Door Side" or "Off Door Side" to them. Everybody else in the world who sees "DS" thinks "Driver's Side". But we digress from the OP's list of issues.

Here are my random comments/observations/opinions of some of the OP's issues:

" water came in behind the fridge. " Yup this a long standing problem with refer vents in the slide and horizontal rain. A piece of 90 degree aluminum channel siliconed on the bottom of the vent solves the problem. If the Search function was working you could find the numerous postings on how to fix this (with pictures).

" Toilet seat is mounted slightly( about 1/2") off centre." Strange as the "plastic nut" on the bottom side should center the bolts in the holes.

"Outside door has no latch on side of trailer to keep open." That is the new design using "friction hinges". They all come with them now. If you are in a windy area you may need to add a door latch available at CW or RV stores

"A/C in L/R drips water thru vent onto the floor" Another known problem that has been discussed. Could be the seal or the drip line is goofed up. I know there was something recent but but I can't find it. Maybe another owner will remember.

The fit and finish issues are not unique and should be addressed by your dealer. Montana seems to use them as the quality control staff. It isn't right, but it is the way the game is played today
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:42 PM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Disappointing list of issue. Hopefully your dealer will resolve.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote