Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
JMG
Established Member

M.O.C. #8888
Propane detector tester?

We smelled propane (I think) inside our Monty. We just returned from a 3 day trip about 48 hours before noticing the smell. Seemed like it we could smell more from the water htr space outside - but we did not use the propane heater on the wtr htr.
How can you test a propane detector? (other than with the green light)
jmg

JMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Can't suggest a way to test it, but if you smell it by the hot water heater, check the red regulator in the drivers side by the propane tank, to see if its leaking. Usually if it goes bad, it will leak out of the little hole on the side of it. Some soapy water sprayed on it might tell if its leaking. Also check your propane tank on that side, it might be low, or empty if the regulator leaks.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
If you are3 going to check the two propane tanks with the soapy water in a spray bottle then see if you can get the access panel off the water heater and spray it also at the fittings. If not I'd give Keystone a call and ask them what's up! If you can talk to a gas company employee also to see if they would bring their meter and sniffer out to check the area around the water heater!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
You can do a quick test of the detector with a butane lighter or campstove lighter by releasing unburned gas. Doesn't tell you much other than it can detect gas.

Typically you can smell propane long before the detectors can pick it up. Trust your senses - I found a leaking fitting in the LP compartment months after denial that it was really a leak I was smelling outside.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
When we went out with my parents in October, Mom could smell gas. Mom made up a solution of soapy water for me in a cup. I dribbled the solution over the connectors with a spoon (didn't have a spray bottle) and the end connecting the to RV bubbled. Dad and I turned off the bottle, disconnected the hose from the RV, put teflon tape on the male end of the connector, tightened everything down, did a "bubble test" to ensure a tight seal and they were "cooking with gas" and no more smell or leak...and, more importantly, no pyrotechnics!

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Spray solution that is easy and handy is your bottle of 409, Awesome, etc. No muss, no fuss. Spray it on and watch for bubbles!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote