Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #21
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

Here is a picture of the N-49 recall hardware installation. Looks just like Scott's image. This photo was taken of a truck that had the recall done today. Info from www.cumminsforum.com

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...ps5203ece9.jpg

Here is a second shot

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...ps49d9bb09.jpg

Appears to be a single unit.
Chrysler appears to be replacing both the Left and Right tie rods in this recall. My recall notice said only the Left tie rod and does not mention the Right.

In the first picture you see on the right side the "Left" tire rod, the second picture better illustrates the "Right" tie rod. The tie rod itself is part of the large rod with the "C" clamps that are the mounting point for the steering damper or whatever you call it.

It has to be two parts for the adjustment of the toe in and that is accomplished on the driver "Left" side.

I will try and take some pictures of mine after it is done on Monday and post them. The pictures do not appear to be of a 3500, looks to me to be a 1500 or perhaps a 2500.

On some of the earlier trucks and an earlier recall some of these parts have already been replaced by Chrysler, I guess they are doing them all again on this recall.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:44 AM   #22
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Glad to see its the left and right side.

Damn, look at all the stickers on that thing, must have traveled around the world and back! LOL
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:51 AM   #23
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
They did mine yesterday when I had mine in to replace the thermostat. I believe they only replaced the left side though, as was stated in the recall.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #24
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Just to add my two cents. I'm not a mechanic but have changed my share of tie rods and ball joints. The problem as it was shown to me is not with the ball joint but with the alignment of that joint. When not aligned correctly it binds and breaks the stud. The first recall was to check the alignment and replace any joint they thought was damaged. This recall replaces the whole assembly with one that insures the correct alignment. Even if you replace the joint in the old tie rod with a Moog it can still fail if not aligned properly.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #25
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I just spoke with my local dealership today - they are back ordered on parts for customers and they anticipate that my part will be available some time in September using today's current number of part allocations they are getting to order for this recall. I decided to take a different approach and will call Ram Customer Care on Monday - to request additional MFG money to trade this 2012 in on a 2014. I expect this money to be on top of any current rebate money that is out there as I'm not willing to wait 8 to 9 months on a safety recall to get a part in and replaced on my truck. If Ram does not want to help out and persuade me to buy a 2014 Ram, no problem, I'll buy something else. Good thing I as a consumer have nothing but endless options on how I want to handle this situation...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #26
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ishler

Just to add my two cents. I'm not a mechanic but have changed my share of tie rods and ball joints. The problem as it was shown to me is not with the ball joint but with the alignment of that joint. When not aligned correctly it binds and breaks the stud. The first recall was to check the alignment and replace any joint they thought was damaged. This recall replaces the whole assembly with one that insures the correct alignment. Even if you replace the joint in the old tie rod with a Moog it can still fail if not aligned properly.
The alignment can still be made even if the parts weren't going to be replaced. The tie rods need to be no more the 3 degrees from each other when bolted up. Think of it like the hands on a clock. Both tie rods or the hands of the clock need to be at 12 o'clock, not 12:05 or 11:55.

I think they decided to replace both because of the stress and wear at both ends but at first, the left side broke first.

scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:37 AM   #27
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Perhaps I can shed some light on the reason why Dodge is so slow with replacement parts. I'd bet lunch that Dodge doesn't make the part, it is outsourced to another company. That company, whoever it may be, might be running at capacity just to keep Dodge supplied with current production. Although they could always add capacity by either adding another shift (necessitating adding employees) or by adding overtime, both solutions add significant cost, and you can bet Dodge isn't willing to cover that additional cost unless they are forced to do so. An alternative is to get the parts from another supplier, but that takes time too.

I know it's not what you guys want to hear, but sometimes it helps if you understand what's going on, and IMHO, Dodge should at least offer an explanation as to why this recall is so painfully slow.

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #28
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
My local dealership pulled some strings and an extra "set" of tie rods was sent out to them specifically for my truck because I was making a long trip. That was fantastic service and I am most happy with having them installed today. The Service Manager told me they are still only able to order 1 set every 7 days.

My recall notice said only Left tie rod but both were replaced.

Following are two pictures first of the "Left" tire rod end and second of the "Right" tire rod which includes the heavy main rod to which the steering damper is attached with the U bolts.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #29
kampincrazy
Established Member

M.O.C. #13892
I took my truck in to the dealer today and they checked the tie rod ends said they didn't need to be replaced.
kampincrazy is offline   Reply With Quote