Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2016, 05:37 AM   #1
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
Sony TV

Our Sony has been losing it's memory lately. When we do a new scan, it seems good for a day or two or maybe a week. This morning I turned it on at 5:30 and no channels stored. I rescanned and shut off the tv about 9:30, went to TSC for propane,came back, turned on the tv and again, no channels. Can anyone give me any insight? Maybe it's just dying. After all, it is past it's warranty period.

hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:14 AM   #2
Kampn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18069
There is a memory chip on the motherboard specifically for that purpose, it's soldered in but it can be replaced. We were quoted almost 200 bucks to fix ours so we opted just to replace the TV. You could opt for a battery backup on the TV to keep power to the board when the TV is off, but some units can cause a buzzing noise on the TV and a good battery backup with a Pure Sinewave will cost as much as fixing the TV... but if you happen to have a battery back up laying around, you could test it :-)
Kampn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:07 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I think they install a "warranty timer chip" so that when the warranty expires things start to fail.

Just kidding of course, but sure seems like it sometimes. Prices have fallen so much I would just replace it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:15 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you boondock at all, replace it with an LED TV. You'll be surprised at the difference in amp draw both when on and when off.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:22 AM   #5
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
Thanks. I guess we'll have an excuse to go shopping now. Too bad they don't put the same size tv in the bedroom. I would just exchange them as we never use the one in the bedroom anyway.
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote